Review10Best compares the best hair gels in the UK and selects the one by WELLA as the best hair gel. In a hair gel buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different hair gels and see a recommendation on which hair gel to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of hair gels, you can find the best hair gels and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate hair gel buying guide
- View the hair gel picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Finding the best hair gel is often challenging. There are seemingly countless products to choose from, so knowing which one is best for your hair and styling habits is not always obvious. Buy the wrong hair gel and you may not get the desired look, so it’s important to consider a few things before you buy! Check out the buying guide below to help you find the best hair gels:
What are hair gels?
A popular hairstyling product for men, hair gel is applied to wet or dry hair to provide a firm hold that lasts throughout the day. Hair gels can be made from a wide array of ingredients and can offer various finishes, from wet looks to adding temporary colour to the hair.
Why should you buy a good hair gel?
Hair gels are a great styling product, providing lasting control over hair, making it a great buy for anyone that wants to sculpt their hair. Good hair gels last for most of the day and can even nourish hair by providing nutrients that promote healthy hair growth, while some products can be used to give the desired finish like a wet look or adding temporary colour.
How to choose the right hair gel?
Struggling to find the best hair gel? Here are some things to consider when buying:
- Hold: Hair gels come with different holds, meaning how firm the product is when applied to the hair. Strong holds last the longest but are difficult to restyle, while lighter holds can be restyled and are better for people that want a more natural appearance to their hairstyle.
- Finish: Hair gels also come with various finishes, with popular options including wet look, shine, and natural. Consider your hairstyle and what type of finish complements it best. For instance, if you have a well-groomed style like the classic taper, then a wet look or shine finish works well. Some even offer temporary colour to your hair, so always check the finish to see what might work for you.
- Ingredients: There are various ingredients used to make hair gel, so check these and make sure there is nothing likely to irritate. Cheaper gels often contain lots of chemicals that may not be the healthiest for your hair or scalp and create overly powerful fragrances, although some can be useful such as alcohol, which has anti-bacterial properties.
What is the best kind of hair gel in the UK?
Some popular types of hair gel available to buy include:
- Wet Look Hair Gels: Wet look hair gel is a popular choice, offering a strong and lasting hold. It provides a shine finish that many people like, although it’s not the best for restyling and can be difficult to wash out.
- Water Soluble Hair Gels: This type of hair gel is much the same as others but with the added benefit of being much easier to wash out. It still offers a firm hold but doesn’t need shampoo to completely remove like many other gels.
- Colouring Hair Gel: Offers a temporary colour to your hair, often in vibrant hues that make it popular for special occasions such as a dress-up party. It does leave more of a mess behind, possibly staining the neck and clothes.
Top 10 list of hair gels in the UK (December 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their hair gels. Which hair gel is the best?
- Washes out hair easily
- Doesn't leave hair sticky or greasy
- Ultra strong hold
- Apply to dry or wet hair. Work desired amount through hair and style
- Like all our styling gels, it's weightless and will leave your hair with a healthy…
- It attracts moisture to the scalp and holds it in while also taming frizz
- Model number: 100684577
- No stickiness, stiffness and flaking
- Gentle on hair
- For All Hair Types
- Maximum hold styling gel
- Shines, nourishes, repairs and promotes Total hair health
- Eco style Argan oil gel provides style, shine and a weightless hold
- Eco style Argan oil styling gel is formulated with natural argan oil to help nourish…
- Lasts for up to 48 hours
- For short to medium hair
- High shine, wet look
- Great Value for money
- Not tested on animals
- Our wet hair gel offers a slick wet look
- Wet Look + Strong Hold
- Handy squeeze bottle
- Long Lasting Hold
- Great for adding texture and definition
- Maximum control
- Maximum lasting hold
- No residue
- For short to medium hair
- For a strong hold
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best hair gels, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a hair gel test. Last Update: 2021/12/04.