Review10Best compares the best DSL modems in the UK and selects the one by TP-Link as the best DSL modem. In a DSL modem buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different DSL modems and see a recommendation on which DSL modem to buy in the UK in 2022. By considering the top list of DSL modems, you can find the best DSL modems and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate DSL modem buying guide
- View the DSL modem picks and see how they rank in the top list
The best DSL modems offer faster internet speeds than those offered by your internet service provider, making them a very worthwhile investment. However, it’s not always easy to understand what to look for in a DSL modem to ensure you get a device that improves your internet.
Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best DSL modem:
What are DSL modems?
A digital subscriber line (DSL) modem is device that connects to computers and routers to DSL configured phone lines, providing access to broadband internet.
Why should you buy a good DSL modem?
A good DSL modem is a worthwhile investment for many, especially if you need to replace a broken modem. Internet service provides typically lease their modem to customers, meaning you pay a small monthly amount to use it. So, by buying the best DSL modem from a retailer, you may end up saving money and result in faster internet speeds, especially if your IPS modem is dated. You also own the modem, and most DSL modems sold by retailers are better than those from ISPs.
How to choose the right DSL modem?
Choosing the right DSL modem is often difficult, especially for those that aren’t familiar with the various technical terminology. Here are some things to consider that will make buying the best DSL modem much easier:
- Compatibility: It’s important to choose a DSL modem that is compatible with your DSL broadband service. The current connections available for these modems include asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL), symmetrical digital subscriber line (SDSL), high data rate (HDSL) and very high data rate (VDSL), so be sure to contact your internet service provider to confirm the type of DSL modem is compatible with your internet.
- Connectivity: You need a DSL modem that connects to the appropriate devices, so for example if want to connect to several devices at once you will require a DSL modem either an Ethernet out connection that can connect to a router, or an easier option is to go for a modem with a built-in router.
- Speed: The speed of a DSL is important if you require a fast, reliable internet connection at all times. While it may not be essential for casual web browsing and using word documents, it’s essential to get a DSL modem with fast speed settings if you play video games, stream movies, or download. The top downstream speed of a DSL modem is typically around 15Mbps, with the upstream speed clocking a maximum of 1Mbps.
What is the best kind of DSL modem in the UK?
There are several options available when it comes to a DSL modem, which must be compatible with the DSL technology used with your broadband. This includes:
- ADSL Modem: Asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) modems support ADSL internet connections which is the most common type of digital subscriber line technology, being found in most homes. ADSL has downstream rates as high as 8Mbps with an upstream rate of around 1.5Mbps.
- VDSL Modem: Very high rate digital subscriber line (VDSL) modems connect to VDSL internet, which is the quickest form of digital subscriber line. Downstream rates top around 53Mbps and upstream rates hit 2.3Mbps.
- Modem Router Combo: When connecting a DSL modem to several devices using a single internet connection, you require a router to direct the various lines using the connection. An easy way to do this is to buy a DSL modem router combo, which has a router built into the DSL modem for easy connection across a sinlge network.
Top 10 list of DSL modems in the UK (September 2022)
The bestseller list compares brands and their DSL modems. Which DSL modem is the best?
- Please use only one router if two routers are installed that causes lot of interference…
- TP-Link Tether App –Easily access and manage your network, including remote…
- Lightning-Fast Wired Connection – USB 3.0 port and four Gigabit Ethernet ports…
- Note : If there is any problem with your router please upgrade firmware to the latest…
- PPTP VPN server and PPTP/L2TP VPN client support.
- VDSL/ADSL WAN multi service for IPTV support.
- Cisco WIC
- 1-port ADSL WAN Interface Card
- Cisco Systems
- TP-Link HomeShield - Real-time IoT and network protection, robust Parental Controls,…
- Fully Gigabit Ethernet - 4x Gigabit WAN/LAN Ethernet ports provide flexible internet…
- Superior Wi-Fi 6 speeds -Up to 5.4 Gbps - 4804 Mbps (5 GHz) and 574 Mbps (2.4 GHz)…
- Note : Please visit the ASUS global website and Upgrade Firmware to the latest v…
- OS Support - Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS X
- USB 3.0/2.0 for faster file sharing, printer sharing, and speed network
- 2 Gigabit LAN Ports
- Ideal Partner device for DrayTek dual-WAN products or any other vendor's Ethernet…
- Quick and Easy to Install: Works as a Modem with most ISPs, straight out of the box,…
- Compatible with ADSL2/2+, ADSL, VDSL2, fiber and cable services
- Dual WAN software 3 external antennas
- 2-in-1 design -Dual Port WAN – Wi-Fi router and DSL modem
- Made in Hong Kong
- Design that delivers high availability, scalability, and for maximum flexibility…
- Cisco 867Vae secure router with Vdsl2/ADSL2+ over pots
- AC1200 Wireless Speed, USB 3.0 Port
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, Integrated DSL modem
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi software
- Smart Hub Box contents: Setup Guide, Power Supply, Wireless Card, RJ11 and Network…
- supports 802.11 b/g/n/ac 3×3 MIMO on 2.4 GHz, and 802.11 a/n/ac 4×4 MIMO…
- Features Gigabit LAN ports and integrates an ADSL2+, VDSL2 and G.fast modem and FXS…
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best DSL modems, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a DSL modem test. Last Update: 2022/09/26.