Review10Best compares the best rowing machines in the UK and nominates the one from XS Sports as the best rowing machine. In our rowing machines review, you can read more about our experiences we made with the different rowing machines and follow our recommendation on which rowing machine to buy in the UK in 2019. With the rowing machine comparison, you can be sure to buy the best rowing machine on the market and save a lot of money if you buy it online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate rowing machine buying guide
- View our rowing machine picks and see how they rank in the top list
- Watch recommended videos about rowing machines
Go to the ranking
(skip buying guide)
The best rowing machines offer low impact workouts that will keep you fit and healthy. However, knowing what constitutes a good rowing machine is often difficult, espiecally if you’ve never used the equipment before. It helps to know a few things prior to buying a rowing machine to ensure you get a suitable model for your needs.
Check out the buying guide below for how to choose the best rowing machine:
What are rowing machines?
A rowing machine is a type of exercise machine used to mimic the motion of rowing a boat. As this action requires a lot of action, a rowing machine offers a highly effective cardio workout, while many people also use them as training for rowing.
Why should you buy a good rowing machine?
The best rowing machines are relatively easy to use and provide a quality workout. In fact, using a rowing machine is one of the best forms of cardio exercise, making them effective for weight loss, increasing fitness and stamina.
So, by using a rowing machine at home you can expect quality workouts that offer endless benefits to your personal health. It also provides a great upper body workout, building and toning muscle in the shoulders, arms, and back, which can help reduce back aches and improve posture.
How to choose the right rowing machine?
Choosing a good rowing machine requires a few considerations, otherwise you may end up with a machine that isn’t suitable for you. Here are some things to think about that can make it easier to find the right rowing machine:
- Space: Buying exercise equipment for home use requires appropriate space, so always check the size of any rowing machine you’re thinking of buying. Thankfully, rowing machines are generally compact and lightweight, so they can be stood upright when storing them. Adjustable rowing machines are often better space savers.
- Fitness Goals: Consider your fitness goals before buying a rowing machine to ensure you get a suitable model. For example, a low resistance rowing machine is great for weight loss and is also quite cheap, while rowing machines with additional tension levels are suitable for building muscle.
- Resistance: Rowing machines use different types of resistances, so make sure you check these to see which is best suited for your needs. For instance, the best value rowing machines usually feature hydraulic resistance, which isn’t the toughest but helps keep prices down. Other resistance types include magnetic, air, and water.
What is the best kind of rowing machine in the UK?
As previously mentioned, rowing machine are determined by the type of resistance they use, with the following options currently available:
- Air Resistance Rowing Machine: Perhaps the most popular type of rowing machine, the resistance presented to the user is determined by their own rowing intensity. So, the harder you row, the more resistance there is, with the rowing motion is generally quite smooth.
- Hydraulic Resistance Rowing Machine: Hydraulic rowing machines offer okay resistance but are one of the cheapest types available, making them suitable for beginners and anyone on a budget. You can usually adjust resistance levels to suit your own abilities, although the rowing motion isn’t as lifelike as other types.
- Water Resistance Rowing Machine: As the name suggests, this type of rowing machine provides a resistance that closely resembles water. So, using this is perhaps the most lifelike type of rowing machine, as it feels as if you are literally rowing on water. Resistance intensity is determined by the user’s effort.
- Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine: The inclusion of a magnetic breaking system makes this type of rowing machine very quiet, which is certainly appealing for home use. Resistance is adjustable, and the motion is smooth, making it a great rowing machine in most regards, although it tends to cost more.
Top 10 list of rowing machines in the UK (June 2019)
Our top 10 list shows how manufacturers and their rowing machines rank and which rowing machine is the best.
- Max User 100kg-Full 12 month warranty
- Compact and fold-able with just one knob to remove, rail section can then be folded…
- Advanced belt drive system, providing rapid engagement for a great training resu…
- ROHS CE compliance.
- Compact and foldable. Maximum User Weight is 100kg.
- Advanced belt driving system provides rapid engagement for an excellent training…
- Foam padded seat
- Foldable for easy storage
- 4 way adjustable resistance
- Monorail Length : 137 cm (Users with an inseam of 38 inches (96.5 cm) or more may…
- Requires footprint of 274 cm x 122 cm; 227kg capacity; 5-year frame warranty.
- Easily separates into two pieces for storage. Caster wheels make it mobile.
- QUALITY: The safety of the rower machine has been tested according to EN ISO 20957-1,…
- DETAILS: Ball bearing & comfortable rudder seat, high quality aluminium roller rail,…
- PULSE: Accurate & constant pulse measurement via uncoded 5 kHz chest straps. The…
- The RM91000 Rowing machine has been built with serious exercise use in mind, and…
- Rowing machine Dimensions: Base Frame：Φ80 X 40 X 1.5 MM; Fixed Handlebar：Φ25…
- Features; Rower Resistance: Air resistance Machine Console: Intuitive LCD Display Rowing…
- TRACK YOUR PROGRESS: There is a built in computer that monitors and displays; (theoretical)…
- SECURE FOOTPLATES: The large pivoting footplates have velcro straps to keep your…
- FREE DVD: A free complimentary instructional DVD is included to help you get accustomed…
- Maximum user weight is 115 kg
- Three-screen, six-function exercise monitor
- Pivoting, oversize PVC footplates with two-position mount and adjustable velcro style…
- The rower dimension is 174 X 38 x 54 CM, The weight of the fly wheel is 7kg
- Maximum wight of product is 26 KG, Easy folding and assembly, Warranty: 12 months…
- 16 Stone (101 KG) User Capacity, Can be used for both indoor and outdoor workout
- Suitable for users of up to 110cm (43.3") leg length
- Folded dimensions: Length=74cm (29"), Width=53cm (20.8"), Height=119cm (46.8")
- Measures 178 cm (70 inch) length by 53 cm (20.8 inch) width by 48 cm (18.9 inch)…
i Price incl. VAT., exkl. shipping. Price may vary. Last Update. 2019/06/25 18:48 o'clock. Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program that enables us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword.
Recommended Video about the best rowing machines