Review10Best compares the best senior dog foods in Germany and nominates the one by bosch Tiernahrung as the best dog food. In our senior dog foods review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different dog foods and follow our recommendation on which senior dog food to buy in Germany in 2020. With the dog food comparison, you can be sure to buy the best senior dog food on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate senior dog food buying guide
- View our senior dog food picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to dog foods
- Watch recommended videos about senior dog foods
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
As your pet dog ages, so too does its dietary habits. So it’s important that you find the best senior dog food to accommodate these changes! However, choosing a new dog food after all these years can be difficult, so check out this handy buying guide for all the info you need to find a great dog food for your senior dog.
What are senior dog foods?
Senior dog food is a type of pet feed formulated for the diet of older dogs. While mostly the same as any other dog food, good senior dog food feature certain ingredients that cater to the changing dietary needs of an older dog, ensuring it gets all the nutrients it requires at this stage of its life.
Why should you buy a good senior dog food?
As your dog gets older, it’s feeding habits are going to change. Not only is it likely to eat less than it once did, but its dietary requirements change. For instance, it still needs meat but less than in the past, while some ingredients alleviate joint aches and are easier to digest. So, to ensure that your senior dog remains fit and healthy in its golden years, you’ll want to ensure it has the best senior dog food possible!
How to choose the right senior dog food?
Here are some things to think about when looking for the best dog food for your senior dog:
- Ingredients: You should always check the ingredients of senior dog food to ensure it meets your pet’s requirements. For example, most senior dogs don’t need as many calories due to a slower metabolism, so the food should typically have less meat than the adult food your dog used to eat, while high fibre content is recommended for improved digestion.
- Health Problems: Senior dogs often carry age-related ailments that require a change in their diet, so be mindful of this when switching to a new food. For instance, kidney issues are common for many older dogs, in which case a dog food with lower protein content is suitable as it puts less strain on their kidneys.
- Size: Smaller dogs live longer than larger dogs, so if you have a small senior dog then it may be worth buying a certain type of wet dog food that caters to their longer lifespan. For example, foods rich in antioxidants are recommended for older smaller dogs, as this can help reduce the rate of age-related issues developing.
What is the best kind of senior dog food in Germany?
Most senior dog food products fall in one of the two main types of dog food:
- Wet Dog Food for Seniors: Wet dog food is made of mostly fresh meat along with other plant-based ingredients. While older dogs have less energy so need less meat in their diet, smaller portions of wet dog food are a great way to ensure they all the nutrients they need while providing added moisture, which is great for older dogs that are drinking less water.
- Dry Dog Food for Seniors: This variant ist also known as kibble. Dry dog food for seniors typically has high fibre content and the crunchy texture can be great for maintaining dental health. However, some older dogs struggle to chew and digest dry dog food, so if buying this make sure it’s formulated for older dogs for easier digestion.
Top 10 list of senior dog foods in Germany (June 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their senior dog foods rank and which dog food is the best.
- With colostrum that strengthens the defences of the dog
- Immune complex of mananas and glucanes for stabilising intestinal flora and immune…
- Shell extracts for strengthening cartilage, joints and bones
- Box contents: 1 x Mera essential senior/wheat free formula/for older dogs/weight:…
- Made in Germany: Pet food from MERA is produced regionally in Kevelaer am Niederrhein…
- All-round supply: reduced phosphorus and sodium content relieves the kidneys. With…
- With valuable local herbs
- No genetic engineering; 0 % sugar additive; reduced protein content, sodium and phosphorus…
- Reduced protein, sodium & phosphorus content; protein & fat content: 21/…
- Semi-wet lining (18% residual moisture) with particularly high acceptance
- For adult dogs of all breeds, especially suitable for food intolerances and alle…
- Potato as a high-quality carbohydrate supplier
- Quality from Germany using high quality formulas and German ingredients is produced…
- Made By developed Ernährung scientists to existing food standards, it makes…
- Meradog Carecon CEPT the dog's holistic nourishment system is based on latest scientific…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/06/05 09:12 o'clock.
Other reviews related to dog foods
Recommended Video about the best senior dog foods