Review10Best compares the best DSL modems in Australia and selects the one by ASUS as the best DSL modem. In a DSL modem buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different DSL modems and see a recommendation on which DSL modem to buy in Australia in 2021. By considering the top list of DSL modems, you can find the best DSL modems and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate DSL modem buying guide
- View the DSL modem picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
The best DSL modems offer faster internet speeds than those offered by your internet service provider, making them a very worthwhile investment. However, it’s not always easy to understand what to look for in a DSL modem to ensure you get a device that improves your internet.
Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best DSL modem:
What are DSL modems?
A digital subscriber line (DSL) modem is device that connects to computers and routers to DSL configured phone lines, providing access to broadband internet.
Why should you buy a good DSL modem?
A good DSL modem is a worthwhile investment for many, especially if you need to replace a broken modem. Internet service provides typically lease their modem to customers, meaning you pay a small monthly amount to use it. So, by buying the best DSL modem from a retailer, you may end up saving money and result in faster internet speeds, especially if your IPS modem is dated. You also own the modem, and most DSL modems sold by retailers are better than those from ISPs.
How to choose the right DSL modem?
Choosing the right DSL modem is often difficult, especially for those that aren’t familiar with the various technical terminology. Here are some things to consider that will make buying the best DSL modem much easier:
- Compatibility: It’s important to choose a DSL modem that is compatible with your DSL broadband service. The current connections available for these modems include asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL), symmetrical digital subscriber line (SDSL), high data rate (HDSL) and very high data rate (VDSL), so be sure to contact your internet service provider to confirm the type of DSL modem is compatible with your internet.
- Connectivity: You need a DSL modem that connects to the appropriate devices, so for example if want to connect to several devices at once you will require a DSL modem either an Ethernet out connection that can connect to a router, or an easier option is to go for a modem with a built-in router.
- Speed: The speed of a DSL is important if you require a fast, reliable internet connection at all times. While it may not be essential for casual web browsing and using word documents, it’s essential to get a DSL modem with fast speed settings if you play video games, stream movies, or download. The top downstream speed of a DSL modem is typically around 15Mbps, with the upstream speed clocking a maximum of 1Mbps.
What is the best kind of DSL modem in Australia?
There are several options available when it comes to a DSL modem, which must be compatible with the DSL technology used with your broadband. This includes:
- ADSL Modem: Asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) modems support ADSL internet connections which is the most common type of digital subscriber line technology, being found in most homes. ADSL has downstream rates as high as 8Mbps with an upstream rate of around 1.5Mbps.
- VDSL Modem: Very high rate digital subscriber line (VDSL) modems connect to VDSL internet, which is the quickest form of digital subscriber line. Downstream rates top around 53Mbps and upstream rates hit 2.3Mbps.
- Modem Router Combo: When connecting a DSL modem to several devices using a single internet connection, you require a router to direct the various lines using the connection. An easy way to do this is to buy a DSL modem router combo, which has a router built into the DSL modem for easy connection across a sinlge network.
Top 10 list of DSL modems in Australia (June 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their DSL modems. Which DSL modem is the best?
- VPN server and client support
- Enterprise-grade security for your home network
- Manage your network anywhere without needing to boot up a PC
- TP-Link - World's No. 1 Provider of WLAN Products within last 6 years LEADING SUPPORT…
- IPTV IGMP Proxy/Snooping: supports Bridge and Tag VLAN for smooth IPTV application…
- Firewall Security: supports DoS, SPI Firewall, IP Addressing/Domain Filter, IP/MAC…
- Multi-purpose USB port supports file sharing, printer sharing, media streaming and…
- Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast and reliable internet performance
- Compatible with VDSL2, ADSL2/2+, ADSL, fibre and cable services for complete fut…
- Included Components: 1 x D-Link Cobra AC5300 Wave 2 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Modem Router
- Connectivity Technology: Ethernet
- It has a 1.8 GHz Quad-Core processor for lag-free gaming and 4K media streaming
- Commercial-grade home network security – Lifetime free ASUS AiProtection Pro,…
- ASUS AiMesh support – Create a flexible, seamless whole-home mesh network with…
- Choose your lighting vibe – Feature ASUS Aura RGB lighting effects that you…
- Ready for all connection options of the NBN (Australia) and UFB (NZ)
- Get online in minutes with our Setup Wizard
- Share your connection with multiple devices
- TP-Link - World's No. 1 Provider of WLAN Products within last 6 years. LEADING SUPPORT…
- 100Mbps VDSL – Fully compatible with VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL standard
- Superior Coverage – 3 dual-band high-performance antennas provide maximum Omni-directional…
- Eco-friendly, up to 72% power saving.
- EZ WPS connection with physical WPS push button.
- 11n Wireless ADSL modem Router.
- OS Support - Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS X
- USB 3.0/2.0 for faster file sharing, printer sharing, and speed network
- Gigabit WAN/LAN ports for the fastest, most reliable internet performance
- Download Master
- Printer server. OS Support - Windows 8 , 32bit/64bit, Windows 7 , 32bit/64bit, Windows…
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best DSL modems, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a DSL modem test. Last Update: 2021/06/21.