Review10Best compares the best external hard drives in the UK and selects the one by Western Digital as the best external hard drive. In a external hard drive buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different external hard drives and see a recommendation on which external hard drive to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of external hard drives, you can find the best external hard drives and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate external hard drive buying guide
- View the external hard drive picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Looking for a great external hard drive to store all of your media content? Then it shouldn’t be too hard as there are many fantastic options available that make finding the best external hard drive possible quite easy.
What are external hard drives?
An external hard drive is a device used to store data on a computer like a standard internal hard drive, with the main difference being it is connected externally using a USB connection. This allows you to store more data should your laptop or computer be running out of hard drive space, while also being able to transport the media and easily connect it to other devices.
Why should you buy a good external hard drive?
The best external hard drives offer many benefits, including impressive storage space and easy portability. So, when combined, it means you have access to a storage device whenever you might need it while being able to carry large quantities of files on the move, such as pictures, music and videos. External hard drives are great for backing up important files and data from your computer, while also making it very easy to transfer data from different devices. Plus, they are a quick and easy way to increase the storage of your computer or laptop.
How to choose the right external hard drive?
To ensure you find the best external hard drive for your needs, there are a few important factors to consider. Knowing these should make finding that perfect hard drive that bit easier!
- Capacity: One of the most important things to look at when choosing an external hard drive, the capacity will determine how much data you can store. Smaller external hard drives have capacities ranging from 250 – 500GB of storage, while will be fine for most people only need it for smaller files like music and photographs. Larger external hard drives tend to range from 500GB to 1TB, while the most powerful can offer several TB of storage space.
- Uses: While you will obviously be storing data on an external hard drive, you should consider the type of data you are storing as it should make it easier to choose the capacity you need. For instance, if you only need to store small files like text documents and images, then a smaller capacity is fine. However, those that need to backup lots of data or who are looking to store larger files such as videos, then more storage space will be needed.
- Portability: For people that a storage device to use on the go, then lightweight and compact designs will be the better option for an external hard drive, and a hard casing is also advisable to ensure it remains intact and undamaged. For those that only need an external hard drive for additional disk space on their computer, then a larger, less slimline design should be fine.
What is the best kind of external hard drive in the UK?
There two main types of external hard drive to choose from. Each of these can come with various designs that may be useful, so be careful before choosing the best external hard drive:
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD): The most common type of external hard drive and the best-priced, hard disk drives feature moving parts inside to operate the hard drive. Older in design, the main benefit of this external hard drive is that it can store large quantities of data at a very reasonable price.
- Solid State Drive (SSD): A newer innovation, a solid state drive (SSD) is the best type of external hard drive in terms of performance. Its incredibly fast so can transfer data much quicker than a hard disk drive, and because there are no moving parts inside (SSDs use microchips similar to a USB stick) they are much more durable. However, SSD external hard drives are much more expensive when compared to hard disk drive types.
Top 10 list of external hard drives in the UK (October 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their external hard drives. Which external hard drive is the best?
- Compatible with Windows 10 or 8.1, reformat for MAC OS
- Fast data transfer with USB 3.0
- Free trial version of the WD SmartWare Pro software for automatic and cloud data…
- System Requirements - Formatted NTFS for Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows…
- USB-powered / Compatible with Xbox One and PS4
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0
- Enjoy long-term peace of mind with the included two-year limited warranty and two-yr…
- Quickly transfer files with USB 3.0 (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Instant Plug and Play PC Compatibility
- What’s Included: Maxone portable hard drive, 19-inch (48.26cm) USB 3.0 cable,…
- Simple Plug-and-Play Operation: Ready to use without external power supply or software…
- Impressive Performance: Powered by USB 3.0 technology, Maxone portable hard drives…
- Includes two month free membership to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan
- Install the free Seagate Mobile Backup app on an iOS or Android mobile device, and…
- Install the provided NTFS driver for Mac and use the drive interchangeably between…
- item comes with both UK and EU adapter
- WD quality inside and out
- Plug-and-play ready for Windows PCs
- Includes free two year rescue data recovery plan
- Automatic backup software and AES 256-bit encryption provide seamless protection…
- Drop, crush and rain-resistant for all-terrain use
- Ongoing confidence. There's no telling what's ahead in r own Journey. That's why…
- Seamlessly import, organise and share r photos, videos and docs to the My Passport…
- Social friendly. Included WD Discovery software lets connect to popular social media…
- 3-year limited warranty
- Ready to go with macOS and Windows right out of the box
- USB-C ready, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 3 compatible; USB-C to USB-A adapter includ…
- Data transfer rate: 260 MB/s
- Write Speed: 260 MB/s
- Read Speed: 260 MB/s
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best external hard drives, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a external hard drive test. Last Update: 2021/10/19.