Review10Best compares the best eReaders and nominates the one from Apple Computer as the best eReader. In our eReaders review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different eReaders and follow our recommendation on which eReader to buy in 2019. With the eReader comparison, you can be sure to buy the best eReader on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate eReader buying guide
- View our eReader picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about eReaders
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The best eReaders store thousands of books for your reading pleasure, while others also come with additional features such as the ability to use applications. This makes buying an eBook Reader a great investment for book-lovers and tech geeks alike, offering endless hours of entertainment for a very reasonable outlay. Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best eBook Reader!
What are eReaders?
An eReader, often called an eBook reader, is an electronic device that allows books, magazines, newspapers, and other printed mediums to be read in digital format. The screen of an eReader is designed to closely mimic that of a printed page, although this often varies depending on the device. For instance, a dedicated eReader such as the Amazon Kindle aim to replicate the feel and look of a physical book, whereas tablet devices with an eReader application tend to appear more as a computer screen, making it more susceptible to glare due to the type of glass used. Even with a good anti-glare screen protection the reading experience is different.
Why should you buy a good eReader?
A good eReader device doesn’t cost much, and the initial investment often pays for itself over the long term. This is because it’s generally much cheaper to buy an eBook for an eReader compared to buying a physical book, so if you read lots of books this can save a fair amount of money over time. Especially tech books are available with huge discounts, such as popular project management books or best-selling books about linux. Also, the best eReaders store thousands of books, meaning you have access to a huge library of literature on a single device, which is very convenient. eReaders are also excellent for commuting, with most being compact and lightweight devices that are easy to use on the go.
How to choose the right eReader?
Choosing a great eReader is typically down the individual needs, as not everyone requires the same type of device. So, it helps to consider a few things before you buy an eReader to ensure you get a suitable device.
- Backlight: Older eBook Readers didn’t have the best backlight technology, which made it quite difficult to read in certain conditions. Most newer devices now feature decent backlights, although this isn’t a given. Most people enjoying reading at night time, often before going to bed, so if this is the case for you it’s a good idea to get an eReader with a good backlight.
- Screen Size: Dedicated eReader devices usually have smaller screens compared to tablets, so think about how big you want the screen to be. Many people prefer as large a screen as possible for reading eBooks, in which case a tablet device is going to be the better choice than a dedicated eReader. While smaller in size, there are dedicated eReaders with large screens, although this will cost more.
- Battery Life: The best eReader devices have long-lasting batteries, which is certainly a feature to look out for if using it on the go. Remember, tablet devices use a variety of other applications beyond an eReader, so this will drain the battery quicker than a dedicated eReader, which have quite an impressive battery life.
- Compatibility: eBooks are published in various formats, so it’s important to get an eReader with suitable compatibility. For instance, ePub is the most widely used eBook format, so a good eReader should be compatible with this type of file. However, Kindle devices use their own unique format known as AZW, so if you buy this type of device you will only be able to use eBooks from Amazon. There are several other dedicated formats, so always check which formats are compatible with the device you’re considering buying.
What is the best kind of eReader?
There are a few popular types of eReader available, any of which may be ideal for your needs.
- Dedicated eReader: A dedicated eReader is the best device for reading eBooks, offering exceptional reading quality, good lighting, and huge catalogs of books to read. They differ from tablet devices in that they use E-ink technology. E-ink technology creates a screen that closely resembles the page of a book. It only uses black, white, and shades of grey, resulting in very clear and readable text. These devices look and feel more like a real book, being lightweight and possible to read in direct sunlight without any glade.
- Tablet eReader: Most tablet and the latest smartphone devices are capable of converting into an eReader, so if you’re looking for a more versatile device along with your eReader, it may be worth buying a tablet. These devices use various applications and can be used to read magazines and newspapers that feature images, audio, and video. While more versatile, a tablet will cost a significant amount more than a dedicated reader and is going to be heavier and less compact, although the screens are much bigger.
Top 10 list of eReaders (August 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their eReaders rank and which eReader is the best.
- iOS 12 with Group FaceTime, shared augmented reality experiences, Screen Time, and…
- Lightning connector for charging and accessories
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Prime members get unlimited access to over a thousand books and magazines, millions…
- Enjoy millions of movies, TV shows, songs, Kindle eBooks, magazines, Android apps,…
- 32 or 64 GB internal storage expandable by up to 256 GB (using the microSD slot).…
- Enjoy millions of movies, TV episodes, songs, books, apps, and games
- 90-day limited warranty
- Dual-band Wi-Fi
- Get instant access to new releases and bestsellers, plus over a million titles at…
- The built-in adjustable light lets you read indoors and outdoors, day and night.
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours.
- Enjoy more books with Audible. Pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to switch…
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours.
- With Prime Reading, Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand…
- Instant access to new releases and bestsellers, or over a million titles at $2.99…
- Enjoy twice the storage with 8 GB. Or choose 32 GB to hold more magazines, comics,…
- Keep reading-a single charge lasts weeks, not hours.
- 7. 64 x 5. 91 x 1. 06 inches, 180G
- Comfort Light: Built-in
- Works with Audible - pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to switch seamlessly…
- Instant access to millions of books, newspapers, and audiobooks.
- Reads like real paper with the latest e-ink technology for fast page turns.
- Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles
- Massive selection, lowest prices--over a million titles at $2.99 or less
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
- Android System: Android 6.0 eReader with 1.6G of Quad-core, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of…
- Pressure sensitivity: The Wacom stylus with 4096 levels pressure sensitivity is capable…
- Dual Touch: Both finger touch + stylus touch are supported that helps to manage the…
i,ii Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/08/24 16:35 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program (case i) and Kelkoo Associates Program (case ii), a affiliate advertising programs that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon and other merchants. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best eReaders