Review10Best compares the best mouthwashes in the UK and selects the one by Corsodyl as the best mouthwash. In a mouthwash buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different mouthwashes and see a recommendation on which mouthwash to buy in the UK in 2022. By considering the top list of mouthwashes, you can find the best mouthwashes and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate mouthwash buying guide
- View the mouthwash picks and see how they rank in the top list
While not a necessary part of your daily oral hygiene regime, many people enjoy using mouthwash products, with dentists regarding it as a fine supplementary product to use alongside brushing and flossing. Yet with a bevy of products to choose from, not everyone is sure of how to find the best mouthwash for their oral hygiene, as some products are more suited for certain of dental issues.
Interested in using the best mouthwash possible to promote good oral hygiene? Then check out the guide below for all the info you need!
What are mouthwashes?
Mouthwash is an oral hygiene liquid used for a variety of reasons, from removing bad odours in the mouth to reducing bacteria associated with gum disease and tooth decay. It’s held in the mouth for a short time, often being swilled about at the same time, before being spit back out.
Why should you buy a good mouthwash?
There are few notable reasons to invest in a good mouthwash product, namely freshening your breath and removing any food debris in the mouth, although some specialist rinses offer relief or protection. For instance, fluoride rinses are the best mouthwash for protecting from decay, while antiseptic rinses are great at combating bacteria associated with gum disease. So, for anyone with a certain dental issue or those that want to maintain a high level of oral hygiene, buying a good mouthwash is certainly worthwhile
It’s worth noting however, even the best mouthwash products are only supplementary to brushing and flossing – you can’t replace either with just mouthwash!
How to choose the right mouthwash?
There’s a range of great mouthwash products out there, but they may not be the best choice depending on your dental health and any issues you might have. Here’s some important things to consider when looking the best mouthwash for your gums and teeth:
- Breath problems: For anyone that is having a problem with or is conscious about bad odours in their breath, then a breath-freshening mouthwash is the best choice. These are designed to battle the main causes of bad breath while avoiding unnecessarily high alcohol content found in other mouthwashes.
- Gum disease: If your main issue is dealing with – or looking to prevent – gum disease, then an antiseptic mouthwash is the better option to go for. This helps kill bacteria associated with gum disease, as well as decay, making them great for both dental problems.
- Decay: Preventing tooth decay requires regular brushing and flossing, but when adding in some fluoride mouthwash you can further protect your teeth. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and is a natural mineral, so it’s a great option for many looking to protect their teeth from decay.
- Sensitivity: Sensitive teeth or gums can make using a mouthwash rather uncomfortable, or even unbearable for some, so if this is the case be sure to look for suitable mouthwash. Natural or alcohol-free mouthwashes are typically the best option for sensitive teeth/gums.
What is the best kind of mouthwash in the UK?
There are a number of choices when it comes to types of mouthwashes, so one of them may be the best option for your own teeth and gums.
- Cosmetic Mouthwash: Often known as breath-freshening rinses, this is the best mouthwash for hiding bad odours in the mouth, which will be especially helpful for anyone suffering from halitosis. It’s also a great mouthwash even if your breath is fine, as it leaves it smelling minty fresh.
- Fluoride Mouthwash: These rinses contain sodium fluoride, which is provides a proactive coating for tooth enamel, helping to prevent decay. Most people will get their fluoride from toothpaste anyway, so it is usually only necessary for those that are especially susceptible to decay.
- Antiseptic Mouthwash: Kills bacteria associated with gum disease, and to a lesser extent tooth decay, making it a great mouthwash for those dealing with one or both issues. Can also be used to treat halitosis.
- Natural Mouthwash: Contains no alcohol or fluoride, making them a natural alternative to cosmetic mouthwashes. Often the best mouthwash for sensitive teeth due to the lack of alcohol.
Top 10 list of mouthwashes in the UK (September 2022)
The bestseller list compares brands and their mouthwashes. Which mouthwash is the best?
- Intended for everyday use, pour 10ml of Corsodyl mouthwash, rinse for 1 minute, and…
- An antibacterial mouthwash, it contains chlorhexidine which creates an antibacterial…
- Corsodyl Daily Care mouthwash helps to reduce bacteria which causes bad breath
- It works between the teeth and helps keep teeth naturally white
- Mouthwash provides 12 hour germ protection
- It helps maintain strong teeth and healthy gums
- Suitable for vegan
- Contains CPC (cetylpyridinium chloride)
- 24/7 bad breath control
- LISTERINE Cool Mint Mouthwash provides lasting fresh breath confidence for a cleaner…
- LISTERINE Cool Mint Mouthwash prevents and reduces plaque, a major cause of gum…
- LISTERINE Cool Mint Mouthwash 600ml, removes up to 97% of bad breath and plaque causing…
- Triple action efficacy: Kills, repels and lasts (2)
- Intensive care to help stop bleeding gums, swollen and inflamed gums
- Promotes healing after dental surgery or treatment
- *Follow a healthy diet and brush twice-daily with a fluoride toothpaste as protection…
- Usage: Use this mouthwash for fresh breath twice daily for one minute and combine…
- Why choose: It works as a mouthwash for bad breath, provides cavity prevention, helps…
- Colgate FluoriGard Fluoride Rinse Mouthwash promotes the remineralisation of early…
- The fluoride mouthwash prevents mineral loss caused by plaque acids
- The mouthwash contains fluoride to help protect teeth by making enamel more resistant…
- For best results, use twice daily after brushing for 30 seconds
- LISTERINE Total Care Stay White provides 12 hour germ protection to help maintain…
- LISTERINE Total Care Stay White Mouthwash 600ml, is proven to provide 10-in-1 benefits…
- Triple action efficacy: Kills, repels and lasts (2) (1) Plaque bacteria (2) When…
- An intensive treatment to be used for no longer than 2-4 weeks
- Kills the main cause of gum disease (gingivitis) in 30 seconds and promotes healing…
- Helps to prevent tooth cavities
- Protection against bacteria and plaque
- Strengthens and protects gums
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best mouthwashes, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a mouthwash test. Last Update: 2022/09/25.