Best compost bin UK
Which is the best compost bin 2023?VIEW OFFER
The 10 best compost bins to buy in the UK
The top 10 list of the best compost bins lists various brands and prices
Review10Best compares the best compost bins in the UK and selects the one by 4smile as the best compost bin. In a compost bin buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different compost bins and see a recommendation on which compost bin to buy in the UK in 2023. By considering the top list of compost bins, you can find the best compost bins and save time shopping online.
- Read the ultimate compost bin buying guide
- View the compost bin picks and see how they rank in the top list
Best compost bins: A complete buying guide
All you need to know before buying a great compost bin
The best compost bin allows you to easily make compost at home, providing year-round access to nutrient-rich material to feed your plants and flowers. While it is possible to build your own compost bin, buying one designed for composting always provides the best results, so it’s a worthwhile investment for anyone that loves gardening.
However, knowing what to look for in a quality compost bin is not always obvious, making it difficult to know what one is right for you. To help with this, we’ve created a handy buying guide that covers all the info you need to know to find the best compost bins.
What are compost bins?
A compost bin, also known as a composter, is a container used to create homemade compost. While the size and style of a composter vary from product to product, each one is designed to provide the ideal environment for making compost, which is best made in dark, warm containers with access to air. Therefore, most look and function like a regular bin, featuring a large container that is covered by a lid. The main difference is that the best compost bins have holes to provide airflow, which increases the rate at which natural material breaks down inside.
Why should you buy a good compost bin?
Composting is not only easy but fulfilling, allowing you to make your nutrient-dense compost for use around the garden. You only require a few basic ingredients, including green waste (such as grass clippings) and brown waste (such as dead leaves or carboard), which are placed inside and left to deteriorate into compost. So, with the best compost bin, you not only get the benefit of making compost by yourself but you are doing your bit for the environment by recycling some of your waste to make the compost. Plus, a great compost bin doesn’t cost that much.
How to choose the right compost bin?
If you are unsure of what you need in a composter, consider some of the following aspects when looking for the best compost bins:
- Material: The material of the composter influences heat retention, which is needed to ensure that the material breaks down over time. Plastic is the best material for a compost bin, being durable and great at heat retention, so try to make this your first choice when possible. Also, consider the thickness of the plastic, as anything too thin might crack or split. Wooden bins are available, with wood being an excellent insulator, so you need to ensure that the wood is rot-resistant if choosing this material.
- Capacity: The bigger the compost bin the more compost you can make, so think about how much waste you generate and what volume of compost you would like to have. Ideally, the bin should be almost filled as a small amount of air is needed to help break things down, so make sure the bin capacity offers this.
- Chambers: Some compost bins come with more than one chamber, allowing you to make batches of compost throughout the year. It is great for anyone dealing with a lot of waste, as you can make newer compost with your more recent waste, ensuring everything gets used.
What is the best kind of compost bin in the UK?
There are two popular types of compost bins available:
- Stationary Compost Bins: This type of compost bin is upright and stationary, with the waste usually being added to the top. A lid is placed on top and then the waste is left in darkness to slowly decompose and break down into nutrient-rich compost. They are cheap and easy to use, although require you to manually stir the material, which can be challenging when there is a lot of waste.
- Tumbler Compost Bins: This type of compost bin has a rotatable container that you can move using a large handle, helping to better aerate the waste inside. Because it provides more airflow than a stationary bin, composting occurs much quicker, although most tumblers have a lower capacity.
Top 10 list of compost bins in the UK (March 2023)
The bestseller list compares brands and their compost bins. Which compost bin is the best?
- BEST QUALITY: Composter bin Kompo by 4smile.shop is made of 100 % recycled plastic…
- EASY ASSEMBLY: It is really simple to set up the biological composter Kompo within…
- A BIOLOGICAL SOLUTION: Garden composter Kompo converts organic household and garden…
- Quality Products by Denny International
- Colour: Black / Green
- Capacity: 300L (approx.)
- the hinged lid and removable front panel allows easy access to both the top and bottom…
- by storing all of your organic waste in one location you can effectively reduce any…
- constructed using only high quality durable plastics
- Made in the UK with 10 year Addis guarantee / Addis part of the home since 1783
- Dimensions w25 x d18 x h19cm (10" x 7" x 7. 5 inches) - Dishwasher, Food…
- Available in a wide range of fresh colours, Hard wearing quality finish, Easy to…
- DIMENSIONS – (H) 83.9 x (W) 68.9 x (D) 68.9cm, please place the composter on…
- IN-BUILT AERATION & IRRIGATION – Slatted design assists natural aeration,…
- FAST & ODOUR FREE – The black colour keeps heat in for faster decomposition…
- Handwash only; Includes a spare carbon filter; 12 month guarantee
- Capacity: 3 litres & Size: 16.5cm x 12cm x 24cm
- Swing handle makes it easy to carry and hygienic to empty
- Simple to assemble without the use of any tools
- Designed for quicker decomposition and improved compost
- Easy access to add waste at the top and remove compost below
- [MULTIFUNCTIONAL PRACTICABILITY]: The compost bag can be used to store yard waste…
- [CONVENIENT ACCESS DOOR]: The garden waste bin is fitted with a convenient access…
- [STURDY HANDLE AND ZIPPER DESIGN]: There are handles on both sides of the compost…
- DIMENSIONS: Total dimensions (LxWxH) 380L = 28x28x33' | 800L = 53x28x33' | 1200L…
- WELL THOUGHT-OUT: Ventilation openings for adequate air flow speed up the bacterial…
- FUNCTIONAL: The bin is equipped with a hinged lid that allows an easy filling from…
- Size: 740mm width x 740mm depth x 800mm height - Approx 328 litre capacity
- Spaced side slats to allowing excellent air circulation
- Removable panel at the base to assist compost removal
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best compost bins, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a compost bin test. Last Update: 2023/03/26.