Review10Best compares the best hypoallergenic dog foods in the UK and selects the one by Purina Pro Plan as the best dog food. In a hypoallergenic dog food buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different dog foods and see a recommendation on which hypoallergenic dog food to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of dog foods, you can find the best hypoallergenic dog foods and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate hypoallergenic dog food buying guide
- View the hypoallergenic dog food picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to dog foods
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Finding the best hypoallergenic dog food is important if your dog suffers from allergies. The last thing you want is for your dog to be in discomfort from eating the wrong food, which can also increase the chances of an accident in the house, so it’s always worth finding a suitable dog food for a pet with allergies.
Check out the buying guide below for more information on how to find the best dog food for allergies:
What are hypoallergenic dog foods?
Hypoallergenic dog food features specially formulated ingredients designed for dogs with a sensitive stomach or allergies. Many dog foods contain additives or ingredients that some dogs cannot eat, causing various issues such as itchy skin, diarrhoea, and various types of infections.
The more severe the allergy the more serious the issues can develop. So a dog with any sort of allergy must be fed suitable dog food for their health issue. Because many allergens affect dogs, there are various types of good hypoallergenic dog foods that lack certain ingredients like beef, dairy and/or wheat.
Why should you buy a good hypoallergenic dog food?
The best hypoallergenic dog food is a must for any dog with food allergies. If you feed a dog food allergens it shouldn’t be eating, it can cause all kinds of health issues that you want your dog to avoid. So if you think your dog has certain allergies or sensitivities its important to buy the right food for them.
How to choose the right hypoallergenic dog food?
Here are some tips for choosing a great hypoallergenic dog food:
- Allergies: Dog food for allergies removes certain ingredients that a dog is allergic or sensitive to, so you’ll need to identify what food allergens are the problem. You’ll need to take them to the vet who can advise you an elimination diet, which is a common method to establish what ingredients (if any) are causing the reactions. Once you establish this, you can then choose a suitable dog food.
- Ingredients: Hypoallergenic dog food contains fewer ingredients than normal dog food, so you’ll want to establish what food allergens affect your dog and check that the ingredients cater to these needs. For instance, grains are a common allergen so if this affects your dog look for ingredients that contain no grains. Other common allergens include beef, chicken, and dairy, so be mindful of these in your dog’s food.
- Breed: Certain dog breeds are more susceptible to allergies than others, which can make it easier to find the allergen and choose suitable dog food. Breeds that tend to have allergies and sensitivities include Bulldogs, Border Collie, Cocker Spaniel, Retrievers, German Shepherd, and Maltese.
What is the best kind of hypoallergenic dog food in the UK?
There are three best-selling types of hypoallergenic dog food available:
- Dog Food with Limited Ingredients: Features ten or less ingredients, usually including a single protein and carbohydrate. Look for one that includes complete and balanced ingredients, which are the healthiest option available.
- Dog Food with a Single Source of Protein: This features a less common protein than chicken or beef, usually salmon, duck, or venison. It’s the best hypoallergenic dog food if your dog is allergic to common proteins like chicken or beef.
- Prescription Diet Dog Food: While the most expensive, prescription dog food is the best choice when a dog is suffering from serious allergies. It’s only available from your vet and is considered a last resort if other hypoallergenic dog food products aren’t working.
Top 10 list of hypoallergenic dog foods in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their hypoallergenic dog foods compare. Which dog food is the best?
- With omega-3 fatty acids to help maximise the natural anti-inflammatory process
- Purified carbohydrates sources to help avoid allergic responses
- Single hydrolysed protein with low molecular weight to help avoid allergic respo…
- UK MADE FOR OVER 140 YEARS — we’ve been creating premium dog food blends…
- FEEDING GUIDE — serve dry or with water or gravy as preferred. When feeding…
- HEALTHY SKIN, JOINTS & COAT — our balanced formula contains yucca extract…
- Formulated by a leading canine nutritionist, delicious chicken is naturally hypoallergenic…
- The diet includes taurine and carnitine which helps to keep hearts healthy while…
- The diet is wheat gluten and soya free making the diet a good option for dogs with…
- FREE FROM artificial flavours and colours with NO ADDED preservatives
- Taurine is an amino acid that supports a healthy heart
- Yucca Extract helps reduce stool odour
- Grain free formulas with Turkey as the first ingredient, made with a blend of white…
- No artificial colours or flavours, no diary, no added wheat and no soya
- With Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids, citrus antioxidants, nutrient rich kelp and yucca…
- Not recommended for contraindications such as pancreatitis, history of pancreatitis…
- Recommended for indications such as food elimination trials, food allergy, food intolerance,…
- Contains moderate phosphrous levels to help support healty kidney function.
- Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids
- Gentle on your dog's digestion
- Nourising white fish, brown and pearl rice and whole barley in crunchy tasty kib…
- A combination of carnitine, key vitamins and calories from fat help the dog to get…
- Includes salmon oil an ideal source of omega 3 fatty acids for the support of learning…
- Added glucosamine and green lipped mussel to help provide nutritional support for…
- 20% protein
- Easy soak for sensitive teeth and gums
- Nutritionally formulated for sensitive stomachs
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Includes prebiotics, joint supplements and yucca extract
- Includes 22 Percent fresh ocean white fish
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a hypoallergenic dog food test. Last Update 2021/01/27 06:09 o'clock.
Other reviews related to dog foods