Review10Best compares the best SSDs in the UK and selects the one by Samsung as the best SSD. In a SSD buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different SSDs and see a recommendation on which SSD to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of SSDs, you can find the best SSDs and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Having the best SSD installed in your computer will significantly increase its performance, yet choosing the right hardware can be difficult, especially if you aren’t familiar with computer technology. Check out the buying guide below for all the information that you need to find a great SSD for your computer:
What are SSDs?
A solid-state drive (SSD) is a type of storage device for a computer. Using flash-based memory, the device features no moving internal parts, making it much more efficient than a hard disk drive (HDD), which was traditionally the main type of storage used for computers.
Why should you buy a good SSD?
The best SSDs significantly improve your computer’s performance when replacing an old HDD. The storage is much quicker so your computer will run games, apps, and programs much more efficiently. It also runs much cooler than an HDD, helping to avoid overheating issues, while its impressive durability means that it will last a long time.
How to choose the right SSD?
Not sure what to look for in a good solid-state drive? Here are some things to consider:
- Capacity: The higher the drive’s capacity the more it stores on your computer, so look at how much storage space your current drive uses and consider whether you need to increase this. The higher the capacity the more the SSD costs, although it’s certainly worth going as high as you can afford, as you’ll see an incredible improvement in your computer’s speed.
- Manufacturer: Not all SSDs are made the same quality, so be sure to choose a reputable manufacturer, otherwise your drive may run into all kinds of problems you’ll want to avoid. Given that the drive is holding your operating system and personal data, it’s never worth risking a low-quality SSD.
- Read/Write Speed: This is one of the main performance measurements used for an SSD, so the higher the read/write speed the better the drive performs. While all SSDs are faster than HHDs, those with the highest read/write speeds will operate the fastest, with 500MB/s and above being some of the higher speeds.
What is the best kind of SSD in the UK?
Here are the main types of solid-state drives (SSDs) currently available:
- mSATA SSDs: This is a small, compact SSD and is commonly used in laptops and smaller PCs. Also called mini-SATA, the name refers to both the small form and the interface it uses to connect to a computer.
- M.2 SSDs: A bare circuit drive like an mSATA SSD, the M.2 SSD is larger so can be used in different devices, although they are typically favoured for slim laptops and tablets. It can also support NVME for improved performance.
- PCIe SSDs: PCI express drives use the latest technology so are the most advanced available. Providing incredible speed and performance, although this is limited to the speed that’s included with the PCI-slot that it connects to. It’s also very expensive.
Top 10 list of SSDs in the UK (May 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their SSDs. Which SSD is the best?
- Available capacity: 1 TB
- Designed for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5-inch…
- Samsung Magician 6 Software: manage your drive with a range of useful tools to help…
- Dynamic write acceleration delivers faster saves and file transfers
- AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption keeps data safe and secure from hackers and…
- Integrated power loss immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly…
- Multiple capacities with space for applications or a hard drive replacement
- More reliable and durable than a hard drive
- Fast start-up, loading and file transfers
- Crucial 3-year limited warranty
- Micron 3D NAND - Advancing the world's memory and storage technology for 40 year…
- Improves battery life because it’s 45x more energy efficient than a typical…
- Monitor your drive’s available capacity, operating temperatures, SMART attributes…
- An SSD is designed with no moving parts to help protect against data loss if it is…
- For high-end computing applications like gaming, HD media playback, or creative…
- Designed for mainstream PCs and laptops for personal, gaming and business use
- Available Capacity : Up to 4 TB
- Form Factor : 2.5 Inch
- Designed for mainstream PCs and laptops for personal, gaming, and business use
- Available Capacity: Up to 8 TB
- Form Factor: 2.5 Inch
- RoHS Compliance
- Compact and light. Interface: compatible with USB 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps), backwards c…
- Metal minimalism
- ABOUT SANDISK: One of the largest manufacturers of flash memory products, the Californian…
- EASY TO SET UP: The SanDisk SSD Plus comes with easy, step-by-step instructions regarding…
- IDEAL FOR TYPICAL PC WORKLOADS: Delivering SLC caching which boosts burst write performance,…
- For PC and Mac users
- Compact and pocket-sized
- Shock-resistant solid state core for greater durability
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best SSDs, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a SSD test. Last Update: 2021/05/16.