Review10Best compares the best olive oils in Canada and nominates the one by Colavita as the best olive oil. In our olive oils review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different olive oils and follow our recommendation on which olive oil to buy in Canada in 2020. With the olive oil comparison, you can be sure to buy the best olive oil on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate olive oil buying guide
- View our olive oil picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about olive oils
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Olive oil is widely regarded as one of the healthiest, most beneficial cooking oils available. A nutrient-rich and all-natural product, a good olive oil is a must-have for anyone looking for healthy cooking products. In fact, olive oil is used in a wide range of food and cosmetic products thanks to its various positive properties!
Looking to buy the best olive oil for your cooking? Here is everything you need to know:
What are olive oils?
Olive oil is a cooking oil obtained from olives, a fruit that grows on the olive tree. Olive oil is made by pressing olives to extract the oil, which is used as a cooking fat and as a dressing for various salad dishes. A staple of Mediterranean cuisine, only the best olive oils provide the range of health benefits everyone is talking about. Further, it is known for its pleasant taste, too.
Why should you buy a good olive oil?
The best olive oils don’t just offer a range of health benefits, they taste incredible. It’s fantastic for cooking as it remains the healthiest cooking oils available: Unlike other oils the extraction process requires no solvents or chemicals, making it one of the best oils to cook with. Rich in monounsaturated fat, vitamin E, and antioxidants, olive oil is great for your health, helping to lower cholesterol and combat a range of diseases.
How to choose the right olive oil?
Choosing the best olive oil can be difficult if you don’t know what to look for. Here are some things to consider that can help you find a great olive oil:
- Expiration Date: The best olive oils don’t age well, so it is important to find one with a suitable harvest date. If the packaging don’t reveal this information then the expiration date works to the same effect. Basically, you want a good olive oil that has a year left on its expiration date or that harvest date was within the last 12 months.
- Origin: A great olive oil is sourced, processed, and bottled in a single country, preferably in Italy or Crete. Be mindful that some products that claim to be the product of a certain county may only be bottled there, so always check the label for this info!
- Color: Don’t be mistaken into thinking certain colors of olive oil reflects their quality. Color is based purely on the type of olive fruit which there are many of so doesn’t impact the quality in any way.
- Taste: One of the easiest ways to find the best olive oil is to taste it! Granted, not every retailer provides free samples, but those that do are worth visiting. Olive oils come in many distant flavors, such as floral, fruity and herbal, so you often need to taste these yourself to find one to your liking.
What is the best kind of olive oil in Canada?
There are many types of olive you can buy, some of which are much better for you than others, while some simply taste different:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The best olive oils in terms of quality, extra virgin olive oil has the most antioxidants, making it the healthiest available. Extracted by a cold-press process, it retains most of the olive’s natural flavors and has no chemicals or solvents used to process it.
- Virgin Olive Oil: A great quality olive oil that is only slightly inferior to extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil is also unrefined, allowing it to maintain the natural taste. The only notable difference between it and extra virgin olive oil is that it has a slightly lower acidity level.
- Refined Olive Oil: A much cheaper olive oil - refined refers to the fact it is made by refining virgin olive oil. This does remove the acidity, but also lowers the nutritional value of the oil.
- Pure Olive Oil: A basic olive oil created by a blend of refined olive oil and extra virgin olive oil. It retains the acidity but loses most of its nutrients compared to better quality oils.
Top 10 list of olive oils in Canada (April 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their olive oils rank and which olive oil is the best.
- Imported from Italy
- Certified OU Kosher. Cholesterol and carbohydrate free product
- Cold production obtained exclusively from olives harvested from the finest groves…
- Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Solid at room temperature
- No refrigeration required
- Contains select high-quality olive oil from Italia
- Tasting characteristics: "Aromas of green fruit, green grass, artichoke and…
- Tasting intensity: Delicate to Medium. PJ KABOS was voted 'One of the world's best…
- High in Polyphenols at 374mg/kg during production (COI testing method).
- Certified Kosher for Passover, NON-GMO, and Gluten Free
- NON-GMO, Cholesterol Free and 0 Carbs
- Made from hand-picked olives grown pesticide free
- First cold pressed
- USDA Certified Organic
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil certified organic by the USDA. Made from the first…
- Composed of refined olive oils and virgin olive oils.
- Solid at room temperature
- No refrigeration required
- Imported Olive Oil From Greece - Experience authentic Mediterranean flavors in the…
- Award Winning Olive Oil - This multiple Gold Award winning gourmet olive oil should…
- Crisp With A Chance Of Drizzle - From salads to dipping bread, organic olive oil…
- COVERED BY KITCHWISE’S INDUSTRY LEADING LIFETIME WARRANTY -- When you order…
- TOP QUALITY PRODUCT -- Kitchwise’s Oil Dispenser Set is made of top-quality…
- GREAT VALUE SET -- Your every purchase comes with two glass bottles, two pourers,…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/03/28 03:00. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best olive oils