Review10Best compares the best irons in the UK and selects the one by Russell Hobbs as the best iron. In a iron buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different irons and see a recommendation on which iron to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of irons, you can find the best irons and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate iron buying guide
- View the iron picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to irons
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
The best irons leave your clothes, linens, and other fabrics looking better than ever, yet knowing what type of iron best suits your needs can be difficult. There are many types of irons available and each one can be a great addition to your home, so let’s check out everything you need to know with our handy iron buying guide.
What are irons?
An iron is a small appliance that uses high heat to remove the creases from clothes and fabrics. It features a flat metal plate that heats to various temperatures when the iron is powered, which is then pressed against the surface of a fabric to remove any creases, usually on top of a portable ironing board.
Why should you buy a good iron?
A good steam iron is a must-have for any home. It allows you to easily remove creases from clothes made from any fabric, leaving them looking fresh, neat, and wrinkle-free. Moreover, ironing can improve the lifespan of clothes, as the fibres are worked in such a way that ironing increases their longevity.
While ironing seems like a chore, it’s well worth the time and effort. From improving self-confidence because your clothes look great to killing off germs that may have slipped through the cracks during washing, the best iron offers plenty of benefits for every user.
How to choose the right iron?
Here are a few things to consider when buying the best irons:
- Soleplate Material: The soleplate of the iron will impact how it works so always think carefully before you choose. Most irons use a ceramic plate, which is great at conducting and distributing heat, although sometimes they can stick to delicate fabrics and can break down over time. Stainless steel is another great heat conductor and is highly durable, while titanium is similarly durable and won’t cause any sticking, although both tend to be costlier than ceramic.
- Soleplate Size: Another important consideration to make is the size of the soleplate. The bigger this is the quicker you can iron, although it’s also going to make the iron heavier to use. It’s always recommended to select a larger soleplate in most instances, as it provides an even amount of high-quality steam for better crease removal.
- Steam Pressure: If you want to buy a steam iron, then look out for a continuous steam pressure which is usually given in grams per minute, as this determines how efficient they are at ironing. For example, a steam iron should have at least 50g/minute of continuous steam pressure, whilegood garment steamers or steam generators tend to need higher settings closer to 150g/minute. Anything lower won’t be as good at ironing.
What is the best kind of iron in the UK?
Here are some of the most popular types of irons currently available to buy:
- Dry Irons: An older type of iron but still widely available, dry irons are less efficient at ironing because they lack a water chamber and therefore the ability to generate steam. They can still iron well, especially on thinner materials, yet lack the versatility of other types of iron.
- Steam Irons: The best all-round iron, a steam iron features a water tank and holes on the soleplate to generate steam on the fabric. Steam makes ironing quicker and more efficient, so it’s generally much easier to use. It’s also highly versatile, coming with various heat settings to accommodate different materials.
- Steam Generators: Much larger than a steam iron, a steam generator uses higher volumes of steam for prolonged periods. This makes it the best iron for ironing large piles of clothes, as they hold much more steam so don’t need to be refilled. While more efficient, they also cost more than other types.
Top 10 list of irons in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their irons compare. Which iron is the best?
- Steam control: Lift the iron off the fabric. Press the steam button. Leave 4 seconds…
- Activating if left on or knocked over the automatic switch-off function is perfect…
- Improved glide means no more struggling to work your way through large laundry piles;…
- Self-clean feature helps to prevent the build-up of limescale which can help lengthen…
- Anti-drip feature means water won’t drip onto your clothes as you iron and…
- 150g steam shot for the toughest wrinkles and 40g continuous steam for tackling…
- Comes with 1-year guarantee, get extended 2-years warranty upon registration
- Long Life Span: Anti-drip, anti-calc and self-cleaning functions offer a longer…
- Variable Steam Functions: Precision steaming across small and large garments such…
- Easy Store Cable Clip - Holds the cable neatly in place when not in use
- Large Filler Cap - Easy fill water tank, without spills
- 100g Steam Boost - To tackle to most stubborn creases
- Easy fill large 300ml tank
- Soft touch handle and dial
- Easy fill 300 ml tank
- Drip-stop system keeps garments spotless while ironing
- Quick calc release in 15 seconds for easy cleaning and long-lasting steam perfor…
- Large water tank and drip stop system for more convenience
- Easier ironing: Extra-long 3 m power cord, drip stop system and automatic shut-o…
- Superior gliding performance and 4x longer life with anti-scratch SteamGlide sol…
- Long lasting steam performance: Built-in cleaning function to prevent and remove…
- Self-clean function to remove limescale and auto-shut off for extra safety
- Ceramic soleplate for a smooth glide over all fabrics
- Powerful steam boost to remove the most stubborn creases
- Automatic shut-off, anti-scale, anti-drip, self-clean feature, vertical steam plus…
- Large 400ml easy-fill water tank; comfort grip handle with up-to-temperature ill…
- Central steam channels and precision tip delivers steam exactly where you need i…
- Large 400ml Easy View Water Tank - Less refills and easy to view water level
- Auto Shut-Off - Extra safe auto shut-off feature
- Precision Tip Ceramic Soleplate - Gets into those hard to reach areas
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a iron test. Last Update 2021/01/20 18:24 o'clock.
Other reviews related to irons