Review10Best compares the best highlighter pens in the UK and selects the one by STABILO as the best highlighter pen. In a highlighter pen buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different highlighter pens and see a recommendation on which highlighter pen to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of highlighter pens, you can find the best highlighter pens and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate highlighter pen buying guide
- View the highlighter pen picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
While many consider the best highlighter pen as being a purely subjective choice, there are aspects that make some better than others. With many different manufacturers and styles available, finding the best highlighter pens will depend on what you need it for and the type of pen purchased. Looking to add a great set of highlighter pens to your stationery? Then check out the handy guide below for everything you need to know!
What are highlighter pens?
A highlighter pen is a writing device used to highlight a body of text. By using translucent and vibrant colors, a good highlighter pen makes it much easier to read important sections of text. Highlighter pens come in several colors, typically using various fluorescent inks to achieve this, which flows from a felt tip.
Why should you buy a good highlighter pen?
A good highlighter pen is incredibly useful for many applications. Among the most common uses are for studying at school and college, as they can be used to highlight important pieces of information when studying. They are also common in offices for similar reasons, as they are great for highlighting any important data that needs to be remembered. Also, some like to have highlighter pens as part of their art supply, given their vibrant colors.
Best of all, even the best highlighter pen doesn’t cost much, giving all the more reason to buy one!
How to choose the right highlighter pen?
Buying stationery can often be hard when there is such a wide choice available, which is certainly the case with highlighter pens. For anyone looking for the best highlighter pen, consider some of the following:
- Tip size: Highlighter pens come with various tip sizes for highlighting different sizes of text. For instance, if the font size of the text is quite small, then a fine tip size will be needed to properly highlight. Chisel tips are the most common, being a great highlighter pen tip for most single lines of texts.
- Ink: There are many choices of ink for a highlighter pen, some of which are better than others. For instance, non-smear ink is certainly one of the best for a highlighter pen as it ensures everything remains eligible and organized. Additionally, quick-dry ink is very worthwhile as it will prevent possible problems that occur when too much ink is absorbed, such as spots of ink appearing on the other side of the paper.
- Color: An obvious thing to consider but one still worth mentioning. The best highlighter pen color is mostly subjective, although traditionally they are a fluorescent yellow. Certain types of text may be better highlighted by specific colors, such as red ink being easier to read than yellow. However, with a wide range of colors to choose from, you may find having more than one is the best option, as it allows you to use different colors to create a contrasting effect. Popular colors include pink, green, orange, and blue.
What is the best kind of highlighter pen in the UK?
There are a few choices when it comes to types of highlighter pens, with various inks, designs, and tips available. The following list of the best-selling highlighter pens might help you to choose the right one:
- Chisel Tip Highlighter Pens: A chiseled felt tip is ideal for highlighting most single lines of text. These highlighter pens are the most recognizable and affordable. However, be mindful of cheap inks that may smudge or soak through.
- Bullet Tip Highlighter Pens: A much finer highlighter pen compared to chisel tips types, they are more suited for creating bullet points, artwork, and highlighting smaller sections of texts by underlining them.
- Tri-lighter Pens: Combines three different highlighter colors in the one pen, usually in the shape of a triangle with a tip at each corner. A great highlighter pen for contrasting highlights, they also save a lot of space by having the three pens combined into one.
- Gel Highlighter Pens: Rather than using felt tips, these highlighter pens have a gel stick at the base. These are the best highlighter pens for avoiding ink bleed-throughs.
Top 10 list of highlighter pens in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their highlighter pens compare. Which highlighter pen is the best?
- The STABILO BOSS is the only highlighter that comes in 9 fluorescent colours to make…
- The wedged tip draws broad lines, highlights and underlines important parts of your…
- The highlighter is easy to refill at anytime and anywhere.
- Pack of 6 pens
- Ink colour: Assorted (yellow, pink, orange, green, blue, red)
- Chiselled nib provides both thick and thin lines
- Lasts for up to 8 hours with the cap off without drying out."
- Water based, fluorescent ink in pink, yellow, blue, green and orange.
- Chisel tip gives a line width of between 1.6mm for underlining and 3.3mm for broad…
- Ultra-soft chisel tip approximately 1-5 mm
- Twist cap for easy opening
- For paper, fax and carbon copies
- 2 line widths 1 + 4mm
- Water-based ink
- Europe's best selling pocket highlighter
- Their round marker barrels are designed for easy grip and crisp highlighting
- The water-based ink won't bleed through paper and is great for use on faxes and…
- Engineered with new anti-drying technology so they can go capless for up to 8 ho…
- Airplane-safe - automatic pressure equalization prevents pen from leaking on board…
- Pastel & vintage highlighter colours also can be used for colouring and hand…
- Scope of delivery: 6 pastel highlighter in a plastic box
- High quality - Made in Germany
- Variable line width of approx. 1 - 4 mm, ideal for marking small print texts
- Box contents: 6 triplus highlighters in a stable, adjustable STAEDTLER box.
- This set contains the full set of 6 STABILO pastel highlighters plus one extra highlighter…
- The 4-hour anti-dry out technology for concentrated working making these pens suitable…
- These Boss highlighters contain large ink reservoirs for extra-long highlighting…
- Includes: Fluorescent Pink, Yellow, Blue & Green Sharpie highlighters
- User friendly, quick-drying and odourless
- Smearguard ink technology resists smearing of many pen and marker inks (let ink dry…
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a highlighter pen test. Last Update 2021/01/22 21:30 o'clock.