Review10Best compares the best compasses in Switzerland and selects the one by Sportneer as the best compass. In a compass buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different compasses and see a recommendation on which compass to buy in Switzerland in 2021. By considering the top list of compasses, you can find the best compasses and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
A compass is one of the most valuable navigation tools available, being a mainstay in the packs of many campers, hikers, and outdoor enthusiasts. However, anyone unfamiliar with the device may struggle when it comes to buying one, as knowing what the best compass is for your needs isn’t always obvious.
There are different types of compasses suitable for various forms of navigation, ranging from a basic model to more advanced and accurate devices. Any of these can be suitable, so it depends entire on the needs of the individual. Looking to buy the best compass you can? Check out this handy buying guide for all the info you need:
What are compasses?
A compass is a device used for navigation and orientation. In its most basic form, it features a magnetised metal dial that sits loosely in the middle of the device, which naturally moves towards magnetic north.
Because the needle always points north, a good compass can be used determine your position on a map, establish your bearings, and navigate in a desired direction.
Why should you buy a good compass?
As one of the oldest navigational tools ever created, it’s safe to say that a compass is a very reliable tool for many. Not only does it help people navigate in areas they are unfamiliar with, the best compass devices are great for getting an accurate orientation on a map, helping you get your bearings and plan your journey in many situations. If you ever plan on going camping or hiking in the wild, then a compass is an invaluable tool that could end up saving your life. Better still, you find a great compass for an affordable price, and they are a compact and lightweight tool that can be easily added to any travel pack or survival kit.
How to choose the right compass?
Choosing the best compass can be quite difficult if you are unsure what to look for. Here are some things to consider that will help make it easier to find a suitable compass:
- Accuracy: The best compass tools are those that are most accurate, so you always want to buy one with reliable accuracy. Therefore, it’s a good idea to avoid cheap products - such as those made from plastic and without fluid-filled housings - as they are usually unreliable and susceptible to inaccuracies.
- Durability: A good compass is always durable, as the last thing you need is to be exploring the wilderness with a broken compass. There is always a chance of dropping a compass as you use it, so ensure the device you buy is made from high quality, durable materials.
- Features: All compasses come with the basic function of pointing towards magnetic north, which is certainly enough for many buyers, but you may prefer a device with additional features. For instance, and declination adjustment is a fantastic feature as it provides a more accurate reading of true north, while a sighting mirror makes it easier to match your destination with your line of vision.
What is the best kind of compass in Switzerland?
There are many types of compasses available, any of which may be worth buying.
- Baseplate Compass: Perhaps the best-known compass, it features a compass that is mounted on a transparent plastic base. There are often additional features on the compass, such as a ruler and magnifying glass for easy map reading. A great compass for first time buyers that won’t need anything too advanced.
- Thumb Compass: A small compass that is attached to the thumb, it’s great for getting quick readings on a map. A lack of a base plate does mean there can be inaccuracies, but it’s generally reliable and affordable.
- Prismatic Compass: A much more advanced compass uses by various militaries, they are known for their incredible accuracy, durability and range of features, although they cost a lot more as a result. A great compass for getting bearing readings.
Top 10 list of compasses in Switzerland (October 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their compasses. Which compass is the best?
- Decals to guide: at night, to move the surface of the compass design glow in the…
- Portable: tragen Sie den compass thanks to the belt loop directly against your body…
- Military specifications according to military standards the compass is very durable…
- Size:5.7cm/2.5cm compass size and leather bag:7cm/7cm/3.2cm A bra keyring free with…
- Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken" on the inside of the cap.
- Made of solid brass antique brass finish along with leather case. Fully hand-crafted,…
- In original packaging
- Dimensions each: approx. 3.5 x 1.0 cm (diameter x height)
- Colour: black
- Fixed declination correction scale
- Detachable snap-lock lanyard. Easy to detach for working with the map
- Balanced for northern hemisphere
- s.Oliver JEWEL puts fashionable impulses into trendy jewellery ranges for women,…
- Nice gift: whether as a gift for the brother on Christmas, the boyfriend on Valentine's…
- Perfect fit: thanks to an extension element, the accessory is individually adjustable…
- Slim and beautiful: the case is an absolute lightweight among the cases and is particularly…
- Ship ahead: North, East, South or West? Follow the compass rose and navigate your…
- Space for your cards: In addition to the car vehicle certificate, the protective…
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best compasses, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a compass test. Last Update: 2021/10/20.