Review10Best compares the best subwoofers in the UK and selects the one by Amazon as the best subwoofer. In a subwoofer buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different subwoofers and see a recommendation on which subwoofer to buy in the UK in 2021. By considering the top list of subwoofers, you can find the best subwoofers and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate subwoofer buying guide
- View the subwoofer picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
The best subwoofer adds a new element to music, producing the deeper sounds that standard speakers can’t reach, making them popular in home theatre and car audio systems. However, choosing a subwoofer is a daunting prospect, with all kinds of specs and technical terms you need to familiarise yourself with.
To make the process easier, check out this handy subwoofer buying guide. It has all the information you need to find the best subwoofers for any situation.
What are subwoofers?
A subwoofer is a type of speaker that produces low pitched audio frequencies below 30Hz. As a result, the speaker provides exceptional quality bass when listening to music and other audio, making it a popular option for home theatre systems and in-car audio systems.
Why should you buy a good subwoofer?
The best subwoofers can reproduce sound frequencies below 30Hz, which is notably lower than most standard speakers, which tend to stop at around 50Hz. This means they produce incredibly quality and clarity for bass tones in music, so everything you listen to with a subwoofer sounds far better than without.
How to choose the right subwoofer?
Finding a good subwoofer can be challenging, so here are a few things to consider:
- Size: The driver inside a subwoofer is responsible for producing the sound, so the size of this impacts the level and quality of sound produced. Most standard subwoofers are 12”, producing fantastic sound for a reasonable price. 8” subwoofers are available, taking up less space while also being more affordable, although the sound may not be as good compared to 12” models. Plus, some are 15” and above, producing exceptional bass but also taking up a lot of space and costing significantly more.
- Power: Most subwoofers have an external amplifier to power the speaker, so it’s worth checking the power rating to determine a subwoofer’s quality. Mostly measured in RMS wattage, 100-150 watts are a good starting point, and anything up to 500 watts will produce fantastic sound quality, although the higher you go the more it costs!
- Frequency Range: Humans can hear sound frequencies to around 20Hz while our bodies can feel the sound even lower at about 10Hz. Subwoofers should have a frequency range starting at around 30Hz, and the lower this gets to 20Hz the better the bass is going to sound. Modern subwoofers tend to reach around 25Hz, which is fine for most people, while some can reach below 20Hz but they will cost a serious amount of cash so are probably overkill for most buyers.
What is the best kind of subwoofer in the UK?
Here are the most popular types of subwoofers available to buy:
- Passive Subwoofers: This type of subwoofer has an external amplifier that powers the driver. It’s not the most common type and does require more complex setup to the rest of a speaker system, as a subwoofer requires more power than standard speakers, making it difficult to connect to speaker terminals.
- Powered Subwoofers: This most widely available type of subwoofer, powered types feature an internal amplifier that powers the driver, making it much easier to connect to the rest of the sound system. They also allow you to make more adjustments, as most come with individual settings.
Top 10 list of subwoofers in the UK (July 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their subwoofers. Which subwoofer is the best?
- Simple to set up and use–just plug in, open the Alexa App and wirelessly connect…
- Pair with two of the same compatible Echo devices for rich left/right stereo sou…
- Pair with one Echo or Echo Plus (sold separately) to enjoy dynamic music that fills…
- Stylish addition to any room
- 20 cm (8”) cone woofer
- Advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II)
- Dimensions including feet 360 x 330 x 340 (mm) Weight 20Kg
- Variable low pass crossover slope adjustment and Variable phase adjustment
- Line level high pass output
- Convenient Protection : These multimedia mini-speakers come protected with a 2-Year…
- Multimedia Connectivity : The 3.5mm audio cable and RCA inputs provides a convenient…
- Custom Audio Control : This portable PC multimedia speaker system comes built with…
- Front Control Panel for Easy Operation
- 25 cm (10") Cone Woofer Unit with Square Wire
- Advanced YST II for Awesome Deep Bass
- Included components: Polk PSW 10e Subwoofer
- Unique design keeps your subwoofer stable and steady even at radical volume levels,…
- The PSW10E blends perfectly with systems composed of other Polk loudspeakers
- Ported Enclosure Type, 2 x 170mm Bass Unit, 140W rms Amplified Power, 50Hz - 150Hz…
- The 3070S subwoofer perfectly complements all Q Acoustics 3000 and 2000i series stereo…
- COMPACT SIZE - Its compact design sits comfortably between the Panasonic TV stands,…
- BLUETOOTH WIRELESS STREAMING - Enjoy music from your smartphone or tablet in high…
- WIRELESS SUBWOOFER - Adds greater depth to the sound. The wireless subwoofer can…
- Speaker level input option
- Wired remote control (level/Freq/Phase control)
- aluminium die cast frame
- Home cinema experience: Easily operate the stylish soundbar with the supplied remote…
- Ideal for TV, movies, music and gaming: With a pre-set equaliser for different sound…
- Aux in option: As well as Bluetooth connectivity, this soundbar allows you to easily…
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best subwoofers, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a subwoofer test. Last Update: 2021/07/31.