Review10Best compares the best dog treats and nominates the one by Milk-Bone as the best dog treat. In our dog treats review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different dog treats and follow our recommendation on which dog treat to buy in 2020. With the dog treat comparison, you can be sure to buy the best dog treat on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate dog treat buying guide
- View our dog treat picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about dog treats
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Pet owners always want the best dog treats for the four-legged friend but with so many products to choose from, finding the right treat for your dog can be tricky. While dogs will eat most treats you, it’s important to choose something healthy while also considering whether it serves another purpose such as training or dental hygiene.
To help find something, check out this handy guide for all info you need to get the best and healthiest dog treats for your pet.
What are dog treats?
Dog treats are small edible snacks for dogs. Perhaps best known as dog biscuits, treats have now expanded into a wide range of foods, although they typically contain a similar combination of meat-based protein, fibre, fats and carbohydrates. The best dog treats offer nutritional value and lack too many fats and preservatives, although many aren’t the healthiest for a dog - much the same as human treats!
Why should you buy a good dog treat?
Every dog deserves a few treats throughout the day, giving plenty of reason to buy some tasty snacks for them. They are a great way to reward a dog’s good behaviour and to help with various types of training through positive reinforcement, while some can serve additional purposes such as helping to clean the dog’s teeth.
How to choose the right dog treat?
Here are some things to think about when looking for the best dog biscuits:
- Ingredients: Always try to choose dog treats with a healthy balance of ingredients, mainly protein, carbs, fibre, and some fats. Try to avoid anything with too many additives and flavourings, opting for natural ingredients whenever possible, and try to limit the fat and sugar content of any treat.
- Purpose: While all treats are a welcome reward for any dog, consider whether you need them for something else. For example, many dog biscuits help improve dental hygiene, some promote healthier joints, and most can be used for training - although some are better than others for this.
- Calories: Always check the calorie content of treats and make sure that the amount you give the dog each day only counts for 10% of their daily calorie intake. It’s a useful way of working out how healthy the treats are, as those with lower calories are usually made with natural ingredients and little to no preservatives.
What is the best kind of dog treat?
There are many types of best-selling dog treats that you can buy:
- Crunchy Dog Treats: Treats with crunchy textures include the classic dog biscuit and various other snacks like cookies and bars. The harder texture of these treats also helps to clean the dog’s teeth, while many have ingredients that promote things like good digestive health and healthy bones and joints.
- Soft Dog Treats: Also called chewy treats, they have a pleasantly soft texture and flavour that dogs love and are sold in many shapes, sizes, and flavour combinations. They tend to be smaller than biscuits so are popular for training purposes.
- Meat Dog Treats: These types of treats are usually sourced entirely from meat, including things like meat sticks, jerky, pig ears etc.
- Dental Dog Treats: While most dog treats are good for dental health, dental treats are much harder and difficult to break down than other types of treat, making them even better for oral hygiene. They are edible but just take a lot of chewing to break down and digestive, which is how they are so good for teeth and gums of your dog.
Top 10 list of dog treats (June 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their dog treats rank and which dog treat is the best.
- Fortified with 12 vitamins & minerals to help keep your dog at his or her be…
- Real beef for protein and a savory flavor
- Wholesome, delicious treat that you can feel good about giving
- Rich in calcium to help maintain strong teeth and bones
- Tasty and nutritious with real bone marrow
- Wholesome, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Flavored dog treats contain delicious bison flavor dogs love
- Medium dog treats are suitable for dogs up to 35 pounds
- Dog treats contain no added salt, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors
- 100% Natural And Made In The Usa
- Only Quality Materials Used In Big Heart Products
- Tasty And Easy To Digest For Your Pet
- Crafted in the USA using the Earth’s best ingredients
- No corn, no wheat, no soy. No artificial colors or flavors
- These natural dog treats feature cherries and turmeric to help maintain a healthy…
- Decadent, Gourmet Dog Treats
- These Uniquely Shaped Treats Provide Long Lasting Entertainment
- Made With Premium Chicken, Wholesome Duck And Hearty Liver
- Trusted For over 90 Years: Since 1926 Old Mother Hubbard Has Been Baking Wholesome,…
- Made In North America: Backed By The Old Mother Hubbard Guarantee And Proudly Made…
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Artificial P…
- Made in the USA
- Tender jerky is easy to break into smaller pieces
- A mouthwatering aroma that dogs just can't resist
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
- Contains (1) 4-oz bag of Blue Buffalo wilderness trail treats wild Bits high protein…
- Grain free dog treats: featuring only the finest natural ingredients enhanced with…
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
- UNIQUE SHAPE - With its unique shape, these pork chomps help clean gums and teet…
- GSFI CERTIFIED - Global Food Safety Initiative
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/06/04 11:52. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best dog treats