Review10Best compares the best bike locks in Switzerland and nominates the one from TOPTREK as the best bike lock. In our bike locks review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different bike locks and follow our recommendation on which bike lock to buy in Switzerland in 2019. With the bike lock comparison, you can be sure to buy the best bike lock on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate bike lock buying guide
- View our bike lock picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about bike locks
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The best bike locks keep your bike safe and secure, making it almost impossible to steal. Given that nobody wants to have their bike stolen, investing in a good bike lock makes a lot of sense for any bike owners out there.
Check out the buying guide below for how to choose the best bike lock to keep your bike safe:
What are bike locks?
A bike lock is a type of locking device used specifically to prevent bike theft. Most bike locks work by securing the bicycle to an object, typically a bike rack or something similar. Designs for a bike lock vary, with different locking devices, shapes, and sizes available.
Why should you buy a good bike lock?
If you own a bike and like taking it out in public, then it naturally makes sense to own a bike lock. However, as many of these products aren’t reliable, you should always look for the best bike lock possible, as this almost guarantees you bike won’t be stolen.
How to choose the right bike lock?
Choosing the best bike lock requires a bit of research, as not all locks are suitable for every individual. Here are some things to consider when choosing a bike lock:
- Size: The size of a bike lock is important as it impacts what type of objects you can secure the bike too. This may not be an issue if you have access to bike racks, but those that need to use different objects to secure their bike might benefit from a larger bike lock.
- Weight: Another important consideration for a bike lock is the weight. A heavier lock is generally more robust and reliable, but the added weight may be an issue when riding the bike. More weight when cycling means more effort to peddle, so be sure to think about this.
- How Long You Leave Your Bike: The length of time you are leaving your bike locked up will impact the best bike lock for your needs. For example, if you’re locking it up for just a quick stop every now and then, a smaller less powerful lock is more than enough. Those leaving their bike unattended for several hours, or even overnight, should look to buy a very strong lock with a high security rating.
What is the best kind of bike lock in Switzerland?
There are many options when it comes to types of bike locks, with each one offering their own advantages.
- U-Lock: One of the most popular type of bike locks, U-locks are a fantastic deterrent that offers quality security for your bike. They can resist virtually any type of tool used to break the lock (including hammers), while the horseshoe shape makes it easy to attach to most objects.
- Cable Lock: While not as strong as a U-lock, cable locks offer much more convenience. Typically made from thick metal cables, cable locks are compact and lightweight so won’t make cycling more difficult. However, there are tools that can cut through with relative ease, with bolt cutters being a notable example.
- Chain Lock: A thicker alternative to a cable lock is the chain lock. Using a robust chain rather than a wire, these are one of the best bike locks for security, being almost impossible to saw, hammer, or cut through. They are quite heavy and bulky however, so may not be the most convenient. They require often require a separate a padlock to secure them, so make sure you have one!
Top 10 list of bike locks in Switzerland (June 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their bike locks rank and which bike lock is the best.
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price converted (exchange rate: 1 EUR ≈ 1.14 CHF). Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/06/16 17:07 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best bike locks