Review10Best compares the best usb flash drives and nominates the one by SanDisk as the best usb flash drive. In our usb flash drives review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different usb flash drives and follow our recommendation on which usb flash drive to buy in 2020. With the usb flash drive comparison, you can be sure to buy the best usb flash drive on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate usb flash drive buying guide
- View our usb flash drive picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about usb flash drives
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
There are fewer devices more useful than a good USB flash drive. Suitable for storing and transferring data from device to device, these portable storage devices have many uses that make them a great buy for most people. To help you find the best USB flash drives for your needs, check out the handy buying guide below: It has all the info you need to find the perfect storage device:
What are usb flash drives?
A USB flash drive is a portable storage device that uses flash memory to store and transfer various types of files like photos, videos, music, documents etc. It plugs into the USB port in a computer and comes with varying memory levels, ranging from a few gigabytes all the way up to several terabytes, with more memory allowing you to store more files.
Why should you buy a good usb flash drive?
Given the massive role that computers play in our day to day lives, most people benefit from owning a great USB flash drive. The devices are small and portable yet have an impressive storage capacity, letting you store various files onto the drive like music, movies, tv shows, documents etc., making it suitable for all kinds situations, including work, school, or just watching stuff at home.
How to choose the right usb flash drive?
Here are some things to consider when you’re buying the best USB flash drives:
- Capacity: The higher the memory capacity the more data the flash drive holds, although it will also increase the price. Consider what you need to store on it to ensure you get a suitable capacity for your needs. For instance, a flash drive under 10GB is fine for music, photos, and a few movies, but if you plan on storing lots of large files (like films and TV shows) then a higher capacity is recommended.
- Speed: USB flash drives come in three specifications, each one impacting how quickly the device transfers data from a computer to the flash drive. USB 1.0 is the original specification and not that common these days, mainly due to its slower speeds, with USB 2.0 and 3.0 being the standard spec for most devices. USB 3.0 transfers files the quickest so is the most convenient, although it will cost more than USB 2.0.
- Security: USB drives are very convenient for file transfers but aren’t the most secure device, with the lower capacity making it hard to implement decent encryption software. Some devices come with better security, such as a pin code to access the device or built-in encryption software, although these will cost significantly more than standard devices. Consider how secure you need it to be - it may not be too much of an issue unless you are storing sensitive information.
What is the best kind of usb flash drive?
There are three types of USB flash drive specifications available:
- USB 1.0 Flash Drives: The original USB specification, USB 1.0 is mostly outdated but you can find some devices using this. Technically, an updated version called 1.1 knows the standard for this specification but offering transfer rate of 12 Mbps.
- USB 2.0 Flash Drives: This specification is found on most cheap USB drives, with the fastest USB 2.0 devices offering transfer speeds up to 480 Mbps.
- USB 3.0 Flash Drives: The best USB flash drives use USB 3.0, offering the fastest transfer speeds at up to 5 Gbps, while more recent devices use USB 3.1 that can offer transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbps. These devices are more likely to have encryption software for added security, although it’s not a given.
Top 10 list of usb flash drives (June 2020)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their usb flash drives rank and which usb flash drive is the best.
- Support: 5-year limited warranty
- Protect private files with SanDisk SecureAccess software
- USB 3.0-enabled and USB 2.0-compatible
- Backed by a 2-year limited manufacturer warranty(2)
- SanDisk SecureAcces software with 128-bit AES encryption and password protection…
- Retractable design keeps the connector safe
- Can be used with both Mac and Windows systems
- Warranty: 5-year. Lightweight design allows for convenient carry
- USB 2.0
- Compatible Devices: Television;Tablet;Laptop
- After-sales Service: 12 month Warranty. Please contact us first for any problems…
- Plug and Play: No need to install any software, the zip drive is easy to be recognized…
- Portability: The small ring is designed for key chains or lanyards. You can take…
- Move a full-length movie to the drive in less than 30 seconds
- Write up to 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives1
- Read speeds up to 130MB/s1. Compatibility-USB 3.1 (backward compatible with USB 3.0…
- Free technical support
- Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports, so you can utilize any USB 2.0 or USB 3.0…
- Sliding collar, capless design with integrated loop makes it easy to attach to key…
- The HP 128GB x900w USB 3. 0 Flash Drive can hold approximately 5, 632 songs, 5, 413…
- Store and transfer videos, photos, music, documents, and more quickly and easily
- Ultra-portable, compact, and light-weight for maximum convenience and life on the…
- 5-year limited warranty
- Easy-to-use password protection for your private files
- Sleek, durable metal casing. Operating temperature : 32° - 113° F (0°…
- RELIABLE DATA STORAGE OPTION The Micro Center USB Flash Drive is constructed from…
- SLEEK AND PRACTICAL DESIGN The memory stick’s hard plastic cover prevents rough…
- PLUG AND PLAY Just plug the thumb drive then start data storage, backup and transfer…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. Last Update. 2020/06/05 19:12 o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best usb flash drives