Review10Best compares the best arcade machines in the UK and selects the one by Thumbs Up as the best arcade machine. In a arcade machine buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different arcade machines and see a recommendation on which arcade machine to buy in the UK in 2023. By considering the top list of arcade machines, you can find the best arcade machines and save time shopping online.
- Read the ultimate arcade machine buying guide
- View the arcade machine picks and see how they rank in the top list
The best arcade machines let you play some of the greatest video games ever made from the comfort of your home. Although the choice of machines is rather limited many types of arcade machines can be bought for domestic use, letting you bring the fun of the arcade to your living room. To help find a great arcade machine, check out the handy buying guide below. There are all sorts of things to consider when buying an arcade machine to ensure you get the best one for your needs and preferences, so be sure to think about these before you buy.
What are arcade machines?
An arcade machine is a game system that is designed to play various types of classic games. While designs vary, a large arcade machine features a screen, game controls (joystick and buttons), and a coin mechanism. Players insert their coins to play the arcade game, with each coin providing a set number of lives. However, most modern arcade machines have no coin mechanism, allowing easier access.
Why should you buy a good arcade machine?
The best arcade machines offer endless entertainment, making them a fantastic investment for just about anyone. Kids and adults alike love video games meaning an arcade machine in your home will be a huge hit with everyone. Better still, the games are controlled via arcade joystick and buttons, providing a more immersive and fun way to play than a gaming keyboard or controller. Furthermore, the games are all retro classics, allowing anyone to enjoy the nostalgic feel of classic games all from the comfort of their home.
How to choose the right arcade machine?
Considering that authentic arcade machines have become rare outside dedicated arcades and the second-hand market, there are a lot of decisions to be made. Here are some of the things you may want to consider to
- Games: Perhaps the most important consideration, think about what games you want to play. Retro arcades will play 80s and 90s games roughly in the same numbers as when they were first released so chances are you’ll find a reasonable variety in most multi-game machines. If you only have a particular favourite, it may be better to invest in a single game machine but keep in mind these are more expensive.
- Controls: Arcade machines have different control options, some of which you may prefer over others. For example, a traditional arcade control stick is mounted on a raised platform, while other options include an attached controller or built into the cabinet. A classic joystick offers a genuine feel for the games, but some people find it impractical.
- Maintenance: Many of the best arcade machines are refurbished units, which can be quite old. As a result, they may require various levels of maintenance going forward, so be sure to consider the condition of each one. You ideally want to buy a machine in full working order, as repairs may be costly and time-consuming.
What is the best kind of arcade machine in the UK?
There are countless types of arcade machines available, any of which may be to your liking. Some of the best-selling arcade machines include the following:
- Classic Arcade Machines: The best-known arcade machines are those that were popular throughout the 80s and 90s, and are now finding their way into homes. These are based on classic game consoles like the Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo, although some prefer upgraded versions with all the games included in one machine.
- Fighter Arcade Machines: This arcade machine features a wide range of fighter games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. The layout includes an 8-way joystick and buttons, so expect your fingers to do all of the work and a lot of wiping.
- Mini Arcade Machines: This compact design features a smaller display and control panel but remains great for playing all the retro arcade classics. While being smaller than classic arcade machines they are about the same size as a traditional games console.
Top 10 list of arcade machines in the UK (December 2023)
The bestseller list compares brands and their arcade machines. Which arcade machine is the best?
- 3 x AA batteries required (not included).
- The perfect gift for any special occasion.
- 1 x Joystick (8-Way) & 2 x Control Buttons for an easy & authentic arcade…
- Included riser
- Printed Coindoor
- Light Up Marquee
- 3D Coindoor
- Light Up Marquee
- Monitor 17” LCD
- Gifts to Kids AdultsThe handheld video game console is an ideal gift for children,…
- Support Play on TVThe game console can be connected to the TV via the AV output,…
- Portable Mini Retro Game PlayerClassic and portable design, equipped with an optimized…
- GLOBAL GIZMOS – Global Gizmos is the leading manufacturer of a wide range of…
- BATTERY OPERATED - The classic candy grabber requires 3 D-cell batteries (not included),…
- JOYSTICK CONTROLLED – Use the 3 separate joysticks to move the mechanism backwards…
- Headphone jack
- Includes 8 classic games
- Light-Up Marquee
- Flexible Connectivity: Easily connect the arcade machine to a monitor, allowing you…
- Joystick Controls: The joystick controls provide a familiar and intuitive interface…
- Vibrant High-Resolution Display: The 8.6-inch high-resolution display delivers pixel-perfect…
- Versatile Connectivity: Connect the console to your TV, PC, monitor, or projector…
- Plug & Play Video Arcade Machine: Powered by RK3128 chip, this console excels…
- Two Wireless Gamepads: 2.4G Wireless control gamepads with USB receiver ensure a…
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best arcade machines, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a arcade machine test. Last Update: 2023/12/02.