Review10Best compares the best board games and nominates the one from Publisher Services Inc (PSI) as the best board game. In our board games review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different board games and follow our recommendation on which board game to buy in 2019. With the board game comparison, you can be sure to buy the best board game on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate board game buying guide
- View our board game picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about board games
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Most of us have tried a board game at some point in our lives. Fun, exciting, and very sociable, there are many reasons to invest in a great board game, but choosing a new one is certainly easier said than done for many. While classic board games such as Monopoly are well-known and easy to understand, finding a newer board game can be the challenge considering all the choices out there! Finding the best board game for your personal tastes may take some time and research, but is certainly very rewarding when done!
Looking for the best board games available today? Take a look below for all the information you need!
What are board games?
A board game is a tabletop game played on a board. Typically containing counters of some description, the pieces are moved around pre-marked surfaces on the board in accordance with whatever the rules of the game dictate. There tends to be a goal of some kind in a board game, with players or teams competing to achieve this, and therefore winning the game.
A good board game will involve a degree of skill needed to win, while some also include chance, with others not even requiring skill and thus relying solely on chance. Modern board games are wide and varied, so rules and playing tactics can be very different depending on the game.
Why should you buy a good board game?
The best board games offer endless hours of fun. Whether with friends, family, or a combination of both, you can expect to have a very enjoyable time when playing a great board game. Also, as there such an incredible range of board games available, it’s easy to find one that you enjoy. Moreover, board games provide a traditional source of entertainment that’s often lost in modern technology or games for computers and smartphones. As they mostly require several people to play, a good board game is a very sociable form of entertainment that has a lot of replay value!
How to choose the right board game?
Now, there finding the best board game is all about personal taste. As a form of entertainment, what you enjoy is purely subjective, so it can be difficult to know what might the better type of board game for you to play.
Here are some things that should make finding a great board game easier:
- Age: There are many classic board games that are suitable for people of all ages, but many modern board games are better suited for adults. So, it’s a good idea to know what age group will mostly be playing it, as you don’t want to buy a game that’s too difficult for children or respectively too easy for adults!
- Number of Players: Certain board games are designed to be played between groups while others are only for two players. It’s often a good idea to buy both two-player board games, such as chess or checkers, and group board games, such as Monopoly, to cover all bases!
- Complexity: Even adult board games can be quite difficult to understand, so you’ll want to consider how complex the board game might be. For instance, many feel the best board games are quick, easy and require less strategy, such as snakes and ladders, while others will love a more complex game rooted in strategy and tactics, such as Risk.
- Playing Length: Even a great board game doesn’t have to take too long to play, but some players will want a lengthy game to really enjoy the experience. For example, board games that last an hour or under are often viewed as great choices for children, while longer games that take several hours may be best suited for adults. However, not every adult wants to play a board game for hours, so be sure to look at this when choosing a potential game.
What is the best kind of board game?
There are simply too many types of board games to name – they date back centuries after all! However, there are certain types of games that are very popular and are worth checking out when looking for the best board game:
- Traditional Board Games: This includes some of the oldest board games that remain popular today. Many view them as timeless, and possibly the best type of board games out there. Examples include chess and backgammon.
- Children’s Board Games: Many classic board games are considered children’s, yet they are also certainly great for adults although they tend to rely more on chance than skill or strategy. Perfect for playing as a family, children’s board games include Snakes and ladders, Mousetrap, and Operation!
- Party Board Games: Designed for larger groups, party board games are often adult-orientated, although teenagers and older children will likely be able to play too. The best types of board games for playing as teams, examples include Trivial Pursuit.
- Classic Board Games: Perhaps the best-known types of board games, these are games that while different in play style, are known for being timeless and offering lots of replay value. Scrabble, Monopoly, and Risk are all prime examples of classic board games.
Top 10 list of board games (April 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their board games rank and which board game is the best.
- Updated version of the popular co-operative game
- 60 minute playing time
- For 2-4 Players
- Includes gameboard, 12 Sorry! Pawns, 44 cards, and instructions
- Hasbro gaming imagines and produces games that are perfect for every age, taste,…
- Nostalgic tabletop gameplay meets interactive digital content for an immersive gaming…
- Exciting gameplay develops STEM skills like Strategy
- Each player or team tries to score the required number of five-card sequences before…
- Play a card from your hand, and place a chip on a corresponding space on the game…
- There are 225 Colored Train Cars
- Takes 30-60 minutes to play
- One of the most popular specialty games of all time
- Game plays in 30-40 minutes
- For 2 - 4 artisans, age 8 and up
- Fun tile drafting and tile placement mechanics
- Game board measures 24.56x32.20 inches
- 115 minutes playtime
- 1-5 Players
- Age 14 and up
- 15 minute playing time
- For 2-8+ Players
- SPIN MASTER GAMES: We offer a wide array of fun & stimulating board games for children,…
- EDUCATIONAL PLAY FOR KIDS: Kids will flex their deductive reasoning skills with the…
- KID-FRIENDLY BOARD GAME: The categories are simple, allowing everyone, even young…
- Cooperative game
- Designed for 3-6 players aged 12 and up
- 60 minutes of play time
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/04/21 11:42. o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best board games