Review10Best compares the best flatbed scanners in the UK and selects the one by Canon as the best scanner. In a flatbed scanner buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different scanners and see a recommendation on which flatbed scanner to buy in the UK in 2022. By considering the top list of scanners, you can find the best flatbed scanners and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate flatbed scanner buying guide
- View the flatbed scanner picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to scanners
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Flatbed scanners are the most popular type of scanner available, being relatively cheap, easy to use, and versatile in its scanning capabilities. However, this popularity means there are a lot of flatbed scanners to choose from, and not all of them are the same quality that you want from such a product. To help you find the best flatbed scanner for your needs, check out the below buying guide for all the info you need.
What are flatbed scanners?
A flatbed scanner is a probably the first thing people imagine when thinking about a scanner. It looks like the top of a photocopier, with a flat glass panel to place the document and a lid to keep it in place while scanning. It could not be easier to use either - just place the document/photo on the glass, close the lid, and then push the button to scan it into a connected device, such as a computer or laptop.
A good flatbed scanner is so popular due to its versatility and high resolution making it suitable for scanning various things like paper, receipts, photos, graphics etc.
Why should you buy a good flatbed scanner?
Affordable and versatile, if you are in the market for a reliable scanner then look no further than the flatbed scanner. It can scan most items you might need, whether it is important financial documents or old photographs, converting them into digital files for easier storage and sharing on various devices.
How to choose the right flatbed scanner?
Here are some things to look out for when you are buying the best flatbed scanners:
- Scanning Requirements: Think about what you need to scan so that you can choose a flatbed scanner that can accommodate this. For instance, if it is just the occasional paper document then a basic model should be fine, but if you want to scan photos, magazines, books etc., then you may want to choose a model that has higher resolution and is the right size.
- Size: Flatbed scanners come in various sizes, with most being no larger than A4 paper. This means you wouldn’t be able to scan anything bigger than A4, so if scanning larger documents you need to make sure that the scanner is large enough to fit them. Remember, the larger the scanner the more disk space the uncompressed file takes up.
- Resolution: Measured in pixels per inch (PPI), the resolution of the scanner determines how detailed an image is that you scan. Most have a minimum of 600 PPI, which is fine for documents and photos, so unless you are scanning film negatives, slides, or small objects like stamps, you won’t need higher PPI.
- Compatibility: It is always important to check the compatibility of scanners to ensure it work with your operating system. For example, most flatbed scanners will work with Windows operating system but you may need to check the compatibility with Mac operating systems. Some can download software to expand compatibility, although this may cause speed and performance to drop.
What is the best kind of flatbed scanner in the UK?
There are two main types of flatbed scanner available to buy:
- CIS Flatbed Scanners: Contact image sensor (CIS) scanners feature the latest scanning technology, using image sensors that are placed close to the object being scanned. This results in quicker scan times and less calibrations, although the colour and resolution may be lacking.
- CCD Flatbed Scanners: Charged coupled device (CCD) scanners use long standard method of placing multiple sensors throughout the machine. These produce an electric charge when the light from the scanner passes over, with the charge then converting the image into its digital form. They offer great colour and resolution but take some time to operate as they need frequently calibrated, while they can often struggle to scan wider documents.
Top 10 list of flatbed scanners in the UK (May 2022)
The bestseller list compares brands and their flatbed scanners. Which scanner is the best?
- One button for perfection ; Auto Scan for instant template recognition with one…
- Impressive quality ; Exceptional quality of up to 2400 x 2400 dpi with CIS senso…
- Rapid results ; Fast results: 300 dpi A4 scan in about 10 seconds
- Smart connectivity
- Easy functionality
- Improved accuracy
- Model number: B11B232401
- Power supply type: USB.
- The optical resolution of the scanner is 4800 DPI.
- WIA & TWAIN Compatible. OCR engine supports 120 languages.
- Various image editing functions: Dust Removal, Descreening, Color Restoration, Unsharp…
- Fast Scanning in 8 seconds at 200 dpi in color. Automatic Multiple images cropping.…
- Enjoy ease of use with 4 'EZ' buttons. With auto scan mode, the Scanner automatically…
- Digitize documents and images thanks to 2400 x 2400 dpi resolution, and with image…
- Scan documents quickly and easily with fast scanning up to 10 seconds
- USB powered: No AC adapter required
- Convert scanned documents into editable text: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)…
- Remove dust from scanned photos : Advanced Digital Dust Correction
- USB 3.0: Fast connectivity ensures you're never slowed down, even when scanning at…
- Fast: Scan speed of 25 pages per minute
- Intelligent: With a range of colour and image adjustments, the Epson DS-1630 has…
- 48 bit color and 16 bit grayscal for Scan Art, Documents, and Other Items
- Bundle with ABBYY findreader 12, Pagemanger and Docation
- Four one-touch button. pre-set function quick use.
- For any Support related to the product please contact : 0343 90 37766 or use web…
- Convenient resizable preview window
- Scan a wide range of photo and film formats
- [Windows, Mac and Linux] - Support Windows 7/8/10 , Mac OS X 10.8.x to 10.15.x. User…
- [TWAIN and WIA support] - Industry standard TWAIN drivers ensure compatibility with…
- [BATCH SCANNING] With A320E, you can scan multiple printed images at one time and…
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best scanners, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a flatbed scanner test. Last Update: 2022/05/18.
Other reviews related to scanners