Review10Best compares the best food steamers and nominates the one by Oster as the best food steamer. In our food steamers review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different food steamers and follow our recommendation on which food steamer to buy in 2020. With the food steamer comparison, you can be sure to buy the best food steamer on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate food steamer buying guide
- View our food steamer picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about food steamers
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Finding the best food steamer results in fresh tasting and nutritionally packed food for your meals, making it a great investment for most kitchens. However, choosing the right food steamer can be difficult, if you don’t know what to look for. So check out this handy buying guide for the info you need to know:
What are food steamers?
A food steamer is a kitchen appliance used to steam cook food. It includes a multi-tiered container where you can place various types of foods, which are then cooked by a constant supply of steam generated from the bottom unit. The food is enclosed to contain all the steam, resulting in quick and efficient steam cooking.
Why should you buy a good food steamer?
The best food steamers are convenient and versatile. They can be used to quickly steam all kinds of foods, perhaps working best for steaming vegetables. This method of cooking vegetables helps to retain flavour, texture, and nutritional value, with very little effort required by the user.
Moreover, the steamer can be used to prepare rice, meat, pasta, fish, and even boiling an egg! Plus, because everything is done in a self-contained unit, there’s less cleaning up to do.
How to choose the right food steamer?
Unsure of what to look for in a good steamer? Here are a few things to think about to help you find the best food steamer:
- Material: Food steamers are available in various materials including bamboo, steel, aluminium, and plastic. While it won’t impact the overall functionality of the steamer, the material will determine the price and how easy it is to clean. Plus, some materials will better match the decor of your kitchen.
- Size: Think about what size of food steamer is best-suited for your needs. The container size can vary significantly, with some holding just a few portions of food and others that can hold much more. Consider how many people you are cooking for at any given meal, with larger models better for families or people doing lots of meal preparation.
- Features: There are certain additional features you may find useful in a food steamer. For example, a digital timer is a great way to ensure you don’t overcook anything, while many come with preprogrammed settings for convenient steaming of different foods. The best food steamers come with interchangeable containers for different food types, such as a rice bowl or a roasting rack.
What is the best kind of food steamer?
There are several types of great food steamers available including:
- Bamboo Steamers: This is a specialist food steamer designed to steam cook dumplings but it can also double as a traditional tiered food steamer. Made from bamboo wood, it consists of several baskets stacked on top of each other and is placed over a pot of boiling water to steam cook food.
- Metal Steamers: This is a classic type of steamer that is placed on top of an induction hob, working like a large cooking pot. Inside the pot are several tiers for placing different food, with water being added to the base and then heated to produce steam. They are usually made from aluminium or steel.
- Electric Steamer: Electric steamers are the most common type of steamer. Just add some water and plug in the device, with steam rising into a multi-tiered container above to cook the food. These food steamers are very affordable, simple to use, and can come with various extra features.
Top 10 list of food steamers (April 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their food steamers rank and which food steamer is the best.
- Power indicator light
- Auto shut-off when cycle is completed and/or water is empty
- The food containers are to be hand-washed in soapy water, not to clean in Dishwasher…
- Digital touchpad - makes setting the countdown timer and other functions easy
- Automatic warm - switches to warm when food is ready
- Dishwasher safe baskets, including a rice bowl perfect for white or brown rice and…
- Water level indicator with double external see-through water-fill inlets on both…
- 60-minutes timer with safety auto-off when water is empty
- No oil, no smoke, no mess - cleaning up is easy. Steam baskets and rice cup and dishwasher…
- Features auto-shutoff with boil dry protection so you are ensured foods are being…
- Vegetables are kept as close to their natural raw state as possible, while heating…
- Ideal for any kitchen
- Hand wash Recommended
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Glass cooking pot
- Glass lid
- Included Components: Steamer unit
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEED - We pride ourselves in having the best steamer insert. As…
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS - Not only can it be used as a food steamer basket, but also can…
- FOLDABLE LEGS & REMOVABLE CENTER POST – Three foldable legs with silicone…
- Easy to use, clean and store
- Automatically shuts off when water tank is empty
- Stainless steel base is attractive and durable
- 100% Risk Free Purchase - Food steamer with 2 year quality assurance, you can find…
- Easy to Clean and Use - For cooking different types of food is to place one bowl…
- Timer with auto shut off - It is set by timer, goes up to 60 minutes to cook. The…
- 2-Year on this product that ensures your satisfaction, so you can enjoy it for years…
- Steaming retains nutrients and eliminates the need for cooking oils. Boil-dry protection,…
- Stackable 2-tier food steaming, non-slip upper lid knob, anti-scalding handle, clear…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/03/27 12:15. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best food steamers