Review10Best compares the best cat litters and nominates the one by Fresh Step as the best cat litter. In our cat litters review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different cat litters and follow our recommendation on which cat litter to buy in 2020. With the cat litter comparison, you can be sure to buy the best cat litter on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate cat litter buying guide
- View our cat litter picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about cat litters
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Given the unpleasant aspects of cleaning up after your pet cat has been to the toilet, it makes sense to want the best cat litter to make the task as simple as possible. It’s important to choose a suitable cat litter otherwise cleaning up after your cat can become even messier.
Check out this buying guide for all the info you need to know to find the best cat litters for your needs:
What are cat litters?
Cat litter is a product that is placed inside of a litter box where a cat goes to the toilet. Usually made from a type of clay called bentonite, cat litter absorbs the unpleasant smell from cat waste while keeping it contained in a loose mixture, allowing for easy disposal by the pet owner.
Why should you buy a good cat litter?
If you own an indoor cat then you will want to use a good cat litter product. It’s designed to absorb the smell of urine and faeces, while also clumping together with any waste left behind in the tray. This allows for quick and easy removal of cat waste without ever needing to get too close, while also preventing the cat from going to the toilet elsewhere in your house!
How to choose the right cat litter?
Not all cat litters are made equal, with some being much less efficient at absorbing the smell and waste, so you want to make sure you choose the best cat litter! Here are some tips on how to choose the right product:
- Material: While traditionally made from clay, cat litters are now made with various materials that you may find preferable. Bentonite clay remains the classic cat litter as it’s a great absorber and clumps together, although it is on the expensive side. Silica is a cheaper alternative to this but less efficient, while plant-based options made from wood, wheat, or recycled materials are also available for those looking for an eco-friendly option.
- Cat Reaction: While you can’t take your cat shopping for litter, you can use its reaction to the product you buy to determine how suitable it is. If the cat is hesitant to use the litter tray, then it might not like the material you’ve chosen! Most cats aren’t fussy but there are certainly a few exceptions.
- Scent: Be mindful of choosing scented litters, as cats often dislike any scent coming from their litter tray. While it may seem like a good idea to remove some of the nasty smell of the litter tray, your cat is unlikely to use it.
What is the best kind of cat litter?
There are multiple types of great cat litters available, any of which may be suitable for your needs:
- Clay Cat Litters: Clay litters are the most used, being made from bentonite, which is great at absorbing the smell and moisture of urine. Clumping variations are available, clumping together faeces for easier disposable, although non-clumping types don’t do this so are going to start smell nasty much sooner.
- Silica Cat Litter: Made from silica gel beads, this type of cat litter is the best at absorbing urine and excess moistures. Absorbs the smell very well and doesn’t get dusty like clay litter, making it easier to clean the tray. It has the longest shelf life but not all cats like the texture.
- Plant-Based Cat Litters: These are made from 100% natural materials and are completely bio-degradable, making them much better for the environment than other litters. Materials vary, with popular options including wood, corn, and wheat.
Top 10 list of cat litters (April 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their cat litters rank and which cat litter is the best.
- Fresh Step cat litter: made for Extreme litter box odors, This scented Fresh Step…
- Scoop able kitty litter: make cleaning easy with the clump lock technology that absorbs…
- Low dust litter: for cleaner surfaces and clearer air, we Developed a low dust formula…
- Forms hard clumps that don't break down making easier to scoop up and clean the box…
- Ideal for sifting and mechanical litter boxes so it's easier for you to dispose of…
- Multi-cat formula and superior odor control keeps your home smelling clean and fresh…
- Our largest size
- Patented formula seals and destroys odors on contact. Rock hard clumps
- 7 day odor-free Home,
- 99.9 percent dust free formula
- Strong clumps stay together for easy scooping
- Offers immediate odor control
- Clumping cat litter: lock in liquid and odor on contact with this high absorbent…
- Odor control: 10 days of odor control helps keep the litter box and your home smelling…
- Low dust cat litter: for cleaner surfaces and cleaner air, This litter is 99% dust…
- Tight, strong clumps for easy scooping
- Recyclable bags offer an eco-friendly option
- Bundle packaging includes four 12 lb. bags for a total of 48 lbs. for added conv…
- Half the weight of leading clumping cat litter and forms strong, tight clumps for…
- Clear Springs scent adds a pleasant fragrance to your home
- Ammonia Blocker prevents ammonia odor from forming for at least two weeks when used…
- age range description: All Life Stages
- Fights odors longer: fight litter box odors with Fresh Step advanced cat litter that…
- Lightweight 50 percent Lighter
- Ultimate Performance 35 Days, 140 Clumps
- Dust-Free Low Tracking
- 99.9% dust-free
- Forms strong, tight clumps for easy cleanup
- Locks in moisture to keep cats dry and comfortable
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/03/28 05:55. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best cat litters