Review10Best compares the best cough syrups and nominates the one by Robitussin as the best cough syrup. In our cough syrups review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different cough syrups and follow our recommendation on which cough syrup to buy in 2020. With the cough syrup comparison, you can be sure to buy the best cough syrup on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate cough syrup buying guide
- View our cough syrup picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about cough syrups
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The winter brings cold and unpleasant weather to much of the world, leaving many susceptible to winter colds and flu. One of the worst areas affected by this is our throats. Many people end up with sore throats and nasty coughs, which only serve to make a cold or flu feel worse. Finding a great a cough syrup can often make things a bit more bearable during these moments. Yet knowing the best cough syrup for your condition isn’t always straight-forward, especially when you see how many products are available.
Looking for the best cough syrups possible to alleviate a sore throat and cough? Then check out our handy guide below:
What are cough syrups?
Cough syrup is a type of cough medicine used to treat severe coughing and related symptoms. There are many types of cough syrup to accommodate the various types of coughing symptoms, most of which are sold over the counter.
Why should you buy a good cough syrup?
A good cough syrup can help alleviate coughing and coughing related symptoms. While not a direct cure for the condition causing the coughing, it can make it more bearable. Some suppress coughing while others can encourage you to cough up phlegm, although some will result in drowsiness, so are best taken before sleep. In any case, the best cough syrups provide some relief from the symptoms of your cough.
How to choose the right cough syrup?
Finding the best cough syrup will depend entirely on your cough and any symptoms that are a result of a cough. Here are some other things to consider so you can find a suitable cough syrup:
- Type of Cough: Different cough syrups are designed to help with different types of coughs, so knowing what type of cough you have is important for finding a suitable syrup. A productive cough sees you cough up more mucus and phlegm than normal. The best cough syrup to treat this is either a mucus cough syrup or a chesty cough syrup. An unproductive cough produces virtually no mucus or phlegm, making dry or tickly cough syrup the better choice of medicine.
- Cough Duration: Most coughs caused by viral infections like the cold or flu only last a few weeks. If this is the case, then it’s a good idea to start looking for suitable cough syrups, but any cough more than three weeks should be seen by a doctor.
- Cough Symptoms: Think about whether your cough is causing other symptoms such as a sore throat, aches, or congestion. If this is the case, then consider going for a combination cough syrup that can alleviate other symptoms.
What is the best kind of cough syrup?
There are a few different cough syrup products available, including:
- Cough Suppressants: These are the best types of cough syrup to help with a dry cough. The reason for this is dry coughs result in no mucus or phlegm, so the throat becomes irritated during a cough. Cough suppressants cause the body to suppress coughing, which reduces irritations and discomfort caused by a cough.
- Cough Expectorants: A great cough syrup for anyone with a chesty cough, expectorants help the body cough up phlegm and mucus build-ups, which makes coughing much easier. It works by thinning the mucus, which can then be coughed up with more ease.
- Combination Cough Syrup: As the name suggests, this cough syrup combines aspects of both suppressants and expectorants, and some also come with other pain relief ingredients. This is a great cough syrup if you’re suffering the full effects of a cold, which causes many different symptoms beyond just coughing.
Top 10 list of cough syrups (February 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their cough syrups rank and which cough syrup is the best.
- Suitable for adults and children 12 years and over
- Raspberry flavored, daytime cough medicine delivers fast, effective cough relief
- Maximum-strength formula with expectorant that thins and loosens mucus for productive…
- [Sulfite & Alcohol Free]
- [Great Tasting Relief] Available in Orange and Grape flavors
- [Advanced Time Release Formula] Suitable for day and night
- At Boiron, we believe there’s more than one way to feel better. Since 1932,…
- Chestal Honey Cough Syrup works naturally with your body.
- Recommended for everyone ages 2 and up, Chestal Honey is available for both adults…
- Fast relief of coughs and congestion due to cold and minor bronchial irritations.All…
- Suitable for adults and children four years and over
- Alcohol-free formula with grape flavor and can be taken during the day or at nig…
- Powerful cough suppressant controls impulse to cough to help you sleep
- Large Family Size
- Herbal Honey Loquat
- Natural relief of sore throat, coughs, hoarseness, and loss of voice
- Certified gluten-free and contains no artificial colors
- This multi-symptom cold relief formula sends coughs packing with active ingredients…
- 19.2% of every dose contains real, grade A, True Source Certified Honey
- Clears bronchial congestion
- Relieves coughs
- Non-drowsy Cough Suppressant and Expectorant Syrup
- WE'LL BEE THERE: Healthy families start with wholesome ingredients for everyone from…
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: From vitamins that help support immune systems to cough syrups…
- THROAT RELIEF: Made with ingredients like honey & agave syrup, we’ll be…
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Clears bronchial congestion
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/02/20 12:02 o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best cough syrups