Review10Best looks at the best dog treats in Canada and selects the one by VitaLife as the best dog treat. In a dog treat buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different dog treats and see a recommendation on which dog treat to buy in Canada in 2020. By considering the top list of dog treats, you can find the best dog treats and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate dog treat buying guide
- View the dog treat picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about dog treats
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Pet owners always want the best dog treats for the four-legged friend but with so many products to choose from, finding the right treat for your dog can be tricky. While dogs will eat most treats you, it’s important to choose something healthy while also considering whether it serves another purpose such as training or dental hygiene.
To help find something, check out this handy guide for all info you need to get the best and healthiest dog treats for your pet.
What are dog treats?
Dog treats are small edible snacks for dogs. Perhaps best known as dog biscuits, treats have now expanded into a wide range of foods, although they typically contain a similar combination of meat-based protein, fibre, fats and carbohydrates. The best dog treats offer nutritional value and lack too many fats and preservatives, although many aren’t the healthiest for a dog - much the same as human treats!
Why should you buy a good dog treat?
Every dog deserves a few treats throughout the day, giving plenty of reason to buy some tasty snacks for them. They are a great way to reward a dog’s good behaviour and to help with various types of training through positive reinforcement, while some can serve additional purposes such as helping to clean the dog’s teeth.
How to choose the right dog treat?
Here are some things to think about when looking for the best dog biscuits:
- Ingredients: Always try to choose dog treats with a healthy balance of ingredients, mainly protein, carbs, fibre, and some fats. Try to avoid anything with too many additives and flavourings, opting for natural ingredients whenever possible, and try to limit the fat and sugar content of any treat.
- Purpose: While all treats are a welcome reward for any dog, consider whether you need them for something else. For example, many dog biscuits help improve dental hygiene, some promote healthier joints, and most can be used for training - although some are better than others for this.
- Calories: Always check the calorie content of treats and make sure that the amount you give the dog each day only counts for 10% of their daily calorie intake. It’s a useful way of working out how healthy the treats are, as those with lower calories are usually made with natural ingredients and little to no preservatives.
What is the best kind of dog treat in Canada?
There are many types of best-selling dog treats that you can buy:
- Crunchy Dog Treats: Treats with crunchy textures include the classic dog biscuit and various other snacks like cookies and bars. The harder texture of these treats also helps to clean the dog’s teeth, while many have ingredients that promote things like good digestive health and healthy bones and joints.
- Soft Dog Treats: Also called chewy treats, they have a pleasantly soft texture and flavour that dogs love and are sold in many shapes, sizes, and flavour combinations. They tend to be smaller than biscuits so are popular for training purposes.
- Meat Dog Treats: These types of treats are usually sourced entirely from meat, including things like meat sticks, jerky, pig ears etc.
- Dental Dog Treats: While most dog treats are good for dental health, dental treats are much harder and difficult to break down than other types of treat, making them even better for oral hygiene. They are edible but just take a lot of chewing to break down and digestive, which is how they are so good for teeth and gums of your dog.
Top 10 list of dog treats in Canada (October 2020)
This top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their dog treats rank and which dog treat is the best.
- Protein Packed
- Grain Free, Gluten Free
- Fresh, Never Frozen, Premium Duck Breast Fillet
- Great for TRAINING/ REWARDING
- ALL LIFE STAGES: Great for all dogs of all ages and sizes
- CANADIAN MADE: Using Canadian Beef
- No Wheat, Corn, Soy
- Oven-Baked Freshness
- All Natural, Gluten Free
- Under 2.5 calories per treat
- Contains added vitamins and minerals
- Ideal for use as a dog training treat
- No artificial colours
- Unique X shape helps clean teeth down to the gumline
- Clinically proven to reduce plaque and tartar build-up
- PureBites are Freeze Dried to lock in valuable Nutrients and Freshness
- PureBites are made in the USA
- PureBites are high in protein and less than 10 calories per treat
- Made in USA with certified USDA inspected beef
- Healthy low fat snack
- Ideal training aid for dogs
- Convenient resealable tub.
- Omega 3 for healthy skin and coat.
- Antioxidants for a healthy immune system.
- Included Components: Food
- Age Range Description: Adult
- Feed as a snack as part of a healthy diet.
- Fuel the Wag with the best of nature's ingredients.
- There are NO Grains, NO Fillers, and NO poultry by-product meals.
- Like all Nature's Recipe products there are NO artificial colours, flavours or p…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a dog treat test. Last Update 2020/10/19 22:24. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best dog treats