Review10Best compares the best teas and nominates the one from Brands of Britain, LLC - Taylors of Harrogate as the best tea. In our teas review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different teas and follow our recommendation on which tea to buy in 2018. With the tea comparison, you can be sure to buy the best tea on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate tea buying guide
- View our tea picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to teas
- Watch recommended videos about teas
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks in the entire world, being the second most consumed beverage after water. Given its long-lasting popularity, it’s safe to say that tea is very enjoyable, with a variety of flavours available to suit every palate.
Choosing the best tea is very subjective. Originating from many countries and available in countless flavours, deciding which tea you like best is usually a case of trial and error. However, buying a great tea is much easier if you know what to look for in the product!
What are teas?
Tea is beverage produced by pouring boiling water over cured tea leaves. All tea comes from a single plant (Camellia sinensis) native to Asia, although the plant is now widely grown throughout the entire world, and the leaves can be treated and processed in many ways to achieve unique types of tea. There are many varieties of tea available, all of which provide their own distinct aromas and flavours. Herbal teas are infused with herbs and fruits, resulting in very flavourful beverages.
Why should you buy a good tea?
The best tea beverages are not just delicious and refreshing, they also offer some health benefits. For instance, green tea is rich in antioxidants that help keep the body healthy, while studies suggest a range of other health benefits gained from drinking tea, such as protection against cardiovascular diseases, cancers, and possibly even Parkinson’s disease.
To gain these benefits, the tea much be actual tea, meaning it shouldn’t be infused with other plants (e.g. herbal mint tea.)
How to choose the right tea?
Choosing a good tea is all about personal preferences, so it can be difficult to know what to look for without trying it first. Here are some things to consider that make choosing a good tea that bit easier:
- Health Benefits: If you are seeking health benefits from tea, then the best tea to go for is those that are produced using only Camellia sinensis leaves. This includes, black, white, green, and oolong tea, with green and black teas usually being the most popular for health benefits. Avoid herbal teas and any other tea infused with other ingredients if you are seeking mainly health benefits.
- Flavour: A great tea flavour for one person isn’t always enjoyed by everyone, so it’s important to consider the overall flavours when buying tea. For example, black teas usually have the strongest flavours, while white and green teas tend to be milder. Herbal teas offer distinct flavours that are often quite pleasant, with fruit and herb infusions offering a delicious tasting beverage. Remember, teas can be mixed with milk and other ingredients to create more unique flavours. Black tea often pairs great with milk, although you may prefer the more pronounced flavour of straight tea.
- Preparation: A common misconception is that all tea requires boiling water and cup to make. While true with some types of tea, there is a lot of different ways to prepare tea, with factors such as tea type, water temperature, and the duration of infusion all impacting how you make it. Make sure you have the necessary items to make the tea, as not all tea comes in a bag ready for infusion, and be sure to check the preparation instructions before you buy.
What is the best kind of tea?
All tea comes from a single plant, but the there are many varieties to this plant and different ways to process (namely oxidization) the leaves, resulting in many types of tea. However, pure tea can be categorised into four main types:
- Black Tea: The best tea for anyone starting out, this is the most widely consumed type of tea. It’s dark in appearance and comes with the strongest flavours, while caffeine content is typically higher too. Black tea is great on its own or can be combined with milk, sugar, or lemon.
- Green Tea: Green tea has not been oxidized, resulting in high levels of antioxidants and other minerals and vitamins, making it one of the healthiest teas out there. It comes in a pale green or yellow colour, and comes with a light flavour and body. Green tea tastes best when drunk without any additives like milk or sugar, although lemon and honey can make a pleasant addition.
- Oolong Tea: This partially oxidized tea can vary in flavour and colour based the duration of oxidization. For instance, darker oolong that tastes similar to black tea has been oxidized for longer, while shorter oxidization leads to a milder tasting beverage similar to green tea. It can be steeped to produce a very unique tea as well, so there is plenty of choice when it comes to oolong tea.
- White Tea: Having been processed the least, white tea offers the mildest flavour and lightest colour of all teas. It tends to have a very low caffeine content but is high in antioxidants, and should be drunk without adding anything to preserve the flavour.
Top 10 list of teas (September 2018)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their teas rank and which tea is the best.
- Tea gift box
- Made in UK
- Variety packs include six tea bags of each variety.
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION AND PURPOSE: Perfect GIFT as a care package for college students,…
- WIDE RANGE OF OPTIONS: Whether you prefer traditional tastes like English Breakfast,…
- PERFECT COMBINATION FOR TEA LOVERS: Contains 48 pack, all different flavors. Find…
- 100% all natural herbal supplement made with non-GMO ingredients
- Honey and spearmint help calm during a stressful day or to ease you into a restful…
- Organic chamomile and lavender comfort for a deliciously intriguing blend that promotes…
- Orange & Cinnamon Spice, Pure White Tea, Ultra Spice Chai, Spiced Apple Chai, French…
- Pomegranate Raspberry & Strawberry Green, Nightly Calm Green, Pure Peppermint, Lemon…
- Prince of Wales, English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, English Afternoon,…
- Depending on season and availability, teas in this sampler may vary.
- Packed in an eco-friendly gift box. Makes the perfect gift.
- Approximately 10 servings of tea per can. A great way to try out a variety of different…
- At Bigelow, we use a special foil pouch to protect your tea from any air, moisture…
- Bigelow Perfect Peach Herbal Tea is a perfectly peachy blend of rose hips, hibiscus,…
- Bigelow Orange & Spice Herbal Tea is a soothingly delightful blend of orange & spice…
- Sample Them All and Find Your Favorites
- Great for Gifts, Tea Parties, Offices, or at Home
- Featured Teas Include: Hot Cinnamon Spice, English Breakfast, Lemon Herbal, Egyptian…
- Our sampler pack is perfect for businesses, home, the office, hostess gifts or just…
- 3 bags of the following: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Hot Cinnamon Spice, Paris,…
- 2 bags of the following: Decaf Black, Decaf Earl Grey, Organic Citron Green, Organic…
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2018/09/20 15:21 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Other reviews related to teas
Recommended Video about the best teas