Review10Best compares the best SSDs in the UK and selects the one by Crucial as the best SSD. In a SSD buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different SSDs and see a recommendation on which SSD to buy in the UK in 2022. By considering the top list of SSDs, you can find the best SSDs and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
Having the best SSD installed in your computer will significantly increase its performance, yet choosing the right hardware can be difficult, especially if you aren’t familiar with computer technology. Check out the buying guide below for all the information that you need to find a great SSD for your computer:
What are SSDs?
A solid-state drive (SSD) is a type of storage device for a computer. Using flash-based memory, the device features no moving internal parts, making it much more efficient than a hard disk drive (HDD), which was traditionally the main type of storage used for computers.
Why should you buy a good SSD?
The best SSDs significantly improve your computer’s performance when replacing an old HDD. The storage is much quicker so your computer will run games, apps, and programs much more efficiently. It also runs much cooler than an HDD, helping to avoid overheating issues, while its impressive durability means that it will last a long time.
How to choose the right SSD?
Not sure what to look for in a good solid-state drive? Here are some things to consider:
- Capacity: The higher the drive’s capacity the more it stores on your computer, so look at how much storage space your current drive uses and consider whether you need to increase this. The higher the capacity the more the SSD costs, although it’s certainly worth going as high as you can afford, as you’ll see an incredible improvement in your computer’s speed.
- Manufacturer: Not all SSDs are made the same quality, so be sure to choose a reputable manufacturer, otherwise your drive may run into all kinds of problems you’ll want to avoid. Given that the drive is holding your operating system and personal data, it’s never worth risking a low-quality SSD.
- Read/Write Speed: This is one of the main performance measurements used for an SSD, so the higher the read/write speed the better the drive performs. While all SSDs are faster than HHDs, those with the highest read/write speeds will operate the fastest, with 500MB/s and above being some of the higher speeds.
What is the best kind of SSD in the UK?
Here are the main types of solid-state drives (SSDs) currently available:
- mSATA SSDs: This is a small, compact SSD and is commonly used in laptops and smaller PCs. Also called mini-SATA, the name refers to both the small form and the interface it uses to connect to a computer.
- M.2 SSDs: A bare circuit drive like an mSATA SSD, the M.2 SSD is larger so can be used in different devices, although they are typically favoured for slim laptops and tablets. It can also support NVME for improved performance.
- PCIe SSDs: PCI express drives use the latest technology so are the most advanced available. Providing incredible speed and performance, although this is limited to the speed that’s included with the PCI-slot that it connects to. It’s also very expensive.
Top 10 list of SSDs in the UK (December 2022)
The bestseller list compares brands and their SSDs. Which SSD is the best?
- Crucial 3-year limited warranty
- Micron 3D NAND - Advancing the world's memory and storage technology for 40 year…
- Improves battery life because it’s 45x more energy efficient than a typical…
- Designed for mainstream PCs and laptops for personal, gaming, and business use
- Available Capacity: Up to 8 TB
- Form Factor: 2.5 Inch
- Model number: SA400S37/240G
- Multiple capacities with space for applications or a hard drive replacement
- More reliable and durable than a hard drive
- Available capacity: 1 TB
- Designed for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5-inch…
- Samsung Magician 6 Software: manage your drive with a range of useful tools to help…
- this product is compatible with the PS5.
- Allowable Voltage:3.3 V ± 5 %
- The Samsung Magician software optimises performance for you and keeps the drive up…
- Dynamic write acceleration delivers faster saves and file transfers
- AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption keeps data safe and secure from hackers and…
- Integrated Power Loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly…
- [Device Optimisation] maximise battery life for laptops/notebooks (lower power consumption…
- [Efficient] - improve typical PC/MAC workloads – simple installation
- [Durable and Reliable] – solid design with no internal moving parts ideal for…
- Please check Manufacturer manual for correct type of SSD for your PC/ Laptop/ Console…
- Voltage 3.3 V ± 5% Allowable voltage
- Designed for tech enthusiasts, hardcore gamers and professionals who need unrivaled…
- Backward compatibility with Gen3
- Rated at MTTF greater than 1.5 million hours for extended longevity and reliabil…
- Performs up to 43% faster than the fastest Gen3 NVMe SSDs
- 5-year limited warranty or up to the max endurance rating of 600TBW
- Rated at MTTF greater than 2 million hours for extended longevity and reliabilit…
- Built on our own leading Micron Advanced 3D NAND and innovative controller techn…
We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best SSDs, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a SSD test. Last Update: 2022/12/09.