Review10Best looks at the best olive oils in the UK and selects the one by Filippo Berio as the best olive oil. In a olive oil buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different olive oils and see a recommendation on which olive oil to buy in the UK in 2020. By considering the top list of olive oils, you can find the best olive oils and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate olive oil buying guide
- View the olive oil picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about olive oils
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
Olive oil is widely regarded as one of best cooking oils available. A nutrient-rich and all-natural product, a good olive oil is a must-have for anyone looking for healthy cooking products. In fact, olive oil is used in a wide range of food and cosmetic products thanks to its various positive properties!
Looking to buy the best olive oil for your cooking? Here is everything you need to know:
What are olive oils?
Olive oil is a cooking oil obtained from olives, a fruit that grows on the olive tree. Olive oil is made by pressing olives to extract the oil, which is used as a cooking fat and as a dressing for various salad dishes. A staple of Mediterranean cuisine, only the best olive oils are known for their pleasant taste.
Why should you buy a good olive oil?
The best olive oils taste incredible. It’s fantastic for cooking as it remains a healthy cooking oil: Unlike other oils the extraction process requires no solvents or chemicals, making it one of the best oils to cook with. Rich in monounsaturated fat, vitamin E, and antioxidants, olive oil is great for any dishes.
How to choose the right olive oil?
Choosing the best olive oil can be difficult if you don’t know what to look for. Here are some things to consider that can help you find a great olive oil:
- Expiration Date: The best olive oils don’t age well, so it is important to find one with a suitable harvest date. If the packaging don’t reveal this information then the expiration date works to the same effect. Basically, you want a good olive oil that has a year left on its expiration date or that harvest date was within the last 12 months.
- Origin: A great olive oil is sourced, processed, and bottled in a single country, preferably in Italy or Crete. Be mindful that some products that claim to be the product of a certain county may only be bottled there, so always check the label for this info!
- Color: Don’t be mistaken into thinking certain colors of olive oil reflects their quality. Color is based purely on the type of olive fruit which there are many of so doesn’t impact the quality in any way.
- Taste: One of the easiest ways to find the best olive oil is to taste it! Granted, not every retailer provides free samples, but those that do are worth visiting. Olive oils come in many distant flavors, such as floral, fruity and herbal, so you often need to taste these yourself to find one to your liking.
What is the best kind of olive oil in the UK?
There are many types of olive you can buy, some of which are much better for you than others, while some simply taste different:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The best olive oils in terms of quality, extra virgin olive oil has the most antioxidants. Extracted by a cold-press process, it retains most of the olive’s natural flavors and has no chemicals or solvents used to process it.
- Virgin Olive Oil: A great quality olive oil that is only slightly inferior to extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil is also unrefined, allowing it to maintain the natural taste. The only notable difference between it and extra virgin olive oil is that it has a slightly lower acidity level.
- Refined Olive Oil: A much cheaper olive oil - refined refers to the fact it is made by refining virgin olive oil. This does remove the acidity, but also lowers the nutritional value of the oil.
- Pure Olive Oil: A basic olive oil created by a blend of refined olive oil and extra virgin olive oil. It retains the acidity but loses most of its nutrients compared to better quality oils.
Top 10 list of olive oils in the UK (October 2020)
This top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their olive oils rank and which olive oil is the best.
- It can be used as a healthy finish to steamed vegetables, baked potatoes and sou…
- Perfect for Dipping Drizzling and Marinating
- Unique Rich and Fruity Flavour
- Try our unique Traditional Greek olive oil. Feel the freshness and its excellent…
- 2016 & 2014 Silver Metal New York International Olive Oil Competition (NYIOOC).…
- High in polyphenols and very low acidity. Very nutritional and beneficial for the…
- Suitable for Vegans.
- Tasting notes : rocket and watercress, sweeter tones, green bananas, touch of to…
- Intensely herbaceous, with aromas of leaves, stalks, flowers, citrus & nuts.
- Makes syringing easier where necessary and can help to avoid the need for ear sy…
- Gently softens and helps remove hardened ear wax
- Medicinal grade olive oil
- Morrisons since 1899
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Dunk, marinate, drizzle and dress
- FARCHIONI TRADITION This fine and genuine oil with its unique fresh olive fragrance…
- HEALTHY PRODUCT Indispensable part of the Mediterranean Diet. Very low acidity (0,…
- VARIETY It will enrich your fish, meat, sauces, pasta & vegetables and always…
- This versatile oil can be used in salad dressings, smoothies, pasta dishes, a dip…
- Excellent emollient. Suitable for all skin types including those with mature skin.…
- It is normally a yellow to green liquid with a mild characteristic aroma. It is cloudy…
- Kalamata refers to the area where the olives are grown, not the olive variety, which…
- Olives are harvested with care by hand according to traditional methods and pressed…
- A full-bodied herbaceous flavour slowly builds in the mouth to leave a pleasant peppery…
- Greek natural product, Mediterranean Diet. Suitable for Vegetarians.
- Very low acidity (0, 5) , rich content of polyphenoles, high nutritional value
- Traditional Greek flavor. Deep, bright green colour and a fruity, bittersweet taste…
iAffiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a olive oil test. Last Update 2020/10/21 18:42. o'clock.
Recommended Video about the best olive oils