Review10Best looks at the best DSL modems in the UK and selects the one by DrayTek as the best DSL modem. In a DSL modem buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different DSL modems and see a recommendation on which DSL modem to buy in the UK in 2020. By considering the top list of DSL modems, you can find the best DSL modems and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate DSL modem buying guide
- View the DSL modem picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about DSL modems
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The best DSL modems offer faster internet speeds than those offered by your internet service provider, making them a very worthwhile investment. However, it’s not always easy to understand what to look for in a DSL modem to ensure you get a device that improves your internet.
Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best DSL modem:
What are DSL modems?
A digital subscriber line (DSL) modem is device that connects to computers and routers to DSL configured phone lines, providing access to broadband internet.
Why should you buy a good DSL modem?
A good DSL modem is a worthwhile investment for many, especially if you need to replace a broken modem. Internet service provides typically lease their modem to customers, meaning you pay a small monthly amount to use it. So, by buying the best DSL modem from a retailer, you may end up saving money and result in faster internet speeds, especially if your IPS modem is dated. You also own the modem, and most DSL modems sold by retailers are better than those from ISPs.
How to choose the right DSL modem?
Choosing the right DSL modem is often difficult, especially for those that aren’t familiar with the various technical terminology. Here are some things to consider that will make buying the best DSL modem much easier:
- Compatibility: It’s important to choose a DSL modem that is compatible with your DSL broadband service. The current connections available for these modems include asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL), symmetrical digital subscriber line (SDSL), high data rate (HDSL) and very high data rate (VDSL), so be sure to contact your internet service provider to confirm the type of DSL modem is compatible with your internet.
- Connectivity: You need a DSL modem that connects to the appropriate devices, so for example if want to connect to several devices at once you will require a DSL modem either an Ethernet out connection that can connect to a router, or an easier option is to go for a modem with a built-in router.
- Speed: The speed of a DSL is important if you require a fast, reliable internet connection at all times. While it may not be essential for casual web browsing and using word documents, it’s essential to get a DSL modem with fast speed settings if you play video games, stream movies, or download. The top downstream speed of a DSL modem is typically around 15Mbps, with the upstream speed clocking a maximum of 1Mbps.
What is the best kind of DSL modem in the UK?
There are several options available when it comes to a DSL modem, which must be compatible with the DSL technology used with your broadband. This includes:
- ADSL Modem: Asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) modems support ADSL internet connections which is the most common type of digital subscriber line technology, being found in most homes. ADSL has downstream rates as high as 8Mbps with an upstream rate of around 1.5Mbps.
- VDSL Modem: Very high rate digital subscriber line (VDSL) modems connect to VDSL internet, which is the quickest form of digital subscriber line. Downstream rates top around 53Mbps and upstream rates hit 2.3Mbps.
- Modem Router Combo: When connecting a DSL modem to several devices using a single internet connection, you require a router to direct the various lines using the connection. An easy way to do this is to buy a DSL modem router combo, which has a router built into the DSL modem for easy connection across a sinlge network.
Top 10 list of DSL modems in the UK (October 2020)
This top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their DSL modems rank and which DSL modem is the best.
- ADSL & VDSL Parameters pre-set for UK ISPs (still configurable if required)
- Normally no setup/configuration of the Vigor 130 required
- Ideal device for DrayTek dual-WAN products or any other vendor's Ethernet WAN fi…
- Download Master
- Printer server. OS Support - Windows 8 , 32bit/64bit, Windows 7 , 32bit/64bit, Windows…
- Smart Hub Box contents: Setup Guide, Power Supply, Wireless Card, RJ11 and Network…
- supports 802.11 b/g/n/ac 3×3 MIMO on 2.4 GHz, and 802.11 a/n/ac 4×4 MIMO…
- Features Gigabit LAN ports and integrates an ADSL2+, VDSL2 and G.fast modem and FXS…
- The Archer VR2800 is compatible with VDSL2, ADSL2+, ADSL2 and ADSL
- Four external detachable dual band antennas; operating temperature: 0 degree Celsius…
- Dual-core CPU - 1GHz dual-core CPU and two co-processors make multi-tasking easy…
- Compatibility : NBN - Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - DSL Modem Router Mode, NBN - Fibre…
- USB 2.0 Port - supports storage and print service sharing, FTP and media servers…
- Beamforming technology - concentrates signal strength in the direction of your devices,…
- Guest network access and parental control provides restricted Wi-Fi access for guests…
- Easily setup an encrypted security connection at a push of WPS button
- USB Port for storage sharing, printer sharing, FTP server, media server and UMTS/LTE…
- OS Support - Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS X
- USB 3.0/2.0 for faster file sharing, printer sharing, and speed network
- Gigabit WAN/LAN ports for the fastest, most reliable internet performance
- Parental control and guest network - allows you to manage when and how connected…
- Blazing fast wired performance - connecting an external drive the USB 2.0 port allows…
- Beamforming technology - Help to locate the connected devices and improves the Wi-Fi…
- OS Support - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, 10, Vista, 2000, XP, Mac OS X 10.1, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6,…
- Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast and reliable internet performance
- Compatible with VDSL2, ADSL2/2+, ADSL, fibre and cable services for complete fut…
- Easily manage your home network with the NETGEAR genie apps
- Push n Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
- Built-in ADSL2+ Modem
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a DSL modem test. Last Update 2020/10/21 19:21 o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best DSL modems