Review10Best compares the best smoke detectors in the UK and selects the one by Fireangel as the best smoke detector. In a smoke detector buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different smoke detectors and see a recommendation on which smoke detector to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of smoke detectors, you can find the best smoke detectors and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate smoke detector buying guide
- View the smoke detector picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
The best smoke detectors offer fast reactions to fire risks, giving plenty of time to warn you so that you can escape. At the same time, you don’t want a smoke detector that will go off at the slightest bit of smoke in the kitchen, as we’re all prone to burning something now and then.
Check the buying guide below for how to choose the best smoke detector:
What are smoke detectors?
A smoke detector is a fire-protection device that detects the presence of smoke and then provides a warning signal, usually as in the form of a loud audio alarm. So, in the event of there being a fire in a home, the smoke detector senses the smoke from the fire, alerting people in the process.
Why should you buy a good smoke detector?
A smoke detector is one of the most important devices for a home, and the reasons for having one are very obvious - they significantly reduce the risk of dying in a house fire. By providing loud warning alarm, residents are given a chance to escape from a fire before it gets too hazardous, potentially saving their lives in the process.
How to choose the right smoke detector?
It is important to choose the best smoke detector possible to ensure the safety of you and your family, but it’s not always obvious which devices are the best. Be sure to consider the following things to help you choose a good smoke detector:
- Power Source: Smoke detectors are either battery operated or hardwired, so be sure to consider which option is best for you. Battery smoke detectors are generally cheaper and easier to install, with batteries needing changed around every six months. Hardwired detectors operate on line voltages so there is no risk of forgetting about the battery, and most have a backup battery should a fire disrupt the power.
- Features: Modern smoke detectors offer many features that may be useful. For instance, voice control detectors allow you to hush an alarm if you accidently burn something when cooking, while remote control devices provide real time notifications to you phone should something occur away when you aren’t home. The more features the smoke detector has the costlier it will be, but many features are worth the investment so be sure to check them out when buying.
- Connected Systems: It’s possible to get interconnected smoke detectors throughout the home, which means when one alarm goes off the rest do too. This is certainly worth buying if you have a large home where you might not hear an alarm in certain rooms but be mindful that they will likely need professional installation. Stand-alone detectors are unconnected and will only alert to the nearest danger, but this may be more than enough if you live in a smaller space.
What is the best kind of smoke detector in the UK?
There are several types of great smoke detectors available, all of which offer their advantages.
- Isolation Smoke Detector: This type of detector ionise air between two electrodes, resulting in a small current in the device. If smoke reaches into the detector, this alerts the current, which provides a signal that activates the alarm.
- Optical Smoke Detector: This type of detector features an infrared LED that provides a beam pulse every few seconds into a sensor chamber of the device. If smoke appears in the sensor, the infrared light detects and triggers the alarm.
Top 10 list of smoke detectors in the UK (January 2021)
The top 10 list shows how brands and their smoke detectors compare. Which smoke detector is the best?
- Positioning - bedroom, living room, landing, hallways, dining room
- Sleep easy function - low battery end of life chirp can be silenced for eight hours…
- Test and smart silence button - allows the alarm to be silenced for up to 10 minutes…
- Certified to BS EN14604: 2005
- Product life span: 10 years, battery life: 10 years sealed for life battery
- Toast proof - less prone to nuisance alarms from cooking fumes
- Can be used in the bedroom, living room and landing
- Certified to BS EN 14604: 2005
- Sounds a loud 85 dB alarm
- LARGE LCD DISPLAY: Clearly displays battery level and the real-time CO levels in…
- LED INDICATOR: Clearly informs you of the working status of the alarm with its 3-color…
- ACCURATE, RELIABLE & HIGHLY SENSITIVE: The X-Sense combination smoke and co alarm…
- Features a silence button for false alarms
- Equipped with a test button and low battery warning
- Wireless and easily installed with all mounting materials included
- Warranty 10 years | approvals: BSI certified to EN14604: 2005 (smoke) | BSI certified…
- Model 10Sco | Power supply 9V battery supplied as standard | temperature range 0C…
- The voice warnings given by this alarm are: "fire! Fire!" "Warning!…
- Supplied with fixings: 2 x screws and 2 x rawl plugs.
- 9v alkaline battery included, must be replaced every 1 -2 years.
- Kitemarked and CE marked. 10 year sensor life and manufacturer’s warranty.
- SAFETY CERTIFICATION: All X-Sense alarms are approved by TÜV and are rigorously…
- SELF-CHECK & SILENCE FUNCTIONS: Equipped with a low-battery warning, so you know…
- EASY TO INSTALL: This mini smoke detector has a diameter of only 78 mm, so it can…
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION WITH GUARANTEED QUALITY: Requires no rewiring; easy…
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS: Malfunction and low battery warnings allow you to easily know…
- ACCURATE, RELIABLE & HIGHLY SENSITIVE: Equipped with both photoelectric and electrochemical…
- Test function, hush button and low battery alert
- 10 Year Warranty
- Sealed in battery that never needs replacing
* Affiliate link. We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. There are no additional costs for you. For the top 10 list we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a smoke detector test. Last Update 2021/01/26 22:42 o'clock.