Review10Best looks at the best cat litters in the UK and selects the one by Extra Select as the best cat litter. In a cat litter buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different cat litters and see a recommendation on which cat litter to buy in the UK in 2020. By considering the top list of cat litters, you can find the best cat litters and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate cat litter buying guide
- View the cat litter picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about cat litters
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Given the unpleasant aspects of cleaning up after your pet cat has been to the toilet, it makes sense to want the best cat litter to make the task as simple as possible. It’s important to choose a suitable cat litter otherwise cleaning up after your cat can become even messier.
Check out this buying guide for all the info you need to know to find the best cat litters for your needs:
What are cat litters?
Cat litter is a product that is placed inside of a litter box where a cat goes to the toilet. Usually made from a type of clay called bentonite, cat litter absorbs the unpleasant smell from cat waste while keeping it contained in a loose mixture, allowing for easy disposal by the pet owner.
Why should you buy a good cat litter?
If you own an indoor cat then you will want to use a good cat litter product. It’s designed to absorb the smell of urine and faeces, while also clumping together with any waste left behind in the tray. This allows for quick and easy removal of cat waste without ever needing to get too close, while also preventing the cat from going to the toilet elsewhere in your house!
How to choose the right cat litter?
Not all cat litters are made equal, with some being much less efficient at absorbing the smell and waste, so you want to make sure you choose the best cat litter! Here are some tips on how to choose the right product:
- Material: While traditionally made from clay, cat litters are now made with various materials that you may find preferable. Bentonite clay remains the classic cat litter as it’s a great absorber and clumps together, although it is on the expensive side. Silica is a cheaper alternative to this but less efficient, while plant-based options made from wood, wheat, or recycled materials are also available for those looking for an eco-friendly option.
- Cat Reaction: While you can’t take your cat shopping for litter, you can use its reaction to the product you buy to determine how suitable it is. If the cat is hesitant to use the litter tray, then it might not like the material you’ve chosen! Most cats aren’t fussy but there are certainly a few exceptions.
- Scent: Be mindful of choosing scented litters, as cats often dislike any scent coming from their litter tray. While it may seem like a good idea to remove some of the nasty smell of the litter tray, your cat is unlikely to use it.
What is the best kind of cat litter in the UK?
There are multiple types of great cat litters available, any of which may be suitable for your needs:
- Clay Cat Litters: Clay litters are the most used, being made from bentonite, which is great at absorbing the smell and moisture of urine. Clumping variations are available, clumping together faeces for easier disposable, although non-clumping types don’t do this so are going to start smell nasty much sooner.
- Silica Cat Litter: Made from silica gel beads, this type of cat litter is the best at absorbing urine and excess moistures. Absorbs the smell very well and doesn’t get dusty like clay litter, making it easier to clean the tray. It has the longest shelf life but not all cats like the texture.
- Plant-Based Cat Litters: These are made from 100% natural materials and are completely bio-degradable, making them much better for the environment than other litters. Materials vary, with popular options including wood, corn, and wheat.
Top 10 list of cat litters in the UK (September 2020)
This top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their cat litters rank and which cat litter is the best.
- Light weight
- Odour protection
- Items delivered: Catsan Hygiene non-clumping Cat Litter for adult cats and kittens…
- Cleanup is easy and simple with Catsan Hygiene Cat Litter, to ensure that your feline…
- Catsan Hygiene Cat Litter has very low dust when poured out of the bag and ensures…
- There is no Expiry date for the product ( Only the manufaturing date is mentioned…
- Made from recycled materials
- Easy to dispose of
- Items delivered: Catsan Natural Clumping Cat Litter for adult cats and kittens 20…
- Cleanup is easy and simple with Catsan Natural Cat Litter, to ensure that your feline…
- Catsan Natural Cat Litter has very low dust when poured out of the bag and has a…
- Pet, people and planet friendly - made from sustainable corn with no added chemicals;…
- 99 Percent dust free - corn is free of silica dust naturally; so you and your cat…
- Lightweight - the concentrated power of corn delivers the performance you need without…
- Virtually dust-free – reduces tracking & will not mark floors
- Suitable for all cat breeds
- Uniquely formulated cat litter pellets made from >99% recycled paper
- Inhibits bacteria growth and absorbs odours
- Environmentally friendly
- Natural pine fragrance
- Highly absorbent
- Super absorbent so all liquids will be soaked up
- Anti-microbial Cat Litter doesn't allow germs or bacteria to form, so stops unpleasant…
- Give the natural smell of fresh Pine
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a cat litter test. Last Update 2020/09/21 10:12. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best cat litters