Review10Best compares the best senior dog foods in the UK and selects the one by Arden Grange as the best dog food. In a senior dog food buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different dog foods and see a recommendation on which senior dog food to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of dog foods, you can find the best senior dog foods and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate senior dog food buying guide
- View the senior dog food picks and see how they rank in the top list
- See other reviews related to dog foods
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
As your pet dog ages, so too does its dietary habits. So it’s important that you find the best senior dog food to accommodate these changes! However, choosing a new dog food after all these years can be difficult, so check out this handy buying guide for all the info you need to find a great dog food for your senior dog.
What are senior dog foods?
Senior dog food is a type of pet feed formulated for the diet of older dogs. While mostly the same as any other dog food, good senior dog food feature certain ingredients that cater to the changing dietary needs of an older dog, ensuring it gets all the nutrients it requires at this stage of its life.
Why should you buy a good senior dog food?
As your dog gets older, it’s feeding habits are going to change. Not only is it likely to eat less than it once did, but its dietary requirements change. For instance, it still needs meat but less than in the past, while some ingredients alleviate joint aches and are easier to digest. So, to ensure that your senior dog remains fit and healthy in its golden years, you’ll want to ensure it has the best senior dog food possible!
How to choose the right senior dog food?
Here are some things to think about when looking for the best dog food for your senior dog:
- Ingredients: You should always check the ingredients of senior dog food to ensure it meets your pet’s requirements. For example, most senior dogs don’t need as many calories due to a slower metabolism, so the food should typically have less meat than the adult food your dog used to eat, while high fibre content is recommended for improved digestion.
- Health Problems: Senior dogs often carry age-related ailments that require a change in their diet, so be mindful of this when switching to a new food. For instance, kidney issues are common for many older dogs, in which case a dog food with lower protein content is suitable as it puts less strain on their kidneys.
- Size: Smaller dogs live longer than larger dogs, so if you have a small senior dog then it may be worth buying a certain type of wet dog food that caters to their longer lifespan. For example, foods rich in antioxidants are recommended for older smaller dogs, as this can help reduce the rate of age-related issues developing.
What is the best kind of senior dog food in the UK?
Most senior dog food products fall in one of the two main types of dog food:
- Wet Dog Food for Seniors: Wet dog food is made of mostly fresh meat along with other plant-based ingredients. While older dogs have less energy so need less meat in their diet, smaller portions of wet dog food are a great way to ensure they all the nutrients they need while providing added moisture, which is great for older dogs that are drinking less water.
- Dry Dog Food for Seniors: This variant ist also known as kibble. Dry dog food for seniors typically has high fibre content and the crunchy texture can be great for maintaining dental health. However, some older dogs struggle to chew and digest dry dog food, so if buying this make sure it’s formulated for older dogs for easier digestion.
Top 10 list of senior dog foods in the UK (November 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their senior dog foods. Which dog food is the best?
- Contains prebiotics, krill and yucca extract
- L-carnitine to help increase fat metabolism and improve stamina
- Boosted levels of joint support for extra joint protection
- Omega fatty acids for coat and skin
- Taurine and carnitine for a healthy heart
- Prebiotics for digestive health
- Prebiotic FOS, to help maintain a healthy digestion
- Whole Oats Known to Help Support a Healthy Heart
- Balanced ratio of omega 6 and 3 oils for a glossy coat
- TAILORED NUTRITION to support healthy ageing for your senior dog.
- Dual shape and size kibbles
- With Natural Prebiotic, proven to help improve Digestive Health
- Dog food lovingly developed with vets and over 70 years experience
- Crunchy kibbles and tailored mineral levels for healthy teeth
- Antioxidant blend with Vitamin E to help support the immune system of your dog
- Healthy digestion
- Supple joints
- Gentle on your dog's digestion
- Nourising lamb, brown and pearl rice and whole barley in delicious crunchy nugge…
- Full of natural goodness
- Item display weight: 12.0 kilograms.
- APPROVED BY VETS - Our natural dog food is approved by vets for senior dogs of all…
- 40% CHICKEN, TROUT AND SALMON- This yummy pet food for older dogs blends chicken,…
- Contains Chudley's coat condition supplement for a healthy shine and taurine for…
- Functional fibres promote intestinal well-being
- Packed with canine superfood green lipped mussel and herbs to provide nutritional…
- Complete dry food and hypo-allergenic
- Omega 3 oils to help promote a healthy, glossy coat
- Made with natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best dog foods, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a senior dog food test. Last Update: 2021/11/27.
Other reviews related to dog foods