Review10Best compares the best home theater systems and nominates the one from ONKYO as the best home theater system. In our home theater systems review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different home theater systems and follow our recommendation on which home theater system to buy in 2018. With the home theater system comparison, you can be sure to buy the best home theater system on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate home theater system buying guide
- View our home theater system picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about home theater systems
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
A quality home theater system replicates the viewing experience found a movie theater but from the comfort of home. There are many types of great home theater systems available, although traditionally it refers to types of audio systems that vastly improve the sound when viewing a movie. The best home theater system will help to make your home more like a movie theater.
What are home theater systems?
A home theater system refers to audio, and sometimes visual, equipment that is set up in a private home to recreate the viewing experience found at a movie theater. Essentially, it’s any equipment that can be used to improve your entertainment system at home, although it traditionally refers to a surround sound audio systems that are connected to a television set to create an even better viewing experience from home.
Home theater systems may consist of various pieces of audio equipment, such as quality speakers, a great subwoofer and a premium AV receiver, while others can feature fewer components such as a inexpensive soundbar.
Why should you buy a good home theater system?
When viewing a movie from home, there is a distinct drop in sound quality when compared to that found in the movie theater. Obviously, movie theaters have much more sophisticated sound equipment, resulting in incredible audio that can greatly enhance the viewing experience of any film. Should you appreciate movies and want to enjoy them as much as you did in the movie theater, a great home movie theater system can be a fantastic addition to your entertainment setup.
Sound is an often-overlooked aspect of a movie, and it can really decrease in quality when viewed on an inferior audio system - the best home theater systems allow you to enjoy the audio of a movie as it was originally intended.
How to choose the right home theater system?
There are many factors to consider when trying to find the right home theater system, so it is important to understand what you wish to achieve from adding this to your home. For instance, where will the home theater system be set up – is it in a large living space or a smaller location such as bedroom? Different home theater systems will be better suited to certain environments, while other aspects such as your budget or feature you want will impact your decision.
Here are some things to consider when trying to choose the best home theater system:
- Price: Much like any other entertainment system, a good home theater system is available in a range of prices, and your budget will determine what system is right for you. Price isn't always a guarantee of quality, as cheaper options will often be all-in-one home theater systems that are still very good in terms of quality. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as many will find this more than suitable. Separate home theater systems will have more individual pieces of hardware, such as speakers and a good DVD player, and often produce better sound - so understandably, they are often costlier.
- Audio Quality: As the main goal of a good home theater system is to recapture the sound quality of a movie theater, you will want a system with quality audio. The highest quality systems will produce a sound similar to that of a movie theater, with crisp, sharp audio that allows you to hear everything clearly. Also, the more speakers you have, the better the sound system will be, but this will be a more expensive route.
- Usability: Setting up and operating a home theater system can be hard work, especially if you are not the greatest with technology. All-in-one systems can be easier to set up as there are fewer things to install and configure, and you should also want a system that can be easily used once installed.
What is the best kind of home theater system?
There is no shortage of options when it comes to finding the best home theater systems. Here are some of the most popular options currently available:
- All-in-one Home Theater Systems: Arguably the simplest system to use, these are a great choice for first-time buyers looking to improve their audio system with little hassle. Every part of a home theater system is included – amplifier, speakers, cables and anything else needed to connect and operate the system. They may include a quality Blu-Ray player, while high-end options can include more speakers and subwoofers to increase the overall audio quality.
- Separate Home Theater Systems: This option involves buying each piece of equipment separately, so you will need to buy speakers, amplifiers, cables, subwoofers and anything else individually. You then set everything together, although this requires prior knowledge to sound configuration and various other settings. While it can produce an incredible sound that is designed to specifically meet your personal needs, it can be rather difficult to setup. So it is better for enthusiasts looking to upgrade their current system.
- Standing Home Theater Systems: A standing home theater system will have floor standing speakers that are placed on the floor in front of the television. As these speakers can be large in size, they often provide the best audio quality, the bass is especially great, but can be difficult to fit in smaller spaces.
- Bookshelf Home Theater Systems: This system involves smaller speakers that are placed on bookshelves, making them the best choice for smaller spaces as you can spread the speakers throughout the room.
Top 10 list of home theater systems (May 2018)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their home theater systems rank and which home theater system is the best.
- 192 kHz/24-bit DAC for All Channels
- Included top- quality six-piece surround-sound speaker system that's just the right…
- Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
- NO Wi-Fi
- Connectivity: Bluetooth
- Input: 1 USB, 1 HDMI Out, 1 Digital Audio (Optical)
- Plug and Play Connections, 3.5MM Aux to RCA Wire Included
- Magnetically Shielded Speakers with Computerized Enclosure Design
- 5 Discrete Independent Channel Input/output for true surround sound
- The NS-SP1800BL is a standalone 5.1 channel speaker package. It is not wireless…
- 8" 100W cube-type high power subwoofer, Wall hanging capability
- Magnetic shielding (all speakers),Connector: Type Spring Clip
- 6-1/2" 100 watt powered subwoofer
- 5.1-Channel compact Black gloss speaker package
- YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker set up
- Use for home entertainment, laptop or PC, DVD, gaming, any devices with a 3.5mm headphone…
- Satellite speakers have 6' single RCA cables, 3.5mm to RCA cable and user manual…
- Magnetically shielded speakers, subwoofer speaker is (H x W x D) 8.5" x 4.75" x 7",…
- Powered via the built-in AC power cable
- Subwoofer measures 5.91 x 9.37 x 8.07 inches - Speakers measure 3.35 x 3.07 x 5.35…
- Volume and bass control knobs on the back of the subwoofer
- Includes mounting brackets for the satellite speakers
- Rated for 125 watts of power at 8 ohms
- 60-watt 8-Inch powered subwoofer
- Cables and connectors included and clearly marked for easy setup
- Adjustable controls for volume and low-frequency effects
- Deep low notes from powered Acoustimass module
- Package Contents: 2 Satellite Speakers with base plates*2(L+R),8" subwoofer*1, Remote…
- Specification:Subwoofer Frequency Response:30Hz-104Hz/Satellite:135Hz-20KHz; Power…
- Wood Subwoofer: Big 8" driver subwoofer; 6-colors LED flashlight, light can be turn…
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2018/05/22 10:23. o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best home theater systems