Review10Best compares the best primers and nominates the one by e.l.f. Cosmetics as the best primer. In our primers review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different primers and follow our recommendation on which primer to buy in 2020. With the primer comparison, you can be sure to buy the best primer on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate primer buying guide
- View our primer picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about primers
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Granted, this is not one of those everyday makeup routines, but there are times when leaving this one out of your makeup routine feels wrong. Apart from perfecting our makeup or foundation, the best foundation primers do a lot to protect the skin. They should be worn as much as possible especially when you use a new foundation or product. Doing this will reduce the negative effects that a new product might have on your skin.
If foundation primers are new to you, and you do not know how to get the right one, there is no need to panic. Here are some vital things you need to know about great foundation primers.
What are primers?
A foundation primer, or primer, is a base for applying virtually any makeup, from eyeshadows, to BB creams, moisturizers, and foundations. They provide a protective film or coverage for your skin, so the makeups don't get direct contact with your skin. They come in different forms, from cream to liquid to gel forms and are designed for different skin types. It is applied under your makeup to give it a more refined finish and to make your makeup lasts even longer.
Why should you buy a good primer?
The best primers are just the right way to go if you want your makeup to remain locked in for long even in extremely adverse weather conditions. Good foundation primers can even be worn alone to enhance the appearance of your skin without foundation, moisturizers or any other makeup.
Some of the best types can refine the overall colour of your makeup on your skin. There are others too that can help conceal wrinkles, acne and other skin blemishes for those that are aging. Foundation Primers also give your skin time to gradually adapt to a new product that’s applied on it. So if you are trying a used product or introducing a new product to your makeup list, you should always wear the best foundation primers for that initial period. They play a vital role and should be added to your makeup routine.
How to choose the right primer?
Choosing the best primer can be difficult if you are unsure of what you need, so here are a few things to look out for to help find a great foundation primer:
- Skin Type: Your skin type remains the key determinant of which primer to use. We all have unique skin types, and they require unique foundation primer. Obviously, using the wrong primers for your different skin can have multiple adverse effects on your skin and will not produce an effective result as the right one.
- Sensitivity: Primers are designed for sensitive skins. They are meant to provide a layer of protection for your skin. However, since different people do have different skin types that respond differently to the various constituents of the primer, you are advised to check your skin response to the foundation primer before settling for it. You should also prefer primers with constituents that have soothing effects.
- Fragrance: The fragrance of the primer should not be overshadowing. Go for primers with a mild scent so it does not irritate you. Different people fancy different scents, and there are just enough varieties of primers with different fragrance to find one that you will love.
What is the best kind of primer?
Buy a good primer that suits best to your personal needs.
- Primers for Dry Skins: Although anyone with dry skin will find it a bit more challenging to get the right foundation primer, some very quality primers for them will hydrate and keep the moisture intact. Avoid primers with little moisturizing abilities.
- Primers for Oily skins: Your preferred choice should be a primer that mattifies your skin. This will keep excess oil on your skin in check and will prevent it from appearing too shiny. It is a generally accepted fact that anyone with oily skin is more vulnerable to develop acne. So also look out for primers with a high amount of anti-acne agents to keep your skin healthy always.
- Primers for Normal Skins: Well, if you are in between, not having pores that are too small or too large, then you are not likely to go through much to locate a perfect primer to apply. Your primer should be the one that does not mattify a lot or contain a high amount of moisturizer.
Top 10 list of primers (June 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their primers rank and which primer is the best.
- CRUELTY FREE AND VEGAN Our primers are PETA certified cruelty free and vegan, so…
- AT e.l.f. COSMETICS, we believe that beauty comes from within all of us, and our…
- HOW TO USE Apply to clean, moisturized skin prior to makeup application. Use a small…
- BEAUTY FOR ALL: e.l.f. Cosmetics provides professional-quality products at get-real…
- FREE FROM: All e.l.f. products are 100% free from phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol,…
- 100% CRUELTY-FREE & VEGAN: Proud to be 100% vegan and cruelty-free, worldwide.…
- NO ANIMAL TESTING: Elizabeth Mott is a cruelty free brand in PETA's Beauty Without…
- OIL CONTROL: The waterproof, non greasy formula ensures your highlight is the only…
- LONG LASTING: Lock down your foundation with a light weight, hydrating primer that…
- DISCOVER NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP: Try all of our professional makeup & beauty…
- CRUELTY FREE COSMETICS: We believe animals belong in our arms—not in a lab.…
- FACE FROM FOUNDATION TO FINISH: Complete your makeup look with our full line of NYX…
- Apply all over face before foundation or wear alone
- Weightless, water-based formula, non-oily
- Primes skin for even makeup application without a greasy feel
- For best results, apply an even layer after moisturizer – as the very last…
- Infused with soluble collagen to help with skins moisture levels and elasticity.
- Green tea extract protects + energizes skin, acting as a perfect primer for color…
- For external use only; keep out of reach of children and pets; avoid contact with…
- Great makeup face primer for all skin types.
- For an all-day shine-free makeup look.
- Never feels grEasy or heavy
- Controls shine for up to 8 hours
- Ultra Lightweight formula
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/06/05 10:00 o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best primers