Review10Best compares the best protein powders in the UK and nominates the one from OPTIG as the best protein powder. In our protein powders review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different protein powders and follow our recommendation on which protein powder to buy in the UK in 2019. With the protein powder comparison, you can be sure to buy the best protein powder on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate protein powder buying guide
- View our protein powder picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to protein powders
- Watch recommended videos about protein powders
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
One of the most popular health supplements sold today, protein powders offer a range of benefits for people that frequently exercise, especially when looking to recover from a rigorous workout. But with such a huge range of products to choose from, finding the best protein powder for your personal needs does take some research.
For anyone looking to find the right protein powder for their fitness regime, check out the guide below for everything you need know.
What are protein powders?
Protein powder is a type of health supplement that comes from a variety of sources, including soy, whey, and casein protein. It provides a source of complete protein for anyone that consumes the powder, which is mixed with a liquid, such as water or milk, to create a protein shake.
Why should you buy a good protein powder?
The best protein powder products offer a source of high-quality, complete proteins, which is an essential nutrient for the body. Not everyone manages to meet their daily recommendation for protein, which is mostly sourced from leans meats and dairy products, in which case a supplement such as protein powder allows them to reach this daily goal. Also, anyone that works out regularly will benefit from increased amounts of protein, as it aids with muscle growth and recovery, so many opt to drink a protein shake post-workout.
This is especially true for bodybuilders or anyone looking to increase muscle mass, as a higher intake of protein is required for repairing and rebuilding muscle. Not only that, but anyone following a vegan diet may require a good protein powder product to supplement the lack of protein in their diet, as it's mostly sourced from meat, fish, and dairy.
How to choose the right protein powder?
There are endless choices when it comes to protein products, so finding the best protein powder for you may require some homework.
Here are a few things to consider for choosing the perfect protein powder for you:
- Flavour: One of the easiest things to choose and one worth thinking about, as even the best protein powders might not taste that great. The most popular choices being chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
- Protein Source: Protein powder is made from a number of different sources, so be sure to choose one that suits your needs and preferences. For instance, a good whey protein powder should be available at a good price due to its popularity but is made from milk so may not be suitable for everyone looking for a lactose free powder.
- Know Your Needs: Why do you need protein powder? Knowing this should make buying a great protein powder much easier, as you will understand which type is best suited for your needs. For example, anyone looking to lose weight with a fat burner will want to buy powders that contain less sugar or sweeteners, while someone looking to build muscle will want a high biological value protein powder for maximum protein intake and thus helping muscles to recover and grow faster.
What is the best kind of protein powder in the UK?
Like any health supplement product, protein powders are available from a variety of sources and can feature any combination of ingredients. Finding one the best suits your goals and needs is therefore important, otherwise, you could end up wasting your time and money! Here are the best types of protein powders to buy:
- Whey Protein Powders: A great protein powder for building lean muscle and promoting fat loss, whey protein is one of the most widely available products out there. A fine protein powder for most people, especially first time buyers, it is absorbed very quickly into the body so is great for post-workout recovery. It’s sourced from milk however, so this may be unsuitable for people with certain intolerances or dietary choices such as gluten free diets.
- Casein Protein Powders: Another protein powder sourced from milk, casein protein powder is a great option similar to whey, but with the main difference being that it takes longer to digest.
- Egg Protein Powders: As the name suggests, this protein is sourced from eggs, making it one of the richest in nutrients. Because of this though, it’s one of the more expensive protein powders, but one of the highest quality all the same.
- Soy Protein Powders: Soy beans offer protein from a plant source, making it quite unique as its typically sourced from animal products. This makes it the best protein for vegans and anyone with allergies to foods like egg or milk.
Top 10 list of protein powders in the UK (July 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their protein powders rank and which protein powder is the best.
- • OVER 12 DECADENT FLAVOURS TO CHOOSE FROM
- • 5 SIZES TO CHOOSE FROM - 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10-pound options available
- • 1 - 3.3 g CARBS, 1 - 1.7 g SUGAR, AND 1.0 - 1.7 g FAT per serving
- Low in fat and carbohydrates
- Mixes instantly
- Rich in glutamine and BCAA
- OVER 12 DECADENT FLAVOURS TO CHOOSE FROM
- 5 SIZES TO CHOOSE FROM - 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10-pound options available
- 1 - 3.3 g CARBS, 1 - 1.7 g SUGAR, AND 1.0 - 1.7 g FAT per serving
- The high protein all-in-one to maximise results
- Refuel, repair technology to speed up recovery
- 5 g creatine per serving to optimise performance
- Ideal to lose body fat and control calorie intake
- Derived from milk and high in amino acids such as cysteine, glutamine
- Low in fat, sugar and salt
- Available in a range of delicious flavours
- Ideal for anyone looking to increase daily protein intake
- Contributes to the growth and maintenance of muscle mass
- Diet Support: CLA supports a weight management diet by providing essential fatty…
- Balanced 192 calorie meal
- Fatty Acid Oxidation: Premium grade green tea extract increases the beta-oxidation…
- Contains less than 5 g of fat per serving
- Includes 25 vitamins and minerals, creatine, glutamine and MCT
- 250 g of carbohydrates to fuel intense workouts and help replenish glycogen stor…
- Supports muscle growth
- Low in fat and carbohydrates
- Less than 100 calories per shake
- On the days you train - twice a day, once after training and once mid-morning or…
- Every serving provides a source of fibre, a key component of a healthy, balanced…
- Every serving provides an impressive 3 g of calcium HMB, a metabolite of the essential…
i,ii Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/07/20 23:11. o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program (case i) and Kelkoo Associates Program (case ii), a affiliate advertising programs that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon and other merchants. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Other reviews related to protein powders
Recommended Video about the best protein powders