Review10Best compares the best bike racks for cars in the UK and selects the one by streetwise as the best bike rack for cars. In a bike rack for cars buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different bike racks for cars and see a recommendation on which bike rack for cars to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of bike racks for cars, you can find the best bike racks for cars and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate bike rack for cars buying guide
- View the bike rack for cars picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
If you love cycling then buying a good bike rack for your car is a great idea. This lets you travel further distances for your cycling adventures, making it easier to visit incredible cycling trails that you would otherwise miss out on.
However, finding the best bike rack for cars is difficult for first-time buyers, as there are a few considerations that must be made to ensure you get the right rack for your needs. To help with this, we have created a handy buying guide that covers all the information you need to know to find the best bike rack for your car!
What are bike racks for cars?
A bike rack for a car is a type of bike carrier that is attached to the exterior of a vehicle for easier transportation. There are a few designs available, with each one attaching the bike to a different position in the vehicle, and they all make transporting your bike by car much easier.
Why should you buy a good bike rack for cars?
Anyone that loves cycling may be limited to how far they can travel to ride their bike. With a good bike rack for a car, you can easily attach the bike to the outside of the vehicle for effortless transportation. This lets you take your bike further afield for all kinds of enjoyable cycling adventures, whether it’s down to a nearby park or travelling long-distance for a weekend of cycling.
How to choose the right bike rack for cars?
It is important to choose a quality bike rack for your car, so here are some things to consider that will help choose the right one for your needs:
- Capacity: Think about how many bikes you need to transport using the rack, as some have a higher capacity than others. For example, a tow bar mounted rack holds up to four bikes, roof mounts between two and four (depending on vehicle size), and most rear-mounted racks only hold two to three. always know how many bikes you are travelling with to make sure you get something suitable.
- Weight: Bike racks come with certain weight capacities, so you need to determine the weight of your bikes, then choose a rack that can hold this weight. Choose something that can’t bear the load and the rack is likely to break, which is something you’d want to avoid when driving! Tow bar bike racks usually hold the highest weights.
- Tyre Width: Certain bikes, such as a mountain and electric bikes, come with wider wheels than a standard road bike, meaning they may not fit every rack on the market. So, it helps to measure tyre width to ensure you choose a rack that has enough space to fit the wheels, especially if it is a mountain bike.
What is the best kind of bike rack for cars in the UK?
Here are the best-selling bike racks that are currently available:
- Roof Mounted Bike Racks: This type of rack is mounted to the roof bars on top of a car, so make sure your vehicle has roof bars. Larger vehicles can hold up to four bikes while smaller cars hold two to three, and the fact they stay on the roof means you have easy access to the boot and the rear-view isn’t impaired.
- Rear Mounted Bike Racks: The most affordable type of bike rack for a car, rear-mounted racks usually have a smaller capacity of between two to three bikes, while they are very easy to attach to the car. However, it needs to be specific to your vehicle, so make sure to check this when looking for rear-mounted racks.
- Tow Bar Mounted Bike Racks: This type of bike rack attaches to a tow bar and trails behind your vehicle. It carries up to four bikes and has a great weight capacity, while the position behind the car means it’s more fuel-efficient than having the bikes on the roof or rear of the car. Accessing the bikes is quick and easy with this rack, as they can be easily lifted out.
Top 10 list of bike racks for cars in the UK (April 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their bike racks for cars. Which bike rack for cars is the best?
- Comes with Securing Straps
- Light And Manageable Construction With Protective Rubber Absorbers fitted to the…
- The bike rack will fold up flat so it’s very easy to store when it is not in…
- Designed To Fit Most Saloons, Coupes, People Carriers, MPVs and Hatchbacks.
- Heavy Duty Construction And Easy Fitting To Your Car
- Transports Up To 2 Bikes, Foldable For Easy Storage
- FOLDING DESIGN: Easy to store when not in use. DIMENSIONS: 68L x 52W x 60Hcm.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Six tie-down straps give stability and security when in use. Soft…
- SUPERB QUALITY: Powder coated steel ensures durability for years to come.
- Overall Dimensions: 75L x 60W x 10H (cm). Easy installation within minutes
- Easy storage with folding design when not in use
- Can fit 2-7cm bicycle tubing frame and mount most cars, like SUV, MPV, Hatchback,…
- Purchase AVR810 for womens and full suspension bikes
- Quick and easy to install and remove
- Lower straps have antibounce fail-safe system for extra safety
- 45KG Weight Limit
- Specially designed to lift your bikes above the lower lights to avoid having to use…
- Designed To Fit Hatchback, Estate & Saloon Vehicles
- SIZE AND INFORMATION: Approx Dimensions: Folded 50cm (W) x 10cm (D) x 75cm (H) Extended…
- DURABLE: This bike carrier is constructed from powder coated steel making it strong…
- SUITABLE: This bike carrier is designed to fit most modern vehicles except vehicles…
- Your carry paint can remain untouched with the carrier
- High quality taillight ensures a safe distance
- Adjustable wheel chocks for different types of tires
- Easy to Use Simply designed, easy to install and remove, convenient to use.
- Premium Reliable Material Heavy duty steel construction, with powder-coated surface,…
- Widely Application Dimension - 59 x 32 x 72 cm, universally suitable for most bicycle…
- Folds flat for storage
- Fully assembled, no tools required. Quick and easy to fit and remove
- All 6 tempered hooks tested at 350 kilos each. Steel buckles
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best bike racks for cars, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a bike rack for cars test. Last Update: 2021/04/22.