Review10Best compares the best protein bars in the UK and selects the one by Grenade as the best protein bar. In a protein bar buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different protein bars and see a recommendation on which protein bar to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of protein bars, you can find the best protein bars and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate protein bar buying guide
- View the protein bar picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
The best protein bars offer a convenient source of protein and various other nutrients, making them a popular product for many people. However, not all protein bars are as healthy as they appear, with many having high sugar content that make them less effective than others. With so many options available, it’s difficult to know what the best protein bar is for your needs, especially when buying for the first time.
Check out the buying guide below for how to choose the best protein bar:
What are protein bars?
A protein bar is a nutritional snack with high protein content, featuring a much higher proportion compared to other nutrients such as carbohydrates and fats. Mostly used for dietary purposes, protein bars come with various purposes, such as meal replacement, increased energy, and building muscle.
Why should you buy a good protein bar?
A good protein bar offers various benefits for people on a strict diet or exercise regime. For instance, offering high protein content they are a popular snack for exercise enthusiast looking to build to muscle, with pre and post snack workout bars available.
Others use a protein bar as a meal replacement when dieting, with high protein content being a great nutrient for curbing appetites. Some people use protein bars for their high nutrient content, eating them as a healthy snack that offers ample energy.
Plus, being a small snack, protein bars are incredibly convenient no matter their purpose, offering a quick snack that can be eaten between meals or as a replacement meal.
How to choose the right protein bar?
With so many different products to choose from, finding the best protein bar isn’t always easy. With so many ingredients, purposes, and flavours to choose from, it is important to make a few considerations before you buy.
- Protein Content: The best protein bars have the highest protein content, so be sure to inspect this whenever buying. Some are deceptively low on protein, with a good average being around 20g per bar. Those with lower protein content may offset the difference with other macronutrients like carbs, which may be preferable depending on whether you’re exercising before or after you eat it.
- Carb Content: The carb content of a protein bar is also important, with around 15-20g being the idea amount. Remember, you want more protein than anything else, so make sure to check the proportion of carbs to protein. However, higher carb content is good for certain purposes, typically high-cardio workouts they offer more sustained energy.
- Sugar: Always try to buy protein bars with low sugar content, as this is an unnecessary ingredient that can hamper diets and workouts. Anything with around 1 to 2g of sugar is recommended and be sure avoid anything with 5g or more.
- Flavour: Although mostly subjective, be sure to consider the flavour of the bar in relation to the ingredients. Yes, something more flavourful such as cookies and cream protein bar may taste amazing, but it should never be at the expense of healthy ingredients - you want protein and nutrients, not just a tasty snack!
What is the best kind of protein bar in the UK?
There are many types of protein bars available, all of which have different purposes and may be suitable for your needs.
- Nutrition Bars: This type of protein bar balances high protein content with other nutrients and vitamins. This is great for getting all the stuff you need for a healthy diet or for a pre/post work out snack. Also good for a snack on the go as it offers a good balance of nutrients to keep you feeling good.
- Low Carb Bars: Not all protein bars feature low amounts of carbs, which is often desired by those looking to build lean muscle while losing weight or for cutting back on carbs in general. A great protein bar for maintaining a steady blood sugar level, low carb bars also help to curb appetites.
- Meal Replacement Bar: The best protein bars for dropping a few pounds, meal replacement bars are nutrient dense so are an excellent addition to a weight-loss diet.
Top 10 list of protein bars in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their protein bars compare. Which protein bar is the best?
- Certified with the Informed Sport programme and therefore suitable for use by drug…
- Carb Killa is an indulgent low sugar snack, ideal for enjoying at any time of the…
- A selection of our latest Carb Killa bars
- Ideal for an on the go or stay at home breakfast
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Presented in two 35 g servings, ideal for on-the-go snacking
- LIFE'S WONDERFUEL: We want FULFIL bars to fuel you on all of your everyday adventures,…
- 9 VITAMINS: Each FULFIL bar contains 30% RDA for 9 essential vitamins to support…
- SMARTER & TASTIER: Our Chocolate Salted Caramel bar contains only 204kcal. Our…
- PACK OF 12 x PROTEIN BARS - Save money with this multipack of 12 high protein bars.…
- GREAT TASTE! WHITE CHOCOLATE & CRANBERRY - Chewy granola oat bar that can be…
- USE PRE OR POST WORKOUT - Eat pre workout for an energy boost or post workout to…
- Ideal in-between meals, after hitting the gym for a strenuous workout or whenever…
- An on-the-go snack that sacrifices absolutely nothing in terms of taste
- Optimum Nutrition high protein bars contain no added sugar (contains naturally-occurring…
- Gluten free
- Low sugar
- 20 g protein per bar
- A delicious & Indulgent chocolate brownie experience. Perfect for those chocoholics…
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Less than 250 calories each
- Suitable for vegetarians; carefully selected ingredients
- Better tasting bars with no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives
- High in protein, high in fibre, gluten free; containing 20 Percent of your daily…
- VAT Receipt Provided by post and email.
- Gluten Free Suitable For Vegans - Suitable for Vegetarians - Made in UK - Egg Free…
- Trek Trek Cocoa & Oat Flapjack 48 g
- This product is made with certified sustainable palm oil. The supplier of this product…
- Not suitable for Nut, Peanut and Egg allergy sufferers due to manufacturing meth…
- Warning: Excessive consumption may produce laxative effects
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a protein bar test. Last Update 2021/01/25 19:48 o'clock.