Review10Best compares the best pocket knives and nominates the one from Taylor Brands LLC as the best pocket knife. In our pocket knives review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different pocket knives and follow our recommendation on which pocket knife to buy in 2018. With the pocket knife comparison, you can be sure to buy the best pocket knife on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate pocket knife buying guide
- View our pocket knife picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about pocket knives
- More about pocket knives on the web
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
A pocket knife is one of the best tools you can own. They are very useful for a variety of tasks, especially for people that enjoy outdoor recreational activities, while being handy for many everyday jobs. With so many options available, finding the best pocket knife can be easier said than done. There is a lot to consider before buying a pocket knife, and it is important to know what aspects of pocket knife would make them better suited for your personal needs.
What are pocket knives?
A pocket knife is a folding knife that features one or more blades that are folded into the handle when not in use. It’s a great design in that it allows users to safely carry a compact knife without risk of accidental injury, allowing the blade to be quickly accessed whenever needed.
As the name implies, a pocket knife is usually small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket, although there are certain types of models that have a much larger blade and handle. When the blade is removed from the handle, it fully extends, allowing users to grip the handle for more control over the knife.
Why should you buy a good pocket knife?
Pocket knives are a fantastic multi purpose tool with many uses. Their most traditional use is for outdoor recreation, such as fishing, camping, and hunting, although their versatility allows for many more uses, even around the home. From hobbies such as wood carving to prepping in the kitchen, there is no shortage of uses with a pocket knife, so it is no surprise this great tool has remained so popular over the years.
How to choose the right pocket knife?
With so many great pocket knife options available, finding the best choice for you can take some consideration. There are a lot of different styles of pocket knife, with each one providing their distinct pros and cons.
- Size: The size of the blade is an obvious thing to consider when looking for the best pocket knife. Traditionally, the blade of the pocket knife is supposed to be quite small. This is great for many purposes but more important for legal reasons. Smaller blades tend to have no legal restrictions on carrying them, making them the best option for most people. Plus, they are much easier to carry, which is why a pocket knife with small blades is the best pocket knife size for the most part.
- Knife Edge: The type of edge on the blade is very important when choosing a pocket knife, as you want the best pocket knife edge to suit your uses. For instance, a plain edge blade is the most common blade type on a pocket knife and is great for almost any type of cutting, so is a fine option for most buyers. However, a serrated blade may be better suited for some, as it excels in cutting tougher materials due to the additional pressure from the blade.
- Uses: What do you intend to use the pocket knife for? There are so many uses for one, so knowing your intentions with the pocket knife will ensure you get a good model. Many want a great pocket knife for everyday use, in which case a small, compact model with a comfortable round grip may be the better option. For those out hunting, camping or the like, a more robust and durable pocket knife is worth consideration.
What is the best kind of pocket knife?
Although there are countless varieties of pocket knives available, many modern types rely on a universal design of a single blade that often lock in place, which can lead to legal restrictions on certain countries. However, traditional pocket knife designs are still viewed as the best types due to their timeless design and functionality.
Here are some popular types widely available today:
- Barlow Pocket Knife: This pocket knife features two blades, along with a longer, thinner handle. It's great pocket knife that is versatile.
- Stockman Pocket Knife: This type of pocket knife usually comes with three blades of different design, all of which are fitted with a clip point. Best used for general use, and may lack strength due to thinner blades.
- Trapper Pocket Knife: Trapper pocket knives are usually larger and consists of a Spey blade and clip blade. Its name derives from being used by trappers, making it a popular skinning blade that is a fine option for outdoor use.
Top 10 list of pocket knives (October 2018)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their pocket knives rank and which pocket knife is the best.
- BE PREPARED: Knife features jimping and a serrated blade
- SECURE: Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the liner…
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with pocket clip, index flipper and ambidextrous…
- Fast spring assist opening
- 4.5" closed
- 3.25" stainless steel blade
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Rest easy because your new knife is protected by Grand…
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE - made of metal with finger grooves and notches for comfortable…
- BLACK COATED 440C STAINLESS STEEL - excellent balance of hardness and corrosion resistance…
- Made in Switzerland; Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in…
- Length: 2.25" (58mm), Height: .354", Weight: 0.74 ounces
- Fits comfortably in a pocket, while also making the perfect addition to any set of…
- The black Clash is a great tool for any hiker, hunter, angler, gardener, mechanic,…
- Feature rich handle includes SpeedSafe assisted opening, built-in flipper, secure…
- Drop-point, partially serrated blade is perfect for tackling everyday tasks like…
- Spring Assisted Knife 3.5" 4MM THICK BLADE, STAINLESS STEEL BLACK HALF SERRATED BLADE…
- Portable Design: both of knife and flashlight come with pen clip design, portable…
- Tactical Flashlight Material: Aviation grade aluminum. With Waterproof IPX4 and Anti-drop…
- 5Modes Handheld Flashlight: High brightness, medium brightness, low brightness, Strobe,…
- Trac-Tec gives quality grip and allows for easy carry in all conditions including…
- Handle reinforced with inset Liner Lock to give extra strength, durability and added…
- Thumbstud perfectly placed for accessibility and ease of opening with just the push…
- INCLUDES POCKET CLIP, GLASS BREAKER AND SEAT BELT CUTTER
- 4.5" CLOSED
- BLACK HALF SERRATED BLADE
- Highly functional, stealthy, folding pocketknife is easily carried and ready to go…
- A reliable companion for any backpacker, first responder, hunter, angler, gardener,…
- An excellent utility knife for many tasks including opening packages, piercing holes,…
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2018/10/16 15:43 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best pocket knives
Further resources about pocket knives
- Maximizing Bang for Buck | morethanjustsurviving: When you’re shopping around for folding knives, all the while trying to get the most bang for your buck possible (source: morethanjustsurviving.com)
- Best Pocket Knives For Every Guy | AskMen: Looking to purchase a pocket knife? Here's what you need to know. (source: www.askmen.com)
- The Ultimate Guide to Pocket Knives | Knife Informer: In depth reviews of today's best pocket knives from the top brands. (source: knifeinformer.com)