Review10Best compares the best smoke detectors and nominates the one from Kidde Safety as the best smoke detector. In our smoke detectors review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different smoke detectors and follow our recommendation on which smoke detector to buy in 2018. With the smoke detector comparison, you can be sure to buy the best smoke detector on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate smoke detector buying guide
- View our smoke detector picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about smoke detectors
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The best smoke detectors offer fast reactions to fire risks, giving plenty of time to warn you so that you can escape. At the same time, you don’t want a smoke detector that will go off at the slightest bit of smoke in the kitchen, as we’re all prone to burning something now and then.
Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best smoke detector:
What are smoke detectors?
A smoke detector is a fire-protection device that detects the presence of smoke and then provides a warning signal, usually as in the form of a loud audio alarm. So, in the event of there being a fire in a home, the smoke detector senses the smoke from the fire, alerting people in the process.
Why should you buy a good smoke detector?
A smoke detector is one of the most important devices for a home, and the reasons for having one are very obvious - they significantly reduce the risk of dying in a house fire. By providing loud warning alarm, residents are given a chance to escape from a fire before it gets too hazardous, potentially saving their lives in the process.
How to choose the right smoke detector?
It is important to choose the best smoke detector possible to ensure the safety of you and your family, but it’s not always obvious which devices are the best. Be sure to consider the following things to help you choose a good smoke detector:
- Power Source: Smoke detectors are either battery operated or hardwired, so be sure to consider which option is best for you. Battery smoke detectors are generally cheaper and easier to install, with batteries needing changed around every six months. Hardwired detectors operate on line voltages so there is no risk of forgetting about the battery, and most have a backup battery should a fire disrupt the power.
- Features: Modern smoke detectors offer many features that may be useful. For instance, voice control detectors allow you to hush an alarm if you accidently burn something when cooking, while remote control devices provide real time notifications to you phone should something occur away when you aren’t home. The more features the smoke detector has the costlier it will be, but many features are worth the investment so be sure to check them out when buying.
- Connected Systems: It’s possible to get interconnected smoke detectors throughout the home, which means when one alarm goes off the rest do too. This is certainly worth buying if you have a large home where you might not hear an alarm in certain rooms but be mindful that they will likely need professional installation. Stand-alone detectors are unconnected and will only alert to the nearest danger, but this may be more than enough if you live in a smaller space.
What is the best kind of smoke detector?
There are several types of great smoke detectors available, all of which offer their advantages.
- Isolation Smoke Detector: This type of detector ionise air between two electrodes, resulting in a small current in the device. If smoke reaches into the detector, this alerts the current, which provides a signal that activates the alarm.
- Optical Smoke Detector: This type of detector features an infrared LED that provides a beam pulse every few seconds into a sensor chamber of the device. If smoke appears in the sensor, the infrared light detects and triggers the alarm.
Top 10 list of smoke detectors (May 2018)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their smoke detectors rank and which smoke detector is the best.
- Kiddes smoke alarms meet the requirements of Underwriters Laboratories (UL), an independent…
- Low battery indicator chirps when battery needs replacement. Temperature Range -…
- Tamper resist pin to help prevent tampering and theft
- 9-volt battery included, recommended battery replacement every 6 months (best with…
- Low battery warning and tamper resistant. Sensor Type: Ionization
- Also includes side battery drawer and missing battery guard
- 10-Year limited warranty
- Open mounting design for easy installation with side load battery compartment for…
- 120-Volt AC power with 9-Volt battery backup (included) to keep alarm functioning…
- A single button tests the unit or silences the alarm. Low battery signal mute, quiets…
- Electrochemical CO sensor alerts you to carbon monoxide danger
- Photoelectric sensor detects smoke while minimizing false alarms. 2 AA batteries…
- 9-volt battery included; 10-year limited warranty.
- Low battery warning and tamper resistant.
- Also includes side battery drawer and missing battery guard.
- 9-volt battery included; 10-year limited warranty
- Low battery warning and tamper resistant
- Also includes side battery drawer and missing battery guard
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee...or your money back!
- Sealed-in 10-year lithium battery
- Low power consumption, service life sensor about 10 years
- Meets the UL requirements and widely-accepted safety standards
- Easy installation
- Four inch diameter discreet design
- 10-year carbon monoxide sensor. Carbon monoxide is odorless, invisible and deadly.…
- Heads-Up. Get a friendly voice alert so you can handle burning toast before it becomes…
- Split-Spectrum Sensor. In an emergency, seconds count. Nest Protect uses two wavelengths…
- Interconnects with other compatible Firex smoke alarms and heat alarms
- False alarm control quiets unwanted alarms for up to 8 minutes
- Front loading battery door makes battery changing simple, power link tab makes installation…
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2018/05/24 07:45 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best smoke detectors