Review10Best compares the best dog foods in the UK and selects the one by HARRINGTONS as the best dog food. In a dog food buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different dog foods and see a recommendation on which dog food to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of dog foods, you can find the best dog foods and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate dog food buying guide
- View the dog food picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to dog foods
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Buying the best dog foods for your pet should be a no-brainer: The better the food the healthier you dog will be. So it makes sense that pet owners look to find the most quality dog food products possible. Yet, finding the best dog food isn’t always easy. There are a huge range of products to choose from, some of which may or may not be suitable for your dog. So knowing what to look for should make finding the best nutrition for your dog much easier.
What are dog foods?
Dog food is any type of commercially produced food product made specifically for dogs. As dogs can thrive on a variety of food types, there are many different types of dog food products sold today, including the widely used wet food and dry food, while there are also many alternatives such as raw food, homemade food, frozen food, and even vegetarian food. Because a dog’s intestinal tract is suited for consumption of meat, the best dog food products usually contain high amounts of meat and other dog-friendly ingredients.
Why should you buy a good dog food?
It goes without saying that any dog-owner needs to buy dog food for their pet. However, not everyone buys the best dog food possible for their own dog, causing many dogs to eat unhealthy foods. As the best dog foods contain the most suitable and healthy ingredients for dogs, any dog-owner should aspire to provide their pet with the best diet possible to ensure they live a long, happy and healthy life.
How to choose the right dog food?
There are many things worth considering when looking for a good dog food. Doing so should mean you find the best dog food possible, so here are some things worth thinking about:
- Age: Dogs need different types of foods at different stages of their lives, so be sure to get one that is suitable for your pet’s age. For instance, puppies require calorie-rich dog food high in protein, vitamins, and minerals to help with growth, while a senior dog has other requirements for its food.
- Ingredients: Any good dog food should have the right balance of ingredients, yet not everyone knows what to look for. This is made harder by the huge selection of ingredients often present in dog food. Meat is one of the most important ingredients a dog requires, so a good method to use is to only choose a dog food that contains only one source of meat as their main ingredients. Other ingredients to look out for include grains, although non-grains may be necessary for dogs with sensitive stomaches.
- Type: Dry and wet food are two main types of dog food, so you will need to choose either one of these or a combination. For some dogs one type of food might be more suitable depending on allergies and sensitivities. So you often need to try out each to see which agrees with them most, as well as doing some research regarding the most suited ingredients for your dog.
What is the best kind of dog food in the UK?
As previously mentioned there are two main types of dog food available. Each one offers their own pros and cons, so be sure to consider each one to find out which might be the best dog food for your pet:
- Wet Dog Food: This type of dog food is suitable for most dogs, especially those that require more moisture in their diet. This dog food is usually shipped in cans. Wet dog food also tends to have higher protein content, although they also have higher fat than most other dog foods. Usually wet dog food is the cheapest option to go for. However, as there is a higher moisture content than other types of dog food, the dog have to drink less water.
- Dry Dog Food: Often regarded as the healthier option, dry dog food contains less moisture. Dry dog food encourages good dental hygiene as dogs need to chew them more thoroughly.
Top 10 list of dog foods in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their dog foods compare. Which dog food is the best?
- Yucca to help reduce unpleasant odours from flatulence
- Balanced ratio of Omega 6 and 3 fats for a glossy coat
- Citrus extracts and added vitamins help support a healthy immune system
- Contains a blend of vitamins C, E minerals and natural plant derived antioxidants…
- Contains antioxidant vitamin C to help support healthy gums and essential minerals…
- Contains a blend of the mineral zinc and omega 3 oils to promote a healthy supple…
- With quality protein to help maintain body condition
- Vitamin D and minerals for healthy teeth and strong bones
- With natural chicory to help support healthy digestion
- Formulated by a leading canine nutritionist, delicious chicken is naturally hypoallergenic…
- The diet includes taurine and carnitine which helps to keep hearts healthy while…
- The diet is wheat gluten and soya free making the diet a good option for dogs with…
- This pet food contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- Dog food developed with our vets and nutritionists at Waltham Pet Nutrition Cent…
- Easy-to-open pouches, perfect for a fresh healthy meal, on its own or on top of dry…
- Green tea - rich in health promoting natural antioxidants
- Green lipped mussel - a rich source of omega fats, glucosamine and chondroitin
- Grain-free formulation suitable for dogs with more sensitive digestions
- Forthglade's natural high meat wet dog food is made in Devon, UK
- No sugars, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Easy to digest and packed…
- Our complete dog food is grain free which is perfect for dogs with sensitive tum…
- No derivatives, preservatives or fillers - all natural healthy goodness
- Support healthy bone and joints and boosts the immune system
- Packed full of fruits, Vegetables and Botanical Herbs
- TAILORED NUTRITION. With all the essential nutrients your adult dog needs.
- Dual shape and size kibbles
- With Natural Prebiotic, proven to help improve Digestive Health
- Great fibre source and packed with vitamins
- No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives - natural delicious gravy
- Fresh new look same great taste
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a dog food test. Last Update 2021/01/22 22:57 o'clock.
Other reviews related to dog foods
- Best Dry Dog Food in the UK 2021
- Best Dog Food for Puppies in the UK 2021
- Best Wet Dog Food in the UK 2021
- Best Canned Dog Food in the UK 2021
- Best Hypoallergenic Dog Food in the UK 2021
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach in the UK 2021
- Best Senior Dog Food in the UK 2021
- Best Dog Food for Weight Loss in the UK 2021