Review10Best compares the best secateurs in Australia and selects the one by Spear & Jackson as the best secateurs. In a secateurs buying guide, you can read more about the features of the different secateurs and see a recommendation on which secateurs to buy in Australia in 2021. By considering the top list of secateurs, you can find the best secateurs and save time shopping online.
Table of contents
- Read the ultimate secateurs buying guide
- View the secateurs picks and see how they rank in the top list
SEE THE TOP 10 LIST →
(skip buying guide)
Having a good set of secateurs is worthwhile for any gardening enthusiast. A versatile tool used for all kinds of trimming, cutting, and pruning, secateurs are a great piece of gardening equipment that is available for an affordable price. However, it’s important to consider a few things before you buy anything to ensure that you find the best secateurs possible. Check out the buying guide below for more information on how to choose the right secateurs for your garden:
What are secateurs?
Secateurs are a type of pruning scissors used to cut back growth on various plants and flowers throughout the garden. An often-overlooked piece of gardening equipment, secateurs are a one-handed device that lets you remove growth of varying lengths and thicknesses, ensuring your garden looks great while encouraging healthy plant growth.
Why should you buy a good secateurs?
Secateurs are a highly versatile piece of gardening equipment, being suitable for all kinds of maintenance like pruning, trimming, and cutting. Pruning is especially important for healthy plants, so by owning the best secateurs you can ensure everything in your garden looks neat and tidy while growing to their full potential.
For example, dead and dying branches should always be removed from plants so that energy goes towards growing healthier parts, while fruits and vegetables often see bigger yields through regular pruning. Also, a lot of plants grow quickly out of control, so with a good set of secateurs in hand, you can stay on top of your plant maintenance.
How to choose the right secateurs?
Here are some things to think about to help you find the best secateurs:
- Pruning Requirements: There are several types of secateurs, with some being better suited for different types of pruning, so it helps to think about what you are pruning in the garden. For example, bypass secateurs are best for thinner growth found on flowers, fruits, vegetables, while anvil secateurs are more suited for pruning thicker growth on trees and shrubs. If you have lots of different plants that need pruning, buying both types of secateurs may be worthwhile.
- Blade Shape: Look at the shape of the secateurs and consider whether it is best suited for your needs, as some are designed for working in tighter spaces. For example, bypass secateurs tend to work best in tight spots where you need to make a clean cut on the plant, such as when pruning a rose bush.
- Cutting Power: Secateurs come with varying levels of cutting power, so be sure to check this and make sure it meets your requirements. For instance, ratchet secateurs come with additional cutting power that is perfect for woody growth like thick shrub branches, although they require more effort to produce a cut. If cutting through green growth like flowers and vegetables, less power is needed so you should be fine with a geared system, which is weaker but much easier to operate.
What is the best kind of secateurs in Australia?
There are several popular types of secateurs available to buy:
- Bypass Secateurs: Bypass secateurs are the best choice for general use around the garden, consisting of a single curved blade that bypasses a thick section of metal, producing a motion similar to scissors. They are suitable for various types of growth, even being capable of cutting through wooden branches, although working best on flowers, fruits, vegetables, and small plants.
- Anvil Secateurs: When you have lots of thick, woody branches that need pruning, anvil secateurs are the best option to choose. They consist of a blade that is sharpened on both sides which meets a flat anvil to produce the cutting action - like a knife hitting a chopping board. The cutting strength does mean it’s best for branches with larger diameters, as it won’t produce a clean cut on thinner growth.
Top 10 list of secateurs in Australia (September 2021)
The bestseller list compares brands and their secateurs. Which secateurs is the best?
- Package Dimensions: 28.0 L X 16.5 H X 18.5 W (centimeters)
- Comfort Soft Grip Handles
- Strong Lightweight Aluminium Body
- Rubber cushion and shock absorber
- A hardened bolt and nut to assure exact adjustment of both the cutting and anvil…
- Anvil blade with a sap groove
- Battery status indicator gives quick information about charge level of the batte…
- Bypass cutting system with two stainless steel blades
- Easily recharge with the dedicated Bosch micro USB charger
- Lifetime warranty
- Maximum cutting capacity: 5/8 inch diamater
- Low-friction coating helps blade glide through wood, prevents the blades from gumming…
- Ergonomic soft grip handles
- Ptfe coated blades for rust resistance and smooth cutting
- Sk5 carbon steel blades
- Hollow-ground, the swiss precision, hardened steel blade features a wire-cutting…
- The anvil blade handle is designed to prevent the pruner from sliding through the…
- Light alloy handles are shaped to act as an extension of the forearm
- Left or Right hand use
- Designed for large hands
- 290g weight
- [EXTENSIVELY APPLIED] - Professional Garden Shears, garden squid shears, horticultural…
- [STURDY CUTTING] - Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are durable, lightweight,…
- [DURABLE AND NON-RUSTING]-Bending fruit branch cut three-edged design, sharp, high…
- Package Dimensions: 2.8 L X 11.5 H X 1.2 W (centimeters)
- Light Weight Ergonomic Pp Handles
- Ptfe Coated For Rust Resistance And Smooth Cutting Action
* We participate in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For the list of the best secateurs, we consider only products that are available on Amazon while the ranking is based on factors such as customer reviews, number of sales and keyword. It is not a secateurs test. Last Update: 2021/09/23.