Review10Best compares the best green teas and nominates the one from Bigelow as the best tea. In our green teas review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different teas and follow our recommendation on which green tea to buy in 2019. With the tea comparison, you can be sure to buy the best green tea on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate green tea buying guide
- View our green tea picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to teas
- Watch recommended videos about green teas
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Green tea is one of the most popular types of tea after black tea, known for its crisp, refreshing taste and potential health benefits. However, with many types available finding the best green tea can be a struggle, especially if you’re unsure what to look for. Check out the handy buying guide below for all the info you need to find the best green teas.
What are green teas?
All tea comes from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis shrubs, which can be processed in several ways to achieve different types of tea. Green tea is produced from the freshest Camellia sinensis leaves that have yet to oxidize (the process that turns them into black and oolong teas), steaming them to produce a beverage that is in a mild in flavor and light in color. Unlike other types of tea, green tea tastes best when brewed on its own, with additives such as milk or sugar not combining well with the beverage.
Why should you buy a good green tea?
Many of the health claims surrounding green tea are greatly exaggerated, although it does feature various properties that promote good health. For instance, the best green teas are rich in antioxidants and B vitamins, while containing potassium, magnesium, and folate. So it’s certainly a healthy beverage to consume. It’s also very refreshing and low caffeine, making it a fine alternative to coffee or black tea. Furthermore, various studies have been conducted that suggest drinking green tea could offer a range of health benefits. So there is certainly no harm in adding the drink to your diet.
How to choose the right green tea?
Looking to buy the best green tea possible but aren’t sure how to choose the right one? Consider some of the following things to help make it easier:
- Type: While all green tea comes from the same plant, there are many types available. Sencha, jasmine, longjing, and gyokuro green tea are some of the most popular options, although there are dozens of varieties to choose from. Be sure check the type of green tea before you buy, reading descriptions on the packaging for more info about the taste, origin, aroma etc.
- Freshness: The best green tea is always the freshest, as it doesn’t really age well. So, make sure the green tea is reasonably fresh by checking the harvest date, and remember you can maintain the freshness by storing tea in the refrigerator.
- Brewing Method: Not all green tea is made in the same way! While there are many types available in traditional tea bags, many of the best green teas are sold loose. This means you need appropriate brewing equipment, such as a tea strainer, a French press or at least a good electric kettle. So be sure to check the brewing method before you buy!
What is the best kind of green tea?
There is a huge selection of amazing green teas out there, so it’s impossible to list the different types. However, there are some that have become regarded as the best tasting green teas due to their popularity. This includes:
- Jasmine Green Tea: This type of green tea has a wonderfully sweet with fantastic flowery aromas, although be aware that cheaper products can feature artificial sweeteners and preservatives. Go for organic green tea that is naturally scented, as the taste is much better.
- Longjing Green Tea: The most popular Chinese green tea, longjing is also pleasantly sweet and features a mild chestnut flavor. Very rich in flavor, it can be one of the costlier green teas, although its quality certainly makes it worth every penny.
- Sencha Green Tea: A great green tea for first-time drinkers, it’s an affordable option that comes with plenty of quality. The taste is rather mild, with hints of grass to the flavor, and it’s a fine choice for an everyday tea drinker.
Top 10 list of green teas (September 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their green teas rank and which tea is the best.
- UNCOMPROMISED QUALITY SINCE 1945: Since Constant Comment, Bigelow has been a leader…
- AMERICAN MADE TEA: In 1945 Ruth Bigelow created our first tea, Constant Comment,…
- TRY EVERY FLAVOR: There's a Bigelow Tea for every mood and every time of day. Rise…
- NO ADDITIVES: ITO EN teas are brewed with no artificial colors or flavors so you…
- ANTIOXIDANT RICH: brewed from premium Japanese loose tea leaves, Oi Ocha provides…
- ZERO CALORIES: ITO EN's Oi Ocha Green Tea has no sugars or artificial sweeteners,…
- LOVE IT OR WE BUY IT - We don't think you should pay for products that you don't…
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC - All our products are certified USDA Organic by California…
- 100 ECO-CONSCIOUS TEA BAGS - Our premium tea bags are constructed of Abacá…
- Lipton, for people who love tea
- Rainforest Alliance Certified
- 165mg Tea Flavonoids per 8 fl oz serving
- Green Tea is a proven source of antioxidants, which promote eye health and aid the…
- The tag has a slot pre-cut in it to fit on the edge of your cup!
- Nylon filter bag for optimum water flow during brewing!
- Love It or Your Money Back - if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase of…
- Healthy Superfood - matcha is a great source of beneficial green tea nutrients and…
- Create Amazing Matcha Recipes - Culinary Grade Matcha is an affordable way to add…
- Certified Organic by: IMO Switzerland
- Individually Wrapped
- USDA Organic
- Individually wrapped.Total 100 count
- A typical cup of green tea has about 20-30mg of caffeine,and a cup of coffee ranges…
- Green tea has been the herbal supplement with a history of use dating back 4,000…
- Individually wrapped tea bags
- 100% organic green tea
- Box Dimensions: 8.611"H x 11.328"W x 3.404"D
- It can be enjoyed on its own or with milk and sugar
- Steep for 1-3 minutes in boiling water before drinking
i,ii Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/09/17 17:19. o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program (case i) and Kelkoo Associates Program (case ii), a affiliate advertising programs that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon and other merchants. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Other reviews related to teas
Recommended Video about the best green teas